News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 Chicago Cubs: World Series Champions  ( 12,577 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 Chicago Cubs: World Series Champions
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 08, 2016, 12:52:04 PM
Quote from: morpheus on November 08, 2016, 12:24:58 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 07, 2016, 03:17:19 PM
Is there anywhere that tracks postseason WAR? Just curious what the leaderboard looked like for this year.

http://darowski.com/hall-of-wwar/about/

QuoteSince there is no postseason WAR, how can we capture postseason value? We can use Win Probability Added (WPA), which measures a player's contribution to his team's victory. Add up his WPA and you have an estimate of the number of wins he was directly responsible for.

A few Cubs WPA's for the 2016 postseason (from Fangraphs)

Schwarber 1.46
Russell 0.83
Rizzo 0.53
Bryant 0.35
Contreras 0.26
Zobrist 0.20
Baez 0.18
Ross -0.10
Heyward -0.26
Fowler -0.36

Lester 0.99
Hendricks 0.55
Montgomery 0.27
Arrieta 0.26
Chapman 0.17
Edwards 0.00
Lackey -0.23

...so like, I'm still a little justified in hating John Lackey right

Lackey not-terrible start in Game 4 got Lester, Jake and Hendricks all starts on full rest while the Cubs pounded tired Indians pitchers in 6 and 7.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 08, 2016, 02:26:25 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 08, 2016, 12:52:04 PM
Quote from: morpheus on November 08, 2016, 12:24:58 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 07, 2016, 03:17:19 PM
Is there anywhere that tracks postseason WAR? Just curious what the leaderboard looked like for this year.

http://darowski.com/hall-of-wwar/about/

QuoteSince there is no postseason WAR, how can we capture postseason value? We can use Win Probability Added (WPA), which measures a player's contribution to his team's victory. Add up his WPA and you have an estimate of the number of wins he was directly responsible for.

A few Cubs WPA's for the 2016 postseason (from Fangraphs)

Schwarber 1.46
Russell 0.83
Rizzo 0.53
Bryant 0.35
Contreras 0.26
Zobrist 0.20
Baez 0.18
Ross -0.10
Heyward -0.26
Fowler -0.36

Lester 0.99
Hendricks 0.55
Montgomery 0.27
Arrieta 0.26
Chapman 0.17
Edwards 0.00
Lackey -0.23

...so like, I'm still a little justified in hating John Lackey right

Lackey not-terrible start in Game 4 got Lester, Jake and Hendricks all starts on full rest while the Cubs pounded tired Indians pitchers in 6 and 7.

While the Cubs were celebrating in the locker room after game 7 and various reporters were milling in trying to get token interviews, one of them tried to talk to Lackey and like a total asshole he snarled "I'M TRYING TO CELEBRATE WITH MY TEAMMATES". 

And that moment sent yet another wave of white, hot hatred for the guy through me.  If I can't like him while he's celebrating a World Series title he just helped my team win, I'm never going to like him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
Remember when the Cubs won the World Series? That was nice.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 29, 2016, 01:13:20 PM

I can't help but think that the absolute shitpile that has been 2016 was our karmic payment for the Cubs finally winning.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »

I was telling a buddy yesterday that we're finally at the point when enough time has passed that 1) I'm over the initial shock of the World Series win and can now enjoy looking back at the season and 2) There are a bunch of season reviews that are finally coming out that will be fun to watch and listen to and reminisce.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 30, 2016, 09:55:43 AM

I was telling a buddy yesterday that we're finally at the point when enough time has passed that 1) I'm over the initial shock of the World Series win and can now enjoy looking back at the season and 2) There are a bunch of season reviews that are finally coming out that will be fun to watch and listen to and reminisce.

Yeah, it's hard to properly rank my favorite moments from this season because naturally all of the postseason wins get extra credit, but there are things I definitely don't want to forget from the regular season like the Lester walk off bunt, Kris Bryant hitting 3 homers and 2 doubles against the Reds, etc. My kinda team, Charlie.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 30, 2016, 10:01:26 AM

Yeah, it's hard to properly rank my favorite moments from this season because naturally all of the postseason wins get extra credit, but there are things I definitely don't want to forget from the regular season like the Lester walk off bunt, Kris Bryant hitting 3 homers and 2 doubles against the Reds, etc. My kinda team, Charlie.

Contreras homering on the first big league pitch he ever saw.
TIME TO POST!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 01, 2016, 04:13:30 PM

Almora getting his first big-league assist seconds after his first big-league putout.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on December 01, 2016, 04:41:49 PM

Almora getting his first big-league assist seconds after his first big-league putout.

Brian Matusz giving up three two-run bombs in three consecutive innings. Wait, what were we doing?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:34 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 01, 2016, 07:44:02 PM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on December 01, 2016, 04:41:49 PM

Brian Matusz giving up three two-run bombs in three consecutive innings. Wait, what were we doing?

Matusz set the stage for the Travis Wood LF catch and Lester walk off squeeze bunt. It all started with him.

The 2016 Cubs were clearly the Matusz Cubs.
TIME TO POST!

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2016, 10:34:12 AM »
The comeback win against Milwaukee (the day after they 'backed into' the division title), and the first of what was to become many celebrations on the field afterwards will always have a warm spot in my heart.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on December 02, 2016, 10:34:12 AM
The comeback win against Milwaukee (the day after they 'backed into' the division title), and the first of what was to become many celebrations on the field afterwards will always have a warm spot in my heart.

The second Arrieta no hitter in April, followed by the fact that they apparently all went and had a giant pizza party in Grandpa's room and then kicked the shit out of the Reds again the next day (inspiring Thom's ENOUGH ALREADY rant) despite their hangovers.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »
The gut-wrenching, back-and-forth, hard-fought and hard-earned single victory over Pittsburgh right before the All-Star Break on a hot-as-ass day in Pittsburgh at a point where the Cubs had struggled for their only real stretch of the season--though it was a considerably-long 3 week stretch-- and Pittsburgh was in the midst of their one legit surge of the season.  A game that seems less and less significant as time goes on but felt pretty damn huge at the time.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on December 02, 2016, 11:15:25 AM
The gut-wrenching, back-and-forth, hard-fought and hard-earned single victory over Pittsburgh right before the All-Star Break on a hot-as-ass day in Pittsburgh at a point where the Cubs had struggled for their only real stretch of the season--though it was a considerably-long 3 week stretch-- and Pittsburgh was in the midst of their one legit surge of the season.  A game that seems less and less significant as time goes on but felt pretty damn huge at the time.

That's the one that feels most memorable to me.  The rest of the season is fun individual moments, but very few memorable games. Kind of like a Blackhawks regular season.  The Cubs' lead was so big and so early, and coming off a 97 win season, it was all "Let's get to October" for me.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »
The Cubs winning their first two games in St. Louis behind the arms of Lackey (Game 1) and Heyward (Game 2), heh heh.