News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2016 MLB Offseason Thread  ( 13,060 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2016 MLB Offseason Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2016, 10:50:27 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on December 01, 2016, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: Yeti on December 01, 2016, 10:43:05 AM
Quote from: Oleg on December 01, 2016, 10:12:24 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2016, 07:58:25 AM
So some key points from the new CBA, supposedly:

-15 day DL changed to the 10 day DL

-Home field advantage in the WS now determined the way it should always have been determined, the records of the two teams playing.

-International FA pools limited to 5 million a year, hard cap. No over-spending and paying a tax like before. Because nobody is going to make Jerry Fucking Reinsdorf pay for young talent in order to compete, by God.

-Signing a qualifying offer free agent will now cost you a 3rd round pick, unless it costs you a 2nd and a 5th because you're paying the luxury tax, but not if you sign them under the light of the full moon, and if it's raining that day you get a free breakfast burrito.

-Major luxury tax whammy for any team nearing or over the 250 mildo range, which should really slow down the Dodgers habit of taking on everyone's bad contracts in order to get the players they want.

-Season will start sooner so they can work in some more off days.

How weird that Fork's lobbying for a DH fell on deaf ears.

It's right in line with all Forkdictions

Remember back in April when the Cubs got to ~5 games up that Fork predicted the Cardinals would never be any closer the rest of the year?

Remember when he predicted the Cubs would win the 2016 World Series. What a loon. We've finally reached the point where the Cubs are actually good enough to justify a small % of the Fork Bravado. Heady times.

Tim Federowicz had 6 hits in 31 ABs this year. I guess we should just point out those 6 hits when we assess if he is successful or not, and ignore the 25 times a hit didn't happen.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on December 01, 2016, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2016, 10:50:27 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on December 01, 2016, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: Yeti on December 01, 2016, 10:43:05 AM
Quote from: Oleg on December 01, 2016, 10:12:24 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2016, 07:58:25 AM
So some key points from the new CBA, supposedly:

-15 day DL changed to the 10 day DL

-Home field advantage in the WS now determined the way it should always have been determined, the records of the two teams playing.

-International FA pools limited to 5 million a year, hard cap. No over-spending and paying a tax like before. Because nobody is going to make Jerry Fucking Reinsdorf pay for young talent in order to compete, by God.

-Signing a qualifying offer free agent will now cost you a 3rd round pick, unless it costs you a 2nd and a 5th because you're paying the luxury tax, but not if you sign them under the light of the full moon, and if it's raining that day you get a free breakfast burrito.

-Major luxury tax whammy for any team nearing or over the 250 mildo range, which should really slow down the Dodgers habit of taking on everyone's bad contracts in order to get the players they want.

-Season will start sooner so they can work in some more off days.

How weird that Fork's lobbying for a DH fell on deaf ears.

It's right in line with all Forkdictions

Remember back in April when the Cubs got to ~5 games up that Fork predicted the Cardinals would never be any closer the rest of the year?

Remember when he predicted the Cubs would win the 2016 World Series. What a loon. We've finally reached the point where the Cubs are actually good enough to justify a small % of the Fork Bravado. Heady times.

Tim Federowicz had 6 hits in 31 ABs this year. I guess we should just point out those 6 hits when we assess if he is successful or not, and ignore the 25 times a hit didn't happen.

I said a small %
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 07:39:30 PM »
Fuck Jerry Reinsdorf, the White Sox, and all the billionaire cheapskates who don't want to pay young players and insist on the bullshit provisions discussed above. I hate that much of the CBA is designed to punish teams for giving players money.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 10:25:18 PM »
Might be worth picking up the surprisingly non-tendered Tyson Ross and betting on a bounceback from injury.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 02, 2016, 10:25:18 PM
Might be worth picking up the surprisingly non-tendered Tyson Ross and betting on a bounceback from injury.

And Welington Castillo, if just to mend SKO's broken heart.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 10:43:54 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on December 02, 2016, 10:41:19 PM

And Welington Castillo, if just to mend SKO's broken heart.

If SKO ever takes a break from constantly calling David Ross begging him not to retire, that is.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 08:35:16 AM »

No risk, potential for high reward. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2016, 01:06:39 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 03, 2016, 08:35:16 AM

The Cubs made attempts over the past couple years to acquire right-hander Tyson Ross from the Padres and could pursue him in free agency, according to Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago. "The Padres were close to trading Ross to the Cubs for Starlin Castro," a major league source who worked for one of the teams told Levine. "San Diego execs were mixed on asking for Castro or Javier Baez. The deal went down to the wire in late July of 2015 but never got to the point of exchanging medicals." Ross was a front-of-the-rotation starter at that point, but he only threw 5 1/3 innings last season and is currently recovering from thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. The Padres non-tendered him Friday.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2016, 08:50:55 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 04, 2016, 01:06:39 AM

The Cubs made attempts over the past couple years to acquire right-hander Tyson Ross from the Padres and could pursue him in free agency, according to Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago. "The Padres were close to trading Ross to the Cubs for Starlin Castro," a major league source who worked for one of the teams told Levine. "San Diego execs were mixed on asking for Castro or Javier Baez. The deal went down to the wire in late July of 2015 but never got to the point of exchanging medicals." Ross was a front-of-the-rotation starter at that point, but he only threw 5 1/3 innings last season and is currently recovering from thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. The Padres non-tendered him Friday.

Yep. Whoever signs him will (my guess, FWIW) sign him to a minor league deal to see if he can come back in 2017 with an eye toward him being productive in 2018. If he can come all the way back (granted, unlikely), you've got a cheap top-of-the-rotation guy.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 04, 2016, 08:50:55 AM

The Cubs made attempts over the past couple years to acquire right-hander Tyson Ross from the Padres and could pursue him in free agency, according to Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago. “The Padres were close to trading Ross to the Cubs for Starlin Castro,” a major league source who worked for one of the teams told Levine. “San Diego execs were mixed on asking for Castro or Javier Baez. The deal went down to the wire in late July of 2015 but never got to the point of exchanging medicals.” Ross was a front-of-the-rotation starter at that point, but he only threw 5 1/3 innings last season and is currently recovering from thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. The Padres non-tendered him Friday.

Yep. Whoever signs him will (my guess, FWIW) sign him to a minor league deal to see if he can come back in 2017 with an eye toward him being productive in 2018. If he can come all the way back (granted, unlikely), you've got a cheap top-of-the-rotation guy.

The problem with that is everyone else will want to sign him to a minor league deal too. I think he'll get guaranteed money and an MLB roster spot. He's supposed to be ready to pitch by April or even spring training so it's not like he's expected to miss half of the year.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:56 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 04, 2016, 09:37:52 AM

The Cubs made attempts over the past couple years to acquire right-hander Tyson Ross from the Padres and could pursue him in free agency, according to Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago. “The Padres were close to trading Ross to the Cubs for Starlin Castro,” a major league source who worked for one of the teams told Levine. “San Diego execs were mixed on asking for Castro or Javier Baez. The deal went down to the wire in late July of 2015 but never got to the point of exchanging medicals.” Ross was a front-of-the-rotation starter at that point, but he only threw 5 1/3 innings last season and is currently recovering from thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. The Padres non-tendered him Friday.

The problem with that is everyone else will want to sign him to a minor league deal too. I think he'll get guaranteed money and an MLB roster spot. He's supposed to be ready to pitch by April or even spring training so it's not like he's expected to miss half of the year.

DPD. Compare what lesser pitchers are getting for one year.

$12.5 million (one year) to RHP Bartolo Colon
$10 million (one year) to RHP Andrew Cashner
$7.5 million (one year) to RHP R.A. Dickey

Only the teams can review his medicals, obviously (although he was a Padre, so maybe not), but I could see him getting $7 million or more if an April or May return looks like a strong possibility. Anything less would seem like a steal. He's a free agent again after this season so it's pretty unlikely he'd accept a one-year deal at a lower price and a team option for market value money. The only way he does is if teams balk at the medicals and look at him as a 2018 asset with 2017 lost to rehab.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2016, 03:27:03 PM »

Has anybody ever been an effective athlete following thoracic outlet syndrome surgery? I wouldn't want to blow a roster spot on finding out if he can.

Hopefully Jepstink walk away if the bidding gets too rich.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on December 04, 2016, 03:27:03 PM

Has anybody ever been an effective athlete following thoracic outlet syndrome surgery? I wouldn't want to blow a roster spot on finding out if he can.

Wikipedia provides the following list, apparently in no particular order.

Tyson Ross (SD)
Matt Harvey (NYM)
Luke Hochevar (KC)
Phil Hughes (MIN)
Mike Foltynewicz (ATL)
Chris Carpenter (STL)
Jaime Garcia (ATL)
Josh Beckett
Shaun Marcum
Matt Harrison (PHI)
Clayton Richard (SD)
Noah Lowry
Chris Young

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2016, 07:52:52 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 04, 2016, 07:45:30 PM

Tyson Ross (SD)
Matt Harvey (NYM)
Luke Hochevar (KC)
Phil Hughes (MIN)
Mike Foltynewicz (ATL)
Chris Carpenter (STL)
Jaime Garcia (ATL)
Josh Beckett
Shaun Marcum
Matt Harrison (PHI)
Clayton Richard (SD)
Noah Lowry
Chris Young

Those are all people who have had it, not people have come back from it successfully, obviously, since Ross and Harvey head off the list. Garcia and Beckett are about the only two who had it and came back to pitch at anything resembling their former selves. Garcia's always been a junkballer anyway, Beckett had a mediocre 2014 (2.88 ERA but 4.33 FIP) after the surgery before hanging it up.

It sure seems like a death sentence, but Ross and Harvey are arguably the first two who were young and had elite stuff before they got hurt (the surgery ended Carpenter's career, but he was also like 36 and coming off like 20 other arm injuries) so their recovery is worth monitoring.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2016, 07:57:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 05, 2016, 07:52:52 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on December 04, 2016, 07:45:30 PM

Tyson Ross (SD)
Matt Harvey (NYM)
Luke Hochevar (KC)
Phil Hughes (MIN)
Mike Foltynewicz (ATL)
Chris Carpenter (STL)
Jaime Garcia (ATL)
Josh Beckett
Shaun Marcum
Matt Harrison (PHI)
Clayton Richard (SD)
Noah Lowry
Chris Young

Those are all people who have had it, not people have come back from it successfully, obviously, since Ross and Harvey head off the list. Garcia and Beckett are about the only two who had it and came back to pitch at anything resembling their former selves. Garcia's always been a junkballer anyway, Beckett had a mediocre 2014 (2.88 ERA but 4.33 FIP) after the surgery before hanging it up.

It sure seems like a death sentence, but Ross and Harvey are arguably the first two who were young and had elite stuff before they got hurt (the surgery ended Carpenter's career, but he was also like 36 and coming off like 20 other arm injuries) so their recovery is worth monitoring.

Young won Comeback Player of the Year after having it. So there's a chance.

But a team that's in the business of winning championships probably wouldn't want to give up a roster spot to find out.
TIME TO POST!