News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hell or High Water  ( 1,981 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hell or High Water
« on: October 09, 2016, 04:48:40 PM »
Go see this.  It's a western, set in what appears to be modern day west Texas, and it's centered on the oddly charming relationship between two brothers.  One (Tanner, played by Ben Foster) is an impulsive felon with a loud mouth, and the other (Toby, played by Chris Pine) is a silent type who is divorced, defeated, desperate, and an absent father of two boys.  The film begins right after Toby has reached out to Tanner after some time apart because he wants his brother's help with some of his pressing problems.  Meanwhile, Jeff Bridges is great as a Texas Ranger (Marcus) who's just reached mandatory retirement age (he literally opens a letter with "MANDATORY RETIREMENT NOTICE" in text large enough for the audience to read) and decides to hit the road one last time with his partner (Alberto, played by Gil Birmingham) who just barely puts up with Marcus's stereotypical jokes and insistence on following his old cop hunches.

It also has Dale "Ain't No Skank" Dickey (Breaking Bad) and Katy Mixon as the Sassy Texas Woman.

While the banks' culpability for the financial crisis gets beat into the ground a little too much (through dialogue and constant shots of debt relief billboards), I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hell or High Water
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:34:20 PM »
I saw some ad for a TV show with Katy Mixon that looks fucking excruciating.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 10, 2016, 06:34:20 PM
I saw some ad for a TV show with Katy Mixon that looks fucking excruciating.

You must realize that show is not for you, though.

In any event she's in this movie for maybe five minutes so if you have something against April Buchanon it will quickly pass.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:19 AM »
I just posted a new thread for this by mistake (see text below), but DR:LP - what Saul said.

This is a very, very simple story with very little in the way of twists and turns, and for a movie about bank robbers, not even that much in the way of action.  It's all about the performances - from Ben Foster, Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges and a really nice little cameo from Katy Mixon - and the gorgeous photography.  Very nice soundtrack too - original music by Nick Cave and songs from Gillian Welch and Colter Wall.

Not life-changing, but a very nice, very understated, very grown-up film.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 17, 2017, 07:41:19 AM
I just posted a new thread for this by mistake (see text below), but DR:LP - what Saul said.

This is a very, very simple story with very little in the way of twists and turns, and for a movie about bank robbers, not even that much in the way of action.  It's all about the performances - from Ben Foster, Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges and a really nice little cameo from Katy Mixon - and the gorgeous photography.  Very nice soundtrack too - original music by Nick Cave and songs from Gillian Welch and Colter Wall.

Not life-changing, but a very nice, very understated, very grown-up film.

Well said. I need to watch this again.