News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Westworld  ( 3,880 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Westworld
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
No Westworld thread? It's boring as shit. It could be salvaged if we can come to give a wet fart about any of the characters.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Westworld
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on November 20, 2016, 01:57:15 PM
No Westworld thread? It's boring as shit. It could be salvaged if we can come to give a wet fart about any of the characters.

A coworker insists it's the greatest thing on television, so this is ... quite a gap. I haven't watched it yet.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »

So much THIS. And there are no stakes. No one can die or get hurt. There's no risk. I made it through Ep 5 and quit. Even Mr. Chuck's like of Thandie Newton isn't enough.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
Bottom line...any western that had Yul Brynner in it, don't fuck with it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 07:53:16 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 20, 2016, 05:09:21 PM

So much THIS. And there are no stakes. No one can die or get hurt. There's no risk. I made it through Ep 5 and quit. Even Mr. Chuck's like of Thandie Newton isn't enough.

No, Chuck.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:29:55 AM »

If the point if the Guests not being able to get hurt ruins it for you, then I don't know what to tell you. It's not a show where we are wondering who is safe. It's more about the mystery, and when the shit is happening. Aside from the fact that the show just made someone not invulnerable last week.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 21, 2016, 12:29:55 AM

If the point if the Guests not being able to get hurt ruins it for you, then I don't know what to tell you. It's not a show where we are wondering who is safe. It's more about the mystery, and when the shit is happening. Aside from the fact that the show just made someone not invulnerable last week.

It's not only the guests who can't get hurt. Even the robots come right back. Yes, they feel pain, but they don't die.  There's nothing at risk for anyone in the show. Oh, but let's find the maze!  And what was so-in-so before their memory was wiped.

The show is bad.

Saw the first 45 minutes of the movie yesterday. I really miss Yul Brenner.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:54:27 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 21, 2016, 08:01:55 AM

It's not only the guests who can't get hurt. Even the robots come right back. Yes, they feel pain, but they don't die.  There's nothing at risk for anyone in the show. Oh, but let's find the maze!  And what was so-in-so before their memory was wiped.

The show is bad.

It's definitely a far cry from all those other shows where main characters die all the time

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 21, 2016, 09:54:27 AM

The show is bad.

It's definitely a far cry from all those other shows where main characters die all the time

I haven't seen this show yet, but if Chuck hates it, it can't be all bad.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »

The show is bad.

You mean like Game of Thrones or (supposedly - because I haven't watched it) the Walking Dead? Where every character is never safe? That something of consequence could happen to them at any time? There have been, through 5 eps, no actions that any character has taken or had happen to them, that can change them in any way.  There are no consequences to anything so far. That's... compelling?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 02:13:31 PM »
That said, with the addition this week of Lili Simmons (late of the really fun Banshee), there could be a big upgrade in the "quality boobs" factor.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 02:17:05 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 21, 2016, 02:13:31 PM
That said, with the addition this week of Lili Simmons (late of the really fun Banshee), there could be a big upgrade in the "quality boobs" factor.

That lardass.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 21, 2016, 02:11:38 PM

The show is bad.

You mean like Game of Thrones or (supposedly - because I haven't watched it) the Walking Dead? Where every character is never safe? That something of consequence could happen to them at any time? There have been, through 5 eps, no actions that any character has taken or had happen to them, that can change them in any way.  There are no consequences to anything so far. That's... compelling?

And those are the main 2 (and GoT is not really hammering home the point of "if you make mistakes, you die" like they began with. Ned fucked up and died. Robb fucked up and got himself and others killed. Somehow, Jon Snow is a complete fucking moron in the Battle of the Bastards and survives. Future plot-wise, I get it, but it's inconsistent with the GoT model). Plenty of other good shows exist without threats to the main characters.

I'm not really arguing that it's a great show. I think it's a decent show and I'm invested in the mystery. I just think your argument of "oh, the guests can't die, so it sucks" is dumb. That's not the suspense of the show. Plus, I don't think the guests are going to be safe for long, so maybe you'll get your wish.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 21, 2016, 03:26:03 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 21, 2016, 02:11:38 PM

The show is bad.

And those are the main 2 (and GoT is not really hammering home the point of "if you make mistakes, you die" like they began with. Ned fucked up and died. Robb fucked up and got himself and others killed. Somehow, Jon Snow is a complete fucking moron in the Battle of the Bastards and survives. Future plot-wise, I get it, but it's inconsistent with the GoT model). Plenty of other good shows exist without threats to the main characters.

I'm not really arguing that it's a great show. I think it's a decent show and I'm invested in the mystery. I just think your argument of "oh, the guests can't die, so it sucks" is dumb. That's not the suspense of the show. Plus, I don't think the guests are going to be safe for long, so maybe you'll get your wish.

We're watching people on a holodeck with the safety protocols on. At least Trek knew how to make the holodeck malfunction early in the first act so there were some stakes. Dumb stakes, but still something to be concerned about. And Apex is right. It's a show full of Wesleys.