News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: John Lackey's Blazing Horse House Inferno  ( 41,074 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: John Lackey's Blazing Horse House Inferno
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2017, 07:51:52 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 26, 2017, 01:26:28 AM
I don't know what kind of deal Jesse Rogers has going with John Lackey, but this bizarre story arguing he should stay in the rotation is some major league bullshit toleration.

Maddon is right in one respect: The Cubs have enough in their rotation right now to win their division. That includes John Lackey, who won his seventh game Tuesday while lowering his ERA under 5.00 for the first time in a month. You can view his four hit batters on Tuesday -- three of which came in one inning -- as a negative, but he gave up only two runs over five innings. He'll take the positives in that.

He made that pitch to Tim Anderson in the fifth inning, inducing a groundout to strand all three runners. Sure, Lackey is the first Cub to hit four batters in a game since 1957. But what's the difference if none of them scored?

Lackey left after allowing the first two batters on base in the sixth, but his pitching line was saved when reliever Carl Edwards Jr. escaped the jam unscathed. And that's the bottom line with Lackey right now: It isn't going to be pretty, but he can still get the job done as the No. 5 pitcher in the rotation.

How his conclusion is "gee, John sure can get it done!" instead of "damn, John sure is lucky Carl Edwards saved his ass" is beyond me. Plus, if Tim Anderson wasn't such a slapdick John easily could have given up 8 runs today. I'll save two spots in the firebarn so Jesse can join his buddy.

Does Jesse not realize the White Sox fucking suck? He gave up two hits and a walk to Omar Narvaez and his .664 OPS, gave up a hit to Anderson (.630), and a fucking scorched doubled by Carlos Rodon. Any team with an actual major league offense probably puts up 5-6 runs on him there.

Any chance someone can push him in front of a speeding garbage truck before he has to face Milwaukee Sunday?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:20 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 26, 2017, 09:06:02 AM
I don't know what kind of deal Jesse Rogers has going with John Lackey, but this bizarre story arguing he should stay in the rotation is some major league bullshit toleration.

Maddon is right in one respect: The Cubs have enough in their rotation right now to win their division. That includes John Lackey, who won his seventh game Tuesday while lowering his ERA under 5.00 for the first time in a month. You can view his four hit batters on Tuesday -- three of which came in one inning -- as a negative, but he gave up only two runs over five innings. He'll take the positives in that.

He made that pitch to Tim Anderson in the fifth inning, inducing a groundout to strand all three runners. Sure, Lackey is the first Cub to hit four batters in a game since 1957. But what's the difference if none of them scored?

Lackey left after allowing the first two batters on base in the sixth, but his pitching line was saved when reliever Carl Edwards Jr. escaped the jam unscathed. And that's the bottom line with Lackey right now: It isn't going to be pretty, but he can still get the job done as the No. 5 pitcher in the rotation.

How his conclusion is "gee, John sure can get it done!" instead of "damn, John sure is lucky Carl Edwards saved his ass" is beyond me. Plus, if Tim Anderson wasn't such a slapdick John easily could have given up 8 runs today. I'll save two spots in the firebarn so Jesse can join his buddy.

Does Jesse not realize the White Sox fucking suck? He gave up two hits and a walk to Omar Narvaez and his .664 OPS, gave up a hit to Anderson (.630), and a fucking scorched doubled by Carlos Rodon. Any team with an actual major league offense probably puts up 5-6 runs on him there.

Any chance someone can push him in front of a speeding garbage truck before he has to face Milwaukee Sunday?

I am currently holding out hope that Justin Verlander makes that start instead. I know people are hesitant about that contract but it's just 2 years unless he's top 5 in Cy voting in 2019 (in which case you'd probably be happy to take a 22 million dollar option on him for 2020 especially since the qualifying offer will be about that much by then) and with Quintana being so cheap Verlander/Quintana next year would make about 37 mil while the Lackey/Arrieta combo was already making 31 mil this year. Verlander could be a big upgrade at #5 that would presumably not really hamper their long term plans for any FA starters either.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2017, 09:39:20 AM

I am currently holding out hope that Justin Verlander makes that start instead. I know people are hesitant about that contract but it's just 2 years unless he's top 5 in Cy voting in 2019 (in which case you'd probably be happy to take a 22 million dollar option on him for 2020 especially since the qualifying offer will be about that much by then) and with Quintana being so cheap Verlander/Quintana next year would make about 37 mil while the Lackey/Arrieta combo was already making 31 mil this year. Verlander could be a big upgrade at #5 that would presumably not really hamper their long term plans for any FA starters either.

Verlander would give the Cubs a rotation that is under control for two more years. By then they should be able to start looking to the farm for replacements.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 26, 2017, 11:22:20 AM

Verlander would give the Cubs a rotation that is under control for two more years. By then they should be able to start looking to the farm for replacements.

Lackey for Verlander straight up.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 26, 2017, 11:28:00 AM

I'm hoping for more Verlander+Avila for Candelario and the AAAA guys, some lotto tickets in the lower minors, and the Cubs eating a fuck ton of cash and shooting Lackey into the sun.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: July 26, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2017, 11:32:52 AM

I'm hoping for more Verlander+Avila for Candelario and the AAAA guys, some lotto tickets in the lower minors, and the Cubs eating a fuck ton of cash and shooting Lackey into the sun.

I think the more likely scenario is Candelario to the Mets for Rivera and Lackey being left off the postseason roster. But I do think Verlander could be useful to the Cubs.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: July 26, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 26, 2017, 01:12:56 PM

I think the more likely scenario is Candelario to the Mets for Rivera and Lackey being left off the postseason roster. But I do think Verlander could be useful to the Cubs.

Candelario is hardly a top prospect and he's not a headliner of a big deal but I would also hope he's worth more than a replacement level backup catcher.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: July 26, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2017, 01:21:28 PM

Candelario is hardly a top prospect and he's not a headliner of a big deal but I would also hope he's worth more than a replacement level backup catcher.

Candelario for all of Verlander's contract net of Lackey's DFA cost.

And Kate.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: July 26, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 26, 2017, 02:02:22 PM

And Kate.

You don't think she's too fat?
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: July 26, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 26, 2017, 02:03:53 PM

And Kate.

Chuck has been owned online.

I've come around to Verlander too. Candelario is never getting any time to play unless Kris Bryant dies in a Red Bull stunt gone horribly wrong. I'd rather see what Verlander has left than watch Lackey reliably suck, too.

All bets are off if they can land a Sonny Gray or even a Yu Darvish but that's looking extremely unlikely.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #310 on: July 26, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 26, 2017, 02:27:55 PM

I've come around to Verlander too. Candelario is never getting any time to play unless Kris Bryant dies in a Red Bull stunt gone horribly wrong. I'd rather see what Verlander has left than watch Lackey reliably suck, too.

All bets are off if they can land a Sonny Gray or even a Yu Darvish but that's looking extremely unlikely.

Yeah in my mind they aren't acquiring Verlander to be Justin VerlanderTM they are acquiring him to be a better version of John Lackey. I would still hope they'd go out in the offseason and chase a guy like Darvish, but with the prospects they have left Verlander might bet he best guy left that can help this year and also hold down a spot next year.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #311 on: July 26, 2017, 03:09:57 PM »

And Kate.

She's only 25% of a Hendricks.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2017, 08:13:14 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 26, 2017, 03:09:57 PM

And Kate.

She's only 25% of a Hendricks.

Boooooo. Chuck Trump, everyone.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2017, 10:34:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2017, 02:48:39 PM

Yeah in my mind they aren't acquiring Verlander to be Justin VerlanderTM they are acquiring him to be a better version of John Lackey. I would still hope they'd go out in the offseason and chase a guy like Darvish, but with the prospects they have left Verlander might bet he best guy left that can help this year and also hold down a spot next year.

I'm sorry, but are you guys soberly discussing dealing Candelario to replace a 5th starter with 10 more starts this year who wouldn't even project to be in the playoff  rotation?  Am I missing something here?  I'm not even that attached to Candelario and I have my doubts that he's anything more than AAAA but you still don't just throw a guy like that away, which is what you'd be doing for 10 Verlander starts to ensure a division that would be won with Lackey--unless you're talking about Verlander replacing Arrieta which, okay if it's worth it I guess go ahead but otherwise I think your collective hatred of Lackey is really driving some of you guys to Stupidville.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2017, 11:16:43 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on July 26, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 26, 2017, 02:48:39 PM

I'm sorry, but are you guys soberly discussing dealing Candelario to replace a 5th starter with 10 more starts this year who wouldn't even project to be in the playoff  rotation?  Am I missing something here?  I'm not even that attached to Candelario and I have my doubts that he's anything more than AAAA but you still don't just throw a guy like that away, which is what you'd be doing for 10 Verlander starts to ensure a division that would be won with Lackey--unless you're talking about Verlander replacing Arrieta which, okay if it's worth it I guess go ahead but otherwise I think your collective hatred of Lackey is really driving some of you guys to Stupidville.

Verlander is under control for more than just this year, IDITO. He's signed through 2019 with a 2020 vesting option.

He's a replacement for Lackey starting now through 2019 and that's probably what Candelario is worth. Not just ten starts.