News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: What the Fuck, America?  ( 4,601 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: What the Fuck, America?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
Quote from: air2300 on November 09, 2016, 08:01:11 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 09, 2016, 07:27:11 AM
I couldn't sleep last night. Felt like I was going to throw up. Still kind of do, and I realize the terror I feel is nothing compared to what people of color and LGBTQ people and Muslims are feeling right now. I'm a straight white dude who works for a bank. I'll probably be fine.

I am having a hard time not hating the world and everyone in it right now. Even my son waking me up with his usual smile only depressed me because I'm having a hard time contemplating him growing up in an America that may not be safe or respect even basic civil liberties. I'm hopefully overreacting. I don't know. I'm probably going to take a long break from the internet and just focus on my family and friends and loved ones for awhile.
Yea, I agree.  That will be good for you.  I think one should always enjoy their family, friends and loved ones.  But seriously, nothing changes.  We all knew this.  People wanted to pretend that because a black man was elected president, everything was magically fixed far as race was concerned.  It's not.  There are tons of people who still don't believe in equality.  There are tons of people who are afraid of immigrants coming in and taking their jobs.  Instead of working harder and better, you go out and elect a person who will throw them all out!

It is easy to look now and say how fucked up we are but look at Europe.  For al the progressive bull shit they throw at us, there are people who throw bananas as black football players and do monkey calls.  Indians constantly get called "Pakis" in England. 

It is what it is.  This world is fucked up.  I can't tell people what to do, because who am I?  But nothing changes for me.  Work hard and try to provide for the family.  Rest is all noise.

I tried to go to bed at around 11 EST last night, and tossed and turned until about 12:45. I just couldn't fall asleep, I was so anxious. I was only able to drop off after I hit the exercise bike for 30 minutes. This morning, my wife and I were both near tears thinking about our son. He's only two, but he knew something was up because he was insisting I sit with him at his little play table, and he kept giving me hugs and kisses. I don't know what kind of world we're building for him, but I'm worried that he's going to have a lot of unnecessary hardships. I guess I should be glad he has the right skin colour, and hopeful that he has the right sexual orientation, but no matter what he's going to have to deal with the environmental issues that will rise in his lifetime.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 10:32:59 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on November 09, 2016, 08:49:36 AM
I couldn't sleep last night. Felt like I was going to throw up. Still kind of do, and I realize the terror I feel is nothing compared to what people of color and LGBTQ people and Muslims are feeling right now. I'm a straight white dude who works for a bank. I'll probably be fine.

I am having a hard time not hating the world and everyone in it right now. Even my son waking me up with his usual smile only depressed me because I'm having a hard time contemplating him growing up in an America that may not be safe or respect even basic civil liberties. I'm hopefully overreacting. I don't know. I'm probably going to take a long break from the internet and just focus on my family and friends and loved ones for awhile.
Yea, I agree.  That will be good for you.  I think one should always enjoy their family, friends and loved ones.  But seriously, nothing changes.  We all knew this.  People wanted to pretend that because a black man was elected president, everything was magically fixed far as race was concerned.  It's not.  There are tons of people who still don't believe in equality.  There are tons of people who are afraid of immigrants coming in and taking their jobs.  Instead of working harder and better, you go out and elect a person who will throw them all out!

It is easy to look now and say how fucked up we are but look at Europe.  For al the progressive bull shit they throw at us, there are people who throw bananas as black football players and do monkey calls.  Indians constantly get called "Pakis" in England. 

It is what it is.  This world is fucked up.  I can't tell people what to do, because who am I?  But nothing changes for me.  Work hard and try to provide for the family.  Rest is all noise.

I tried to go to bed at around 11 EST last night, and tossed and turned until about 12:45. I just couldn't fall asleep, I was so anxious. I was only able to drop off after I hit the exercise bike for 30 minutes. This morning, my wife and I were both near tears thinking about our son. He's only two, but he knew something was up because he was insisting I sit with him at his little play table, and he kept giving me hugs and kisses. I don't know what kind of world we're building for him, but I'm worried that he's going to have a lot of unnecessary hardships. I guess I should be glad he has the right skin colour, and hopeful that he has the right sexual orientation, but no matter what he's going to have to deal with the environmental issues that will rise in his lifetime.
I thought that the world had ended when Eisenhower beat Adlai Stevenson.  It didn't.  Eventually I even began to feel that Stevenson, even as cerebral as he was, would probably not have been a very good president.  I am not saying that Trump is the equivalent of Eisenhower, or even the equivalent of last week's leftover fish dinner that is festering somewhere on a lower shelf in our refrigerator.  But the United States' institutions are more than strong enough to withstand four years of that ignorant orange-utan.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 09, 2016, 10:32:59 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on November 09, 2016, 08:49:36 AM

I thought that the world had ended when Eisenhower beat Adlai Stevenson.  It didn't.  Eventually I even began to feel that Stevenson, even as cerebral as he was, would probably not have been a very good president.  I am not saying that Trump is the equivalent of Eisenhower, or even the equivalent of last week's leftover fish dinner that is festering somewhere on a lower shelf in our refrigerator.  But the United States' institutions are more than strong enough to withstand four years of that ignorant orange-utan.

I'd like to agree with you, but I feel that many of the world's hardships are going to get worse. Environmental disaster looms, unless we do something about it, which we now won't. Personal beliefs will be under attack. Voting suppression will become the norm, and will be legally validated by the Supreme Court. Women's rights, as well as gay rights, will be rolled back by the Supreme Court. The legacy of this particular election is going to be felt for decades, and, especially if we don't do something about the environmental troubles facing us, it might be felt for centuries.
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »
But the United States' institutions are more than strong enough to withstand four years of that ignorant orange-utan.

I appreciate the historical perspective, as always. My concern is that he and his ilk are going to have control of all of those institutions -- House, Senate, Supreme Court. There aren't any checks or balances for him.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 11:05:21 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 09, 2016, 10:46:32 AM
But the United States' institutions are more than strong enough to withstand four years of that ignorant orange-utan.

I appreciate the historical perspective, as always. My concern is that he and his ilk are going to have control of all of those institutions -- House, Senate, Supreme Court. There aren't any checks or balances for him.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 09, 2016, 11:05:21 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 09, 2016, 10:46:32 AM

Great, another wrong Chuck.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 07:29:39 PM »
I watched Apollo 13 today. Reminded me that nobody is better at fixing disasters than Americans.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on November 09, 2016, 07:29:39 PM
I watched Apollo 13 today. Reminded me that nobody is better at fixing disasters than Americans.

Tell me this isn't a government project.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 02:06:18 AM »

Or, depending on your point of view, causing them.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 08:38:15 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 10, 2016, 02:06:18 AM

Or, depending on your point of view, causing them.

If a story about pulling your ass out of a sling you made yourself isn't a metaphor for this week, I don't know what is.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
Yesterday I tried to explain the Electoral College to my nine year old grandson. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 09:28:19 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 10, 2016, 09:21:40 AM
Yesterday I tried to explain the Electoral College to my nine year old grandson. 

I teach 9 year olds for a living, many of whom are first or second generation immigrants to Canada. Their comprehension isn't great in general, so I just told them that there are 50 states, and the candidate who wins the most states gets to be president, even if the other person got more total votes.

It's not 100% accurate, but it's close enough for a 9 year old.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 10:35:47 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on November 10, 2016, 09:28:19 AM
Quote from: CBStew on November 10, 2016, 09:21:40 AM

I teach 9 year olds for a living, many of whom are first or second generation immigrants to Canada. Their comprehension isn't great in general, so I just told them that there are 50 states, and the candidate who wins the most states gets to be president, even if the other person got more total votes.

It's not 100% accurate, but it's close enough for a 9 year old.
Can you get a degree from the Electoral college?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:28 AM »
Natalie Gulbis: Actually, Trump is great because I personally haven't heard anything bad LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU! MAGA MAGA MAGA!

I'm not delusional. I know that support for President Trump is far from universal. That never happens in politics. While there have been some negative comments on social media, no one has said anything critical to my face. And while Donald's aggressive stand on immigration has been controversial, the LPGA is a very international tour, and LPGA officials say there have been no visa issues so far.

I am very encouraged by the immense support the golf community has shown me and our 45th president these past few months. I believe deeply in America, in President Trump and in the ability of both to overcome any divide.

Well shit. If the LPGA hasn't had any problems, I guess we can just keep all the Muslims out permanently, no big.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?