News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Suicide Squad  ( 3,506 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Suicide Squad
« on: August 13, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »
The plot is weak and scattershot and basically amounts to "save the world from a big glowy beam thing" much like both Avengers and Man of Steel etc. If you're not fond or familiar with these characters and are tired of superhero movies stay away.

That said I actually liked it and really don't think it warrants most of the shit I have seen it get. It's nowhere near worse than BvS and it tries to have fun and mostly succeeds.

Viola Davis is a perfect Waller. Will Smith isn't really comics Deadshot but he's good enough as Will Smith. Robbie steals the show as Harley even if some of the Joker stuff is dumb. It's really a movie where you'll forgive its issues because you like the characters or you won't if you don't

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Suicide Squad
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:07:17 PM »
Honestly, I would never expect Will Smith to have the grimly comic death wish of Floyd Lawton. But I bet he played a fairly likable Will Smith as Floyd.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 13, 2016, 10:07:17 PM
Honestly, I would never expect Will Smith to have the grimly comic death wish of Floyd Lawton. But I bet he played a fairly likable Will Smith as Floyd.

Grim Death Wish Floyd would not have worked honestly. They needed the levity Smith brought. Honestly if you love the original Ostrander run and all of its quirks you should like this.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 14, 2016, 10:39:32 AM

Grim Death Wish Floyd would not have worked honestly. They needed the levity Smith brought. Honestly if you love the original Ostrander run and all of its quirks you should like this.

I suspected as much. Don't know if my ideal Floyd would work in any movie. He needs a lot of time to simmer.

I have managed my expectations of this movie to the point that as long as it is competent and has as little Leto as is possible then I will be just fine with it when I finally see it in like 6 years.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:23:08 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 15, 2016, 12:23:30 AM

I suspected as much. Don't know if my ideal Floyd would work in any movie. He needs a lot of time to simmer.

I have managed my expectations of this movie to the point that as long as it is competent and has as little Leto as is possible then I will be just fine with it when I finally see it in like 6 years.

I think weirdly enough it targeted the actual audience of Suicide Squad fans even more than I expected, because things people were put off by ("this one character is introduced as part of the team and then dies in like two seconds, what is up with that?!") were things I found hilarious because that is exactly the point of Suicide Squad

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 02:39:57 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2016, 08:23:08 AM

I think weirdly enough it targeted the actual audience of Suicide Squad fans even more than I expected, because things people were put off by ("this one character is introduced as part of the team and then dies in like two seconds, what is up with that?!") were things I found hilarious because that is exactly the point of Suicide Squad
Oh man, I love when some redshirt joins the squad for a nanosecond before getting killed, usually by being betrayed by a fellow squad member.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 15, 2016, 02:39:57 PM

Oh man, I love when some redshirt joins the squad for a nanosecond before getting killed, usually by being betrayed by a fellow squad member.

Indeed, it's very much straight out of the pages in that Boomerang never stops looking out for himself for the most part, they do more harm than good, most of their issues are self inflicted, the redshirt dies, and in the end the actual plot/bad guy is the least interesting part of the story, because the characters and their foibles are the main selling point.

I can see why it is failing beyond the demographics of "14 year old boys" and "people who read and memorized a 30 year old comic", but if you are either of those target demos you're going to like it, I think.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 03:16:21 PM »

I haven't seen the movie, but parts of Ostrander's original run were recently made available via my library and I had forgotten just how fricking 80's it was.

Also, I hear some people were surprised that Slipknot was introduced as a throwaway character to demonstrate that those exploding implants really do work.

I guess they didn't spend as much time reading comics blogs as I did in the mid-aughts.

http://daveslongbox.blogspot.com/2005/06/lame-ass-villain-7-slipknot.html

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 15, 2016, 03:16:21 PM

I haven't seen the movie, but parts of Ostrander's original run were recently made available via my library and I had forgotten just how fricking 80's it was.

Also, I hear some people were surprised that Slipknot was introduced as a throwaway character to demonstrate that those exploding implants really do work.

I guess they didn't spend as much time reading comics blogs as I did in the mid-aughts.

I was trying not to be spoilery but yeah that's what I meant. I've seen like 10 reviews criticizing the movie for introducing a "poorly developed character named Slipknot only to immediately dispose of him" and that was the one time I've ever really pushed up my glasses and said "Umm, REAL Suicide Squad fans wouldn't be bothered by that." I generally call people douchebags when they try to deflect criticism of a comic book movie with "REAL COMIC FANS GET IT" because any good movie should stand on its own to general audiences as well, but that was one where the comic geek in me was really happy even though most people wouldn't get it.

It was legit my favorite part of the movie. Boomerang convinces him to bolt just to see whether Waller is bluffing just like he did in the comics. The reaction on Boomerang's face when Slipknot goes boom is great.

I hope it does well enough to justify a sequel that will hopefully be less of a muddled, studio-plagued mess, because there's a lot of stuff I like in here that could be really, really great in a more cohesive movie.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2016, 03:26:42 PM

I was trying not to be spoilery but yeah that's what I meant. I've seen like 10 reviews criticizing the movie for introducing a "poorly developed character named Slipknot only to immediately dispose of him" and that was the one time I've ever really pushed up my glasses and said "Umm, REAL Suicide Squad fans wouldn't be bothered by that." I generally call people douchebags when they try to deflect criticism of a comic book movie with "REAL COMIC FANS GET IT" because any good movie should stand on its own to general audiences as well, but that was one where the comic geek in me was really happy even though most people wouldn't get it.

It was legit my favorite part of the movie. Boomerang convinces him to bolt just to see whether Waller is bluffing just like he did in the comics. The reaction on Boomerang's face when Slipknot goes boom is great.

I hope it does well enough to justify a sequel that will hopefully be less of a muddled, studio-plagued mess, because there's a lot of stuff I like in here that could be really, really great in a more cohesive movie.

I've read in various places that to make a profit for Warner Brothers it's going to need a billion dollar worldwide take.  Which is INSANE when you consider the property it's based on.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 15, 2016, 04:08:05 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 15, 2016, 03:26:42 PM

I've read in various places that to make a profit for Warner Brothers it's going to need a billion dollar worldwide take.  Which is INSANE when you consider the property it's based on.

I have heard 800 million tossed around but a guy who is pretty well connected w WB who writes for Forbes said that was crap and 600 mil was the break even. They were hoping at best to beat Guardians of the Galaxy and that did 770 million

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 10:36:59 PM »

I heard that was in the movie, and I have to say, that is by far my favorite Suicide Squad moment. A SS movie without that scene just wouldn't be right.

One thing I hope is changed from the comics is the fact that everyone seemed to think "Boomerbutt" is a funny nickname.

Oh, and Hard Grey's Night fans should know that if she was about 15 years older, my dream Amanda Waller would be Chandra Wilson, TV's Doctor Miranda Bailey.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 15, 2016, 10:36:59 PM

I heard that was in the movie, and I have to say, that is by far my favorite Suicide Squad moment. A SS movie without that scene just wouldn't be right.

One thing I hope is changed from the comics is the fact that everyone seemed to think "Boomerbutt" is a funny nickname.

Oh, and Hard Grey's Night fans should know that if she was about 15 years older, my dream Amanda Waller would be Chandra Wilson, TV's Doctor Miranda Bailey.

And mine would be CCH Pounder, which I already got, so...yeah.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 11:11:58 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 16, 2016, 09:09:04 AM
Quote from: Bort on August 15, 2016, 10:36:59 PM

And mine would be CCH Pounder, which I already got, so...yeah.
A CCH Pounder willing to gain like 150 pounds would be perfect...