News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Nice Guys  ( 5,972 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Nice Guys
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on August 18, 2016, 04:43:24 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 18, 2016, 03:58:45 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on August 18, 2016, 03:54:56 PM
Quote from: Bort on August 18, 2016, 02:23:39 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 18, 2016, 02:14:28 PM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on August 18, 2016, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: SKO on August 18, 2016, 02:07:10 PM
Quote from: Bort on August 18, 2016, 01:57:33 PM
Quote from: Tony on August 18, 2016, 09:37:03 AM
Quote from: Bort on August 17, 2016, 12:52:30 PM
Quote from: Tonker on August 17, 2016, 12:49:04 PM
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a buddy cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.

I have heard nothing but good about this. I look forward to finally seeing it in 2024.

Mrs. Butthead really wanted to see this. It's on our list right after the second Avengers movie, the latest Captain America movie, and basically every non-Star Wars movie that has come out in the last couple years. My point is we never go to movies since the kid showed up.
Yep.

The upside of my highly memeable life living on a college campus is that there is never a shortage of babysitters willing to watch Augie for a couple of hours so we can go to the movies whenever there is something we really want to see. Most of them offer to do it for free so they can hang out with a baby and also enjoy free cable/Netflix on our Adult Sized TV. Usually we just pay them with food.

Yeah I'd be a little wary of such folk.

Well they are college aged girls. I'm not inviting Yeti over.

Unfortunately the perfect storm of 1. autistic child and 2. INCREDIBLY NERVOUS MOTHER means that we can only have certain people that she has vetted like crazy (such as, say, grandparents) watch him.

You're not alone.  We didn't let anyone watch the kids for a long, long time, including (especially??) the grandparents.

To this day, my kids are 7 and 5 and my wife has never spent a night apart from them (except for one weekend when she went away with the 7-year old and left me with the 5-year old.)

On thanksgiving weekend last year we went to a movie. The movie theater is like 4 minutes from where we live, my mother in law and her parents were at our house, so the three of them watched him while he went directly to the movie and came back. We were gone for about 2 1/2 hours, I think my wife checked her phone probably 15 times during the movie.

She didn't let him stay home with an actual babysitter that wasn't a grandparent until he was about 10-11 months old, and even then the longest stretch has been maybe 4 hours.

The other factor is that family will babysit for free but if you want a good, responsible non-familial babysitter, you'll need to be prepared to cough up some dough--especially if you want them to do it again.  That's something that people don't tell you before you have a kid.  It basically comes to a third meal and drinks. I have been counting down the days until my oldest is old enough to stay at home with the younger one.

We pay our regular babysitter $15/hour. She's amazing though. 25 years old, getting her MBA. 

We have 2 high school kids on our street that we pay $10/hour each. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a buddy cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.

I have heard nothing but good about this. I look forward to finally seeing it in 2024.

Mrs. Butthead really wanted to see this. It's on our list right after the second Avengers movie, the latest Captain America movie, and basically every non-Star Wars movie that has come out in the last couple years. My point is we never go to movies since the kid showed up.
Yep.

The upside of my highly memeable life living on a college campus is that there is never a shortage of babysitters willing to watch Augie for a couple of hours so we can go to the movies whenever there is something we really want to see. Most of them offer to do it for free so they can hang out with a baby and also enjoy free cable/Netflix on our Adult Sized TV. Usually we just pay them with food.

Unfortunately the perfect storm of 1. autistic child and 2. INCREDIBLY NERVOUS MOTHER means that we can only have certain people that she has vetted like crazy (such as, say, grandparents) watch him.

You're not alone.  We didn't let anyone watch the kids for a long, long time, including (especially??) the grandparents.

To this day, my kids are 7 and 5 and my wife has never spent a night apart from them (except for one weekend when she went away with the 7-year old and left me with the 5-year old.)

What?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 18, 2016, 04:55:15 PM
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a buddy cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.

Yep.

You're not alone.  We didn't let anyone watch the kids for a long, long time, including (especially??) the grandparents.

What?

Yep.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 05:18:54 PM »
Yeah we're more in the $10/hour range since we have a reliable high school girl.  My brother mocked me for being so generous.  Nothing like being ridiculed by an out-of-touch fiscal conservative whose kids haven't needed a babysitter since early in the Dubya Administration.  You get what you pay for and I feel validated reading Pen's response as I'm pretty confident we've in line with market value.  I mean, if you want to chintz some kid for like 6 bucks an hour, good luck, but if you have a good, responsible babysitter, it's worth it to pay 50-70 bucks not only for peace of mind but also to ensure that they have an incentive to do it again.

Still, though, that's a good chunk of change to add to one's tab for a night out, which is why we don't go out all the time and also why I cannot wait until I won't have to do it anymore.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 06:45:25 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on August 18, 2016, 05:18:54 PM
Yeah we're more in the $10/hour range since we have a reliable high school girl.  My brother mocked me for being so generous.  Nothing like being ridiculed by an out-of-touch fiscal conservative whose kids haven't needed a babysitter since early in the Dubya Administration.  You get what you pay for and I feel validated reading Pen's response as I'm pretty confident we've in line with market value.  I mean, if you want to chintz some kid for like 6 bucks an hour, good luck, but if you have a good, responsible babysitter, it's worth it to pay 50-70 bucks not only for peace of mind but also to ensure that they have an incentive to do it again.

Still, though, that's a good chunk of change to add to one's tab for a night out, which is why we don't go out all the time and also why I cannot wait until I won't have to do it anymore.

Jesus, my sister in law and brother in law must be loaded more than I know or insane. I've noticed they've paid like $20/hr to his 22 year old cousin

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 07:01:38 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 18, 2016, 06:45:25 PM

Jesus, my sister in law and brother in law must be loaded more than I know or insane. I've noticed they've paid like $20/hr to his 22 year old cousin

Your sister-in-law is married to your brother-in-law?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 07:11:57 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on August 18, 2016, 07:01:38 PM

Come on. Is this really so shocking?

Yeah, we pay the one 20-something that occasionally watches Jackson 15 an hour, because she has experience with special needs kids and is responsible, and we don't consider that a bad rate at all.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »

My wife's sister and her husband. If there's another term, I'm all ears

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 18, 2016, 07:22:24 PM

my sister in law and brother in law = 35 keystrokes, vague
My wife's sister and her husband = 32 keystrokes, clear

I think we've discovered another term.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 18, 2016, 07:27:41 PM
Quote from: Yeti on August 18, 2016, 07:22:24 PM

my sister in law and brother in law = 35 keystrokes, vague
My wife's sister and her husband = 32 keystrokes, clear

I think we've discovered another term.

I'm asshurt

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
 What I am getting out of this thread is that the movie, "The Nice Guys",  has something to do with babysitting. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 10:33:40 AM »
I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Crowe and Gosling in a buddy cop P.I. farce/buddy/whodunnit movie set in seventies' LA.  The script fairly hums along, there's some fantastic slapstick and loads and loads of little comic payoffs if you're paying attention.  Fucking magic.

Yep.

You're not alone.  We didn't let anyone watch the kids for a long, long time, including (especially??) the grandparents.

On thanksgiving weekend last year we went to a movie. The movie theater is like 4 minutes from where we live, my mother in law and her parents were at our house, so the three of them watched him while he went directly to the movie and came back. We were gone for about 2 1/2 hours, I think my wife checked her phone probably 15 times during the movie.

She didn't let him stay home with an actual babysitter that wasn't a grandparent until he was about 10-11 months old, and even then the longest stretch has been maybe 4 hours.

The other factor is that family will babysit for free but if you want a good, responsible non-familial babysitter, you'll need to be prepared to cough up some dough--especially if you want them to do it again.  That's something that people don't tell you before you have a kid.  It basically comes to a third meal and drinks. I have been counting down the days until my oldest is old enough to stay at home with the younger one.

THAT.  Although I'm not sure when the time will come that my 3 can stay together.  Right now the oldest and middle (12 & 9) can trusted, but our youngest is 5 and the issue isn't so much her age as her complete refusal to accept that her older sister has any kind of authority over her. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
Quote from: CT III on August 19, 2016, 10:33:40 AM

Yep.

THAT.  Although I'm not sure when the time will come that my 3 can stay together.  Right now the oldest and middle (12 & 9) can trusted, but our youngest is 5 and the issue isn't so much her age as her complete refusal to accept that her older sister has any kind of authority over her. 

Mom left us alone for the summer starting when my brother was 13 (I was 9) but that had more to do with me than him. She knew he wouldn't pay any attention to me but by that point she trusted me to stay at home and not get in trouble.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »
So where does this movie fit within the Lethal Weapon canon?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 03, 2016, 10:58:19 AM
So where does this movie fit within the Lethal Weapon canon?
It doesn't.  This movie is about babysitting.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)