News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Heavy Water war  ( 3,112 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Heavy Water war
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
WWII buffs and human beings in general will really enjoy this story of the Germans invading Norway and trying to produce the heavy water Heisenberg thought he needed to give the Nazis a nuke.

It covers both the German science perspective and the Norwegian/British perspective with the third perspective of the owner of the Norsk Hydro plant that was used to make the heavy water and eventually sabotaged multiple times.

It's a six parter with each episode clocking in around 45 minutes. It's on Netflix.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Heavy Water war
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 02, 2016, 11:18:16 AM
WWII buffs and human beings in general will really enjoy this story of the Germans invading Norway and trying to produce the heavy water Heisenberg thought he needed to give the Nazis a nuke.

It covers both the German science perspective and the Norwegian/British perspective with the third perspective of the owner of the Norsk Hydro plant that was used to make the heavy water and eventually sabotaged multiple times.

It's a six parter with each episode clocking in around 45 minutes. It's on Netflix.

Was looking for something to have on in the background and saw it this morning and thought about it. Is it in English? Or subtitled?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on March 02, 2016, 11:20:18 AM

Was looking for something to have on in the background and saw it this morning and thought about it. Is it in English? Or subtitled?

Half in English (when they're in Britain) and half in Norwegian/Danish/German. They use the language that the actual people would have been speaking which is something US made shows never do. I appreciate it but others may not. Subtitles will be a big part of your experience.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 02, 2016, 11:25:21 AM

Half in English (when they're in Britain) and half in Norwegian/Danish/German. They use the language that the actual people would have been speaking which is something US made shows never do. I appreciate it but others may not. Subtitles will be a big part of your experience.

Cool. Kind of what I figured. Subtitles don't make for good background viewing while working on other stuff, but I'll check it out some other time.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:52:41 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on March 02, 2016, 11:27:02 AM

Cool. Kind of what I figured. Subtitles don't make for good background viewing while working on other stuff, but I'll check it out some other time.

This sounds really interesting. Thanks Slak.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »
Quote from: flannj on March 02, 2016, 11:52:41 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on March 02, 2016, 11:27:02 AM

This sounds really interesting. Thanks Slak.

Any of the people who've ever posted in the books section about war books would love this series.

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:54:09 PM »
Excellent show!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »
This show was badass. I never thought a cross country skiing chase could be so intense.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 12:08:44 AM »
I forgot about this thread and just binged the first three episodes.

It's really well done.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
DPD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K3Ry2K4yNE
This was outstanding and everyone with even the slightest interest in WWII history should watch it.

For the Breaking Bad fans here you can learn all about Werner Heisenberg.
As an added bonus the three major female characters are very easy on the eyes.