News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Lufthansa Heist  ( 2,909 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Lufthansa Heist
« on: January 31, 2016, 03:54:43 PM »
Written in co-operation with Henry Hill, this book claims to shed new light on the Lufthansa Heist (partially detailed in Goodfellas), but doesn't really get past the fact that while Hill knew the basics, he didn't take part in the planning or execution of the robbery.  So basically the narrative ping-pongs between 1st person narration from Hill and what can best be described as "historical supposition" as the author describes the events as they (probably) occurred.  Still, it never moves past the basics which is that a bunch of guys pulled off one of the largest cash robberies in history at JFK and then Jimmy Burke killed them all so the crime was never solved.  The last 1/4 of the book is basically a rehash of Hill's arrest and entry into the Witness Protection Program based on the hope that he'd be able to connect Burke and Paul Vario to the crime (instead he connected them to a bunch of other ones).

Since both Goodfellas and Wiseguy exist, you're probably better off watching/reading those instead.

Disclaimer: I have never read Wiseguy but I have to believe it's a much better read than this book.  The author seems to have spent the 3 years between Hill's death and the book's publication perfecting the art of torturing similes to death.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Lufthansa Heist
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 03:59:24 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 31, 2016, 03:54:43 PM
Written in co-operation with Henry Hill, this book claims to shed new light on the Lufthansa Heist (partially detailed in Goodfellas), but doesn't really get past the fact that while Hill knew the basics, he didn't take part in the planning or execution of the robbery.  So basically the narrative ping-pongs between 1st person narration from Hill and what can best be described as "historical supposition" as the author describes the events as they (probably) occurred.  Still, it never moves past the basics which is that a bunch of guys pulled off one of the largest cash robberies in history at JFK and then Jimmy Burke killed them all so the crime was never solved.  The last 1/4 of the book is basically a rehash of Hill's arrest and entry into the Witness Protection Program based on the hope that he'd be able to connect Burke Paul Vario to the crime (instead he connected them to a bunch of other ones).

Since both Goodfellas and Wiseguy exist, you're probably better off watching/reading those instead.

Disclaimer: I have never read Wiseguy but I have to believe it's a much better read than this book.  The author seems to have spent the 3 years between Hill's death and the book's publication perfecting the art of torturing similes to death.

Wiseguy is an excellent read, I recommend it highly.
You'll have it done in two days and want more.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
Quote from: flannj on January 31, 2016, 03:59:24 PM
Written in co-operation with Henry Hill, this book claims to shed new light on the Lufthansa Heist (partially detailed in Goodfellas), but doesn't really get past the fact that while Hill knew the basics, he didn't take part in the planning or execution of the robbery.  So basically the narrative ping-pongs between 1st person narration from Hill and what can best be described as "historical supposition" as the author describes the events as they (probably) occurred.  Still, it never moves past the basics which is that a bunch of guys pulled off one of the largest cash robberies in history at JFK and then Jimmy Burke killed them all so the crime was never solved.  The last 1/4 of the book is basically a rehash of Hill's arrest and entry into the Witness Protection Program based on the hope that he'd be able to connect Burke Paul Vario to the crime (instead he connected them to a bunch of other ones).

Excellent, I need a palate cleanser after this one.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:26:12 AM »
Quote from: flannj on January 31, 2016, 03:59:24 PM

Seconded.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.