News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: A Good Place  ( 2,424 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
A Good Place
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:22:08 AM »
This is a little gem that deserves a following.  The title refers to where you go when you die if you were a good person.  But in this case the female protagonist was not a good person and got there by mistake.  The setting is reminiscent of a great series from around 40 years ago titled "The  Prisoner", with Patrick McGoohan.  In the current show the residents wear an outlandish blue and gold zig zag outfit, but the female protagonist (she is no heroine) wears a tee shirt and jeans.  Everyone is a model of civil behavior, which she finds to be "bullshirt".  She thinks that certain people are "ashholes"  You can't swear there.  Her guide is played by a very goofy Ted Danson.    Although at first she feels out of place, then she learns that the "other place" truly is Hell, she decides that she wants to stay.  The place a paradise, but her arrival bodes bad things coming.  Paradise develops cracks in it.  Earthquakes, and bad weather show up.  Giant insects roam.  Clearly she has to go to permit Paradise to return, but she is going to fight to stay. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: A Good Place
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
I'll second Stew's recommendation here. The concept is going to drive some people crazy with speculation (and ultimately let them down, probably) over exactly where "The Good Place" is (heaven? hell? purgatory? Cincinnati?) and its purpose, but the actual comedy is so funny that I don't really care.  Kristin Bell and William Jackson Harper have excellent chemistry as (possibly) mismatched soul mates and Ted Danson is a national treasure as the imperfect angel/architect/whatever of this particular Good Place.

If nothing else, this show has given me the image of Danson punting a poofy white dog into the sun, and for that I'll give it a full season.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »
I'm enjoying this as well.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
It's back. And Sepinwall's take is that Ted Danson is outstanding in it.

Because of course he is.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Good Place
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:17 AM »
Whenever I watch it, I keep thinking of Kristen Bell as Christina Applegate, because this seems like the type of role she'd take.

But yeah, Danson's good in it, especially since he got the nice heel turn at the end of last season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 12:18:07 PM »
Season 1 was funny and good. It got less good.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.