News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Goats and Curses  ( 2,047 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Goats and Curses
« on: November 03, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »
And good riddance.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Goats and Curses
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on November 03, 2016, 12:12:03 PM
And good riddance.

You didn't have to kill all the goats to make your point.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on November 03, 2016, 06:35:54 PM
And good riddance.

It was them or us.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
And good riddance.

But it'll sure come in handy since it's the gyro the Cubs.

Eh? Ehh!?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 03, 2016, 06:54:56 PM
And good riddance.

It was them or us.

"Don't kid yourself, Jimmy, if a goat ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »
Not that I've ever subscribed to such hokum, but even if I did, then I would have believed the "curse" died when they beat the Dodgers, seeing as how it was placed when Bill Sianis was denied entrance to the '45 World Series and he allegedly placed a hex that the Cubs would never appear in a World Series again.  So, following this logic, it would've been broken when they won the pennant.

Nobody had ever provided a superstitious explanation as to how the Cubs had lost 6 consecutive World Series prior to the antics of that that attention-seeking huckster Greek restauranteur and his smelly goat.  People were getting their irrational causes all screwed up.

So while the lazy subscription to a curse always annoyed me, I was even more annoyed when people kept bringing it up during the World Series.

It's all academic now, of course; just wanted to throw in my $0.02
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on November 03, 2016, 07:18:34 PM
Not that I've ever subscribed to such hokum, but even if I did, then I would have believed the "curse" died when they beat the Dodgers, seeing as how it was placed when Bill Sianis was denied entrance to the '45 World Series and he allegedly placed a hex that the Cubs would never appear in a World Series again.  So, following this logic, it would've been broken when they won the pennant.

Nobody had ever provided a superstitious explanation as to how the Cubs had lost 6 consecutive World Series prior to the antics of that that attention-seeking huckster Greek restauranteur and his smelly goat.  People were getting their irrational causes all screwed up.

So while the lazy subscription to a curse always annoyed me, I was even more annoyed when people kept bringing it up during the World Series.

It's all academic now, of course; just wanted to throw in my $0.02

Straight from Huey's family crest.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 03:44:46 AM »
I'll give them a year to get it out of their systems, but I, for one, am hugely looking forward to being able to watch a nationally broadcast Cubs' game without having to hear the words "1908" or "curse".
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 05, 2016, 03:44:46 AM
I'll give them a year to get it out of their systems, but I, for one, am hugely looking forward to being able to watch a nationally broadcast Cubs' game without having to hear the words "1908" or "curse".

Or clips of Steve Bartman.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16