Author Topic: Pitching in a Pinch  (Read 808 times)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
  • SUCCESSFUL MESSIAH
    • View Profile
    • Hire Jim Essian
Pitching in a Pinch
« on: May 17, 2016, 07:50:37 AM »
Christy Mathewson's book on pitching is available here as the free book of the day.  It's probably out of copyright anyway but I can't be arsed to check.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • View Profile
    • Slak's Index
Re: Pitching in a Pinch
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:59:01 AM »
Christy Mathewson's book on pitching is available here as the free book of the day.  It's probably out of copyright anyway but I can't be arsed to check.

I hadn't thought about him in a while. Dying of tuberculosis at 45 is a raw deal.

Huey Potatohead

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
  • I HAS OPTOAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »

I hadn't thought about him in a while. Dying of tuberculosis at 45 is a raw deal.

Both Mathewson and Grover Cleveland Alexander were gassed in the Argonne forest in WWI.  So they not only shared the same # of career wins but essentially had their lives ruined by going off to fight.
So I think we've reached the point where MLB teams have hired every last one of the big/innovative brains that the old BP produced, and now we're left with a bunch of navel-gazing 25 year old chuckleheads.

--some dead guy

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
  • Why I don't go to St. Louis.
    • View Profile
    • HOCKEENIGHT
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:27:03 AM »
At some point in the early 90s, SABR went and voted for Cy Young awards for years prior to 1955 (when the award was created), and I think Mathewson got 8.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • View Profile
    • Slak's Index
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »

Both Mathewson and Grover Cleveland Alexander were gassed in the Argonne forest in WWI.  So they not only shared the same # of career wins but essentially had their lives ruined by going off to fight.

God, fuck World War I so hard.