News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!  ( 37,833 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!
« on: November 04, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
It's started.  Fowler declared today he's exploring free agency.

Get him back or turn it over to Almora?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Let's Win Two!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 04, 2016, 02:29:29 PM

With Schwarber needing an OF spot and the ascension of Baez pushing Zesus to OF, they basically have to let him walk.

Dex is due to earn a buttload of money. I hope he gets even more than that.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 04, 2016, 02:58:19 PM

With Schwarber needing an OF spot and the ascension of Baez pushing Zesus to OF, they basically have to let him walk.

I am on team Dexter Go Get Your Dumptruck Full Of Money, You're a Cub Forever Anyway. I just can't bear the thought that he makes a lot of sense for the Cardinals to sign. So as long as literally anyone else offers him that dumptruck, we're good here.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 04, 2016, 03:00:59 PM

I am on team Dexter Go Get Your Dumptruck Full Of Money, You're a Cub Forever Anyway. I just can't bear the thought that he makes a lot of sense for the Cardinals to sign. So as long as literally anyone else offers him that dumptruck, we're good here.

Radio commentary today is that Theo et al still want Schwarber catching, at least part time. Platoon catcher / LF.  I'd still love to see him at catcher because that level of offense at that position is free money.

And who do they set for closer and 5th starter?  5th starter next year is 4th starter for October as I can't see Lackey starting any playoff games next year.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 04, 2016, 03:32:43 PM

Radio commentary today is that Theo et al still want Schwarber catching, at least part time. Platoon catcher / LF.  I'd still love to see him at catcher because that level of offense at that position is free money.

And who do they set for closer and 5th starter?  5th starter next year is 4th starter for October as I can't see Lackey starting any playoff games next year.

I think there's a good chance Mike Montgomery could be a starter for them and be pretty damn good at it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:35:23 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 04, 2016, 03:32:43 PM

Jansen & Montgomery.

Playoff rotation: Lester-Hendricks-Jake-Monty
Playoff bullpen: Jansen-Rondon-Strop-Edwards

I'm typing this now so I can refer back to it in 11 months and laugh at how wrong I am.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »
DPD. I'm really not ready to think about 2017 yet. I might need until February or so to process all this.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 04, 2016, 03:37:14 PM
DPD. I'm really not ready to think about 2017 yet. I might need until February or so to process all this.

Yeah, I kinda agree, but I saw the Fowler news as the buses were exiting LSD onto Michigan. 2017 started before we were done celebrating 2016.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »
I thought TJ already started this thread weeks ago.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »
I think that if they can get something reasonable for him, Soler is gone. Heyward moves to CF; Zobrist in right with occasional movement based on where Schwarber starts.

Montgomery should be their Plan B #5 starter. I think the Cubs are going to look to move for a somewhat established mid-to-late 20's pitcher with at lest a few years left before free agency, perhaps a #3 or #4 guy on a middling team eager to grab some Cubs prospects. That would also soften the blow of losing Arrieta after 2017. I would not be sad to see Hammel packaged for some solid middle relief.

Maybe the added offense will make it a moot point, but the outfield defense is probably going to be nowhere as good next year as it was this year.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
Fuck it, Soler, Almora, Candelario and Happ for Mike Trout.*

*yes, I know it's not enough. But if last week taught us anything, it's that no dream is too big.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »
Anybody interested at all in Verlander?

3 years left at 28 million per, Tigers supposedly considering selling. At that cost the prospects sent in return may be less important than the willingness to take on salary. The FA market is weak.

He was ass in 2014 but since coming back from injury in 2015 he's been very solid. Was outstanding this year (5.2 fWAR, 3.08 ERA, 3.48 FIP). His option for 2020 only vests if he's top 5 in Cy voting in 2019. So you either get hopefully 2 good years out of him in 2017-2018 and say goodbye after anything less than an elite 2019, or he's elite for three years and you see what happens in year four.

I have no idea if I'd do it or not. That's still a shit ton of cash for an arm with a lot of miles on it. But it's worth asking

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 07, 2016, 11:57:06 AM

3 years left at 28 million per, Tigers supposedly considering selling. At that cost the prospects sent in return may be less important than the willingness to take on salary. The FA market is weak.

He was ass in 2014 but since coming back from injury in 2015 he's been very solid. Was outstanding this year (5.2 fWAR, 3.08 ERA, 3.48 FIP). His option for 2020 only vests if he's top 5 in Cy voting in 2019. So you either get hopefully 2 good years out of him in 2017-2018 and say goodbye after anything less than an elite 2019, or he's elite for three years and you see what happens in year four.

I have no idea if I'd do it or not. That's still a shit ton of cash for an arm with a lot of miles on it. But it's worth asking

Money's not the issue, especially with Edwin Jackson's 15 mildo/per being gone.

There are far worse ways to fill your 4 hole in the rotation, with Lackey as 5 and Monty ready to go into the mix when there's an injury.

Plus, Kate Upton at Cub games.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 07, 2016, 12:09:29 PM

There are far worse ways to fill your 4 hole in the rotation, with Lackey as 5 and Monty ready to go into the mix when there's an injury.

Jose Quintana.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 07, 2016, 12:09:29 PM

Intrepid Reader: Marlins Man

Big mistake, man.

QuoteLeavy told a story about how Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander's girlfriend, model Kate Upton, denied a girl in a wheelchair a picture during a Yankees game.

"Since she was a guest of the Yankees, the ushers carried her down two steps so she can have Kate Upton sign her ball for her birthday. Upton, who denied fans' requests all game, said 'I don't sign.'" Leavy said he had some choice words for Upton but later got NBA star Kevin Love, who was in attendance, to take photos with the girl.

"I wish I could have taken a beer and poured it on her head," Leavy said. "After Verlander got shelled one inning, Upton got up and left. Everyone — in our section and six sections around — gave a standing ovation because that b— left."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?