News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Stranger Things  ( 2,563 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Stranger Things
« on: July 22, 2016, 06:35:00 AM »
I don't really know how to describe this other than it's really good. It's a new Netflix sci-fi/horror/mystery series that pays a lot of homage to the 80s era films. Think lots of Goonies and ET with some Stephen King and Spielberg mixed in. Maybe a little Explorers and Stand By Me, too.

That formula (Look! Nostalgia!) should wear thin over the course of 8 hours, but it really doesn't get tired here. Winona Ryder is the headliner. My wife didn't like her acting, but I didn't think it was terrible. Matthew Modine has a pretty small but prominent part. The only other castmember I recognized was David Harbour who plays Reed Ackley on Manhattan. After his intro scene in episode one where he does the "wake up in a shithole and drink a beer" routine, I was prepared for him to be a total cliche but I really ended up enjoying his character arc.

But the real reason to watch it is the kids who just absolutely crush it with their performances. They all come across as "80's kids" which is impressive considering they're slightly older than YouTube. So, there's probably a lot to be said for the job of the Director(s) in that respect.

Anyway, it's really good.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 22, 2016, 06:35:00 AM
I don't really know how to describe this other than it's really good. It's a new Netflix sci-fi/horror/mystery series that pays a lot of homage to the 80s era films. Think lots of Goonies and ET with some Stephen King and Spielberg mixed in. Maybe a little Explorers and Stand By Me, too.

That formula (Look! Nostalgia!) should wear thin over the course of 8 hours, but it really doesn't get tired here. Winona Ryder is the headliner. My wife didn't like her acting, but I didn't think it was terrible. Matthew Modine has a pretty small but prominent part. The only other castmember I recognized was David Harbour who plays Reed Ackley on Manhattan. After his intro scene in episode one where he does the "wake up in a shithole and drink a beer" routine, I was prepared for him to be a total cliche but I really ended up enjoying his character arc.

But the real reason to watch it is the kids who just absolutely crush it with their performances. They all come across as "80's kids" which is impressive considering they're slightly older than YouTube. So, there's probably a lot to be said for the job of the Director(s) in that respect.

Plowed through this rather quickly and it's fantastic.

I kind of hope they don't do another series.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 01, 2016, 10:21:16 AM

I found it very enjoyable.

I think there are lots of things left from the genres they were tapping into that could justify the creation of a second season. In fact, I would love to see more.
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:04 PM »
HOLY CRAP!
Charlie Brown Christmas does Stranger Things.
This should de-stress you before tonights game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPpm-igsRE

I love the soothing music bit.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 09, 2016, 03:18:52 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 01, 2016, 10:21:16 AM

I found it very enjoyable.

I think there are lots of things left from the genres they were tapping into that could justify the creation of a second season. In fact, I would love to see more.

Also quite enjoyable. The payoff isn't worthy of the setup, but still a lot of fun.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »
Stranger Bump. I just started watching the new season tonight. So far, so good.
M'lady.