News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: This. Fucking. Bullpen.  ( 48,151 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: This. Fucking. Bullpen.
« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
Well then.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:56 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2017, 08:42:00 AM
Rondon's looking pretty damn good lately. How soon until Joe tries him in a high-leverage situation?

Fucking FORKSCOUT.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 22, 2017, 02:32:56 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 19, 2017, 08:42:00 AM
Rondon's looking pretty damn good lately. How soon until Joe tries him in a high-leverage situation?

Fucking FORKSCOUT.

This is pretty impressive.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
By this point, I am confident that we're all baseball plebes compared to Theo, but, rather than go after another top-of-the-line starter (especially one that might turn out to be a rental), wouldn't it make more sense to grab another top-of-the-line reliever, who could be a Miller type in the post season?
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 23, 2017, 06:02:29 PM
By this point, I am confident that we're all baseball plebes compared to Theo, but, rather than go after another top-of-the-line starter (especially one that might turn out to be a rental), wouldn't it make more sense to grab another top-of-the-line reliever, who could be a Miller type in the post season?

Who is the Miller type you think they should get?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 23, 2017, 06:59:32 PM

I'm not even going to bother to exercise the brain cells on a hypothetical, but while he was universally seen as being an amazing set-up man, Miller didn't achieve his mythical status until after the Indians traded for him and used him in an unconventional, and highly successful, way. I would have to think that there are some non-competitive teams out there who have amazing set-up men that they might be persuaded to trade, and probably for a smaller package than whoever the Cubs give up to yield a pitcher like Darvish. And while we're on the subject, if the Cubs did go out and get Darvish, who would he be replacing on the playoff roster as a starter?
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2017, 12:02:05 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 23, 2017, 09:33:48 PM

I'm not even going to bother to exercise the brain cells on a hypothetical, but while he was universally seen as being an amazing set-up man, Miller didn't achieve his mythical status until after the Indians traded for him and used him in an unconventional, and highly successful, way. I would have to think that there are some non-competitive teams out there who have amazing set-up men that they might be persuaded to trade, and probably for a smaller package than whoever the Cubs give up to yield a pitcher like Darvish. And while we're on the subject, if the Cubs did go out and get Darvish, who would he be replacing on the playoff roster as a starter?

I'm sorry are you arguing that Andrew Miller, he of the 48 million dollar contract,who was traded for a top 100 prospect among others, wasn't well known or acknowledged as an elite reliever before he ended up in Cleveland?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2017, 01:15:45 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 24, 2017, 12:02:05 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on July 23, 2017, 09:33:48 PM

I'm sorry are you arguing that Andrew Miller, he of the 48 million dollar contract,who was traded for a top 100 prospect among others, wasn't well known or acknowledged as an elite reliever before he ended up in Cleveland?

Yeah... I don't understand this Kurt argument at all.

I'll take a crack at the Darvish question though.

1. Lester
2. Darvish
3. Quintana
4. Arrieta/Hendricks -- whoever pitched better down the stretch

Bullpen:
Montgomery
Hendricks/Arrieta

Back home in Texas, aggressively questioning his wife whether or not she has cancer yet, and definitely not within 100 names of the playoff roster:
Lackey

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »
I mean, if they could actualy get Britton, that would be cool I guess.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2017, 08:07:52 AM »
...but really though, did Kurt just block out the 9 million sportswriters who were trying to trade Kyle Schwarber for Andrew Miller last year because he was TEH MISSING PIECE? If so, good work I guess
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 24, 2017, 08:07:52 AM...but really though, did Kurt just block out the 9 million sportswriters who were trying to trade Kyle Schwarber for Andrew Miller last year because he was TEH MISSING PIECE? If so, good work I guess

Kurt, no one will think any less of you if you visit this thread and admit you have never actually watched baseball.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 24, 2017, 08:07:52 AM
...but really though, did Kurt just block out the 9 million sportswriters who were trying to trade Kyle Schwarber for Andrew Miller last year because he was TEH MISSING PIECE? If so, good work I guess

I kind of expected people to focus on that.

QuoteI'm not even going to bother to exercise the brain cells on a hypothetical, but while he was universally seen as being an amazing set-up man, Miller didn't achieve his mythical status until after the Indians traded for him and used him in an unconventional, and highly successful, way. I would have to think that there are some non-competitive teams out there who have amazing set-up men that they might be persuaded to trade, and probably for a smaller package than whoever the Cubs give up to yield a pitcher like Darvish. And while we're on the subject, if the Cubs did go out and get Darvish, who would he be replacing on the playoff roster as a starter?
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »
Kurt: Wouldn't this hypothetical deal be great?
Also Kurt: I don't waste brain cells on hypotheticals.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: July 25, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 24, 2017, 11:26:34 PM
Kurt: Wouldn't this hypothetical deal be great?
Also Kurt: I don't waste brain cells on hypotheticals.

Just being realistic - we don't possess the same tools as Theo or any other exec, so any specific trade scenario we cook up would be ill-informed at best. I think there's a pretty significant difference between saying "why not a reliable reliever" and saying "this guy for these guys."
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »
MotherFUCK.