News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Nice Guys  ( 5,967 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Nice Guys
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Nice Guys
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:52:30 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 17, 2016, 12:49:04 PM
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a buddy cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.

I have heard nothing but good about this. I look forward to finally seeing it in 2024.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
Quote from: Bort on August 17, 2016, 12:52:30 PM
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a buddy cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.

I have heard nothing but good about this. I look forward to finally seeing it in 2024.

Mrs. Butthead really wanted to see this. It's on our list right after the second Avengers movie, the latest Captain America movie, and basically every non-Star Wars movie that has come out in the last couple years. My point is we never go to movies since the kid showed up.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
Quote from: Tony on August 18, 2016, 09:37:03 AM

Mrs. Butthead really wanted to see this. It's on our list right after the second Avengers movie, the latest Captain America movie, and basically every non-Star Wars movie that has come out in the last couple years. My point is we never go to movies since the kid showed up.
Yep.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 18, 2016, 01:57:33 PM

Yep.

The upside of my highly memeable life living on a college campus is that there is never a shortage of babysitters willing to watch Augie for a couple of hours so we can go to the movies whenever there is something we really want to see. Most of them offer to do it for free so they can hang out with a baby and also enjoy free cable/Netflix on our Adult Sized TV. Usually we just pay them with food.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 18, 2016, 02:07:10 PM

Yep.

The upside of my highly memeable life living on a college campus is that there is never a shortage of babysitters willing to watch Augie for a couple of hours so we can go to the movies whenever there is something we really want to see. Most of them offer to do it for free so they can hang out with a baby and also enjoy free cable/Netflix on our Adult Sized TV. Usually we just pay them with food.

Yeah I'd be a little wary of such folk.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on August 18, 2016, 02:12:45 PM

Yep.

Well they are college aged girls. I'm not inviting Yeti over.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 18, 2016, 02:14:28 PM

Yep.

Unfortunately the perfect storm of 1. autistic child and 2. INCREDIBLY NERVOUS MOTHER means that we can only have certain people that she has vetted like crazy (such as, say, grandparents) watch him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »

Yep.

Middle name Ojeda? Your wife wouldn't go for Neifi?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 18, 2016, 02:23:39 PM

Yep.

Unfortunately the perfect storm of 1. autistic child and 2. INCREDIBLY NERVOUS MOTHER means that we can only have certain people that she has vetted like crazy (such as, say, grandparents) watch him.

These days we let, like, vagrants watch the Tonklets.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 02:59:00 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 18, 2016, 02:51:04 PM

Yep.

Middle name Ojeda? Your wife wouldn't go for Neifi?

I told my wife the day we settled on that name that "I give it ten seconds after I tell the world his name before the Desipio guys have meme'd that I named my son after Augie Ojeda". I think PenFoe was maybe the 4th or 5th reply on his birth announcement on facebook with exactly that.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »

Yep.

I'm responsible

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »

Yep.

You're not alone.  We didn't let anyone watch the kids for a long, long time, including (especially??) the grandparents.

To this day, my kids are 7 and 5 and my wife has never spent a night apart from them (except for one weekend when she went away with the 7-year old and left me with the 5-year old.)
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 18, 2016, 03:54:56 PM

Yep.

You're not alone.  We didn't let anyone watch the kids for a long, long time, including (especially??) the grandparents.

To this day, my kids are 7 and 5 and my wife has never spent a night apart from them (except for one weekend when she went away with the 7-year old and left me with the 5-year old.)

On thanksgiving weekend last year we went to a movie. The movie theater is like 4 minutes from where we live, my mother in law and her parents were at our house, so the three of them watched him while he went directly to the movie and came back. We were gone for about 2 1/2 hours, I think my wife checked her phone probably 15 times during the movie.

She didn't let him stay home with an actual babysitter that wasn't a grandparent until he was about 10-11 months old, and even then the longest stretch has been maybe 4 hours.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 18, 2016, 03:58:45 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on August 18, 2016, 03:54:56 PM
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a buddy cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.

Yep.

You're not alone.  We didn't let anyone watch the kids for a long, long time, including (especially??) the grandparents.

On thanksgiving weekend last year we went to a movie. The movie theater is like 4 minutes from where we live, my mother in law and her parents were at our house, so the three of them watched him while he went directly to the movie and came back. We were gone for about 2 1/2 hours, I think my wife checked her phone probably 15 times during the movie.

She didn't let him stay home with an actual babysitter that wasn't a grandparent until he was about 10-11 months old, and even then the longest stretch has been maybe 4 hours.

The other factor is that family will babysit for free but if you want a good, responsible non-familial babysitter, you'll need to be prepared to cough up some dough--especially if you want them to do it again.  That's something that people don't tell you before you have a kid.  It basically comes to a third meal and drinks. I have been counting down the days until my oldest is old enough to stay at home with the younger one.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs