News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: This. Fucking. Bullpen.  ( 48,158 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: This. Fucking. Bullpen.
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2016, 09:04:52 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 29, 2016, 08:57:37 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 29, 2016, 07:26:17 AM
There were a number of fans questioning the move of pulling Lackey after six, and I really don't know how anyone could prefer a third time through the order of John Lackey to a well-rested Pedro Strop. Hell I'm not sure there's any Cubs starter right now I don't want Joe to pull after six if the game is close and Strop/Rondon/Chapman are rested.

And, if they're not rested, you still have Edwards, Nathan, and (hopefully good) Grimm.

I almost wish would start mixing and matching instead of always going to those three in a predictable manner. Sun in Edwards for Strop or Rondon once in a while, let Nathan pitch a 7th inning...whatever.

Man, this may be fun.

Today will be a mix & match day. Chapman won't be available, and I'm guessing no Rondon either.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 29, 2016, 09:04:52 AM
There were a number of fans questioning the move of pulling Lackey after six, and I really don't know how anyone could prefer a third time through the order of John Lackey to a well-rested Pedro Strop. Hell I'm not sure there's any Cubs starter right now I don't want Joe to pull after six if the game is close and Strop/Rondon/Chapman are rested.

And, if they're not rested, you still have Edwards, Nathan, and (hopefully good) Grimm.

I almost wish would start mixing and matching instead of always going to those three in a predictable manner. Sun in Edwards for Strop or Rondon once in a while, let Nathan pitch a 7th inning...whatever.

Man, this may be fun.

Today will be a mix & match day. Chapman won't be available, and I'm guessing no Rondon either.

I guess my point is that the second tier is still really good, too.

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
Tier 1A

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on July 29, 2016, 09:14:52 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 29, 2016, 09:04:52 AM

Man, this may be fun.

I guess my point is that the second tier is still really good, too.

The cascade effect of adding just one more good arm is huge. Montgomery is due to not suck at some point as well given how well he was doing in Seattle. Grimm has also looked like 2015 Grimm in his last 7 or 8 appearances. Chapman/Rondon/Strop/Edwards/Grimm/Montgomery should be as good of a late inning mix as there is in the game right now.

I just hope Joe starts to rely less on Travis Wood now that he's got more options because Wood's peripherals definitely indicate he should be a mop up guy. His success in high leverage spots so far this year owes to a ludicrously low sub .200 BABIP and a really high LOB%, because he's walked everyone while striking out hardly anyone and giving up plenty of dingers. Same with Cahill. They should be viewed as mop up and long guys, not middle relief/set up.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Edwards is the guy who I find is the most fun to watch. That filthy breaking ball with 95 MPH heat is just not fair.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »
I have totally forgotten about Mike Montgomery.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 29, 2016, 09:33:51 AM
Edwards is the guy who I find is the most fun to watch. That filthy breaking ball with 95 MPH heat is just not fair.
Am I the only one who thinks that he would like to buy Edwards a good meal every time I see him take the mound?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 29, 2016, 12:13:00 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 29, 2016, 09:33:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that he would like to buy Edwards a good meal every time I see him take the mound?

I keep thinking he's wearing a youth jersey.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
Welp.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »
There goes my joyful positive. Even when Arriota pitches a good game this team doesn'the help him...

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on July 30, 2016, 03:31:45 PM
There goes my joyful positive. Even when Arriota pitches a good game this team doesn'the help him...

Whatever "good game" he had going totally got erased by the inexcusable sin of walking the 7 and 8 hitters to open the 8th.  I hope it's good for Theo and company to have instant feedback showing that the Chapman trade was really, really dumb, but this one is on Jake.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 30, 2016, 03:34:15 PM

Whatever "good game" he had going totally got erased by the inexcusable sin of walking the 7 and 8 hitters to open the 8th.  I hope it's good for Theo and company to have instant feedback showing that the Chapman trade was really, really dumb, but this one is on Jake.

The Cubs have a so-called three-headed monster in their bullpen, with the intent of them taking over games from the 7th inning. Why the fuck was Jake pitching in the 8th to begin with? Cubs had a lead, Jake was the winning pitcher, time to bring out the Hydra.
M'lady.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 30, 2016, 03:41:21 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 30, 2016, 03:34:15 PM

The Cubs have a so-called three-headed monster in their bullpen, with the intent of them taking over games from the 7th inning. Why the fuck was Jake pitching in the 8th to begin with? Cubs had a lead, Jake was the winning pitcher, time to bring out the Hydra.

There's also this spot-on perspective.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
Hey, yes Arrieta walked the 1st 2 batters, but did we have to bring in Chapman when we had Rondon(a VERY good pitcher) that had just gotten 2 outs with no runs scored? And Kudos to the guy catching up to the 100 mph fastball for a 2-run 2B for the lead. That's not going to happen very often looking at Chapman's #'s. It's not like we had Wood/Montgomery out there and Chapman was WAY better than them.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2016, 07:55:30 AM »
Pretty goddamn ridiculous that Theo traded for a shutdown closer and that he gave up a hit.

This trade was dumb because the Cubs already had a closer who sucks because he gives up runs at disproportionately wrong times
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015