News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Rogue One  ( 9,534 )

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Rogue One
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 13, 2017, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: Tony on January 13, 2017, 10:40:12 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 12, 2017, 01:03:07 PM
My wife has probably only watched A New Hope all of the way through with me once, and so she did not remember that Luke was Red 5, so she shot me a weird look when I started chuckling as soon as they showed the original Red 5, since you knew immediately that guy was a goner.

I DVR'd all the Star Wars movies when they were on TV a couple months ago, and decided to show it to my kid who is not even 2 yet assuming he'd be bored because it wasn't animated. Well, I was wrong. He's obsessed with it. He requests it every damn day. When the Star Wars logo comes on the screen he points and screams and kicks his legs. He waves goodbye to the words on the opening crawl. And he loves R2-D2. That's how he asks for the movie. He hands me the remote and and say "Artoo...Artoo!". So we've watched A New Hope basically every day for a couple months.

When Mrs. Butthead and I left the theater after seeing Rogue One I said something about Red 5 assuming she would be as excited as I was about it because we've watched the battle of Yavin a million times recently, but I got a blank stare back. I guess I didn't marry a nerd.

Same. My son is only about 20 months old but he's already way into it. I'm sure knowing me people think I forced it on him, but no, from the moment that kid saw Darth Vader he fell in love. He walks around doing the breathing noise, playing with an R2 D2 I got him and saying BEEP BOOP, fighting with a lightsaber. I brought all of my old figures home from my folks house and he loves to play with them. We get home every day and he runs to the case and yells "SHABER" which is his way of saying I need to get the Darth Vader figure out and put his lightsaber in his hand.

When he freaks out in the car you can get him to calm down by playing the Imperial March.

It is all I could ever have hoped for as a dad.

My mom has accused me of brainwashing her grandson because he watches Star Wars so much. I'm actually getting sick of watching it, but it's easier to play it again than it is to argue with him.

We do the same thing in the car... playing the soundtrack will calm him down pretty quickly.

Has he seen all the movies? I am trying to wait to show him Empire until he's old enough to understand the surprise ending so he gets the full impact of it, but that means watching ANH over and over and over for the foreseeable future.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 02:07:38 PM »
Quote from: Tony on January 13, 2017, 02:06:09 PM
My wife has probably only watched A New Hope all of the way through with me once, and so she did not remember that Luke was Red 5, so she shot me a weird look when I started chuckling as soon as they showed the original Red 5, since you knew immediately that guy was a goner.

I DVR'd all the Star Wars movies when they were on TV a couple months ago, and decided to show it to my kid who is not even 2 yet assuming he'd be bored because it wasn't animated. Well, I was wrong. He's obsessed with it. He requests it every damn day. When the Star Wars logo comes on the screen he points and screams and kicks his legs. He waves goodbye to the words on the opening crawl. And he loves R2-D2. That's how he asks for the movie. He hands me the remote and and say "Artoo...Artoo!". So we've watched A New Hope basically every day for a couple months.

When Mrs. Butthead and I left the theater after seeing Rogue One I said something about Red 5 assuming she would be as excited as I was about it because we've watched the battle of Yavin a million times recently, but I got a blank stare back. I guess I didn't marry a nerd.

Same. My son is only about 20 months old but he's already way into it. I'm sure knowing me people think I forced it on him, but no, from the moment that kid saw Darth Vader he fell in love. He walks around doing the breathing noise, playing with an R2 D2 I got him and saying BEEP BOOP, fighting with a lightsaber. I brought all of my old figures home from my folks house and he loves to play with them. We get home every day and he runs to the case and yells "SHABER" which is his way of saying I need to get the Darth Vader figure out and put his lightsaber in his hand.

When he freaks out in the car you can get him to calm down by playing the Imperial March.

My mom has accused me of brainwashing her grandson because he watches Star Wars so much. I'm actually getting sick of watching it, but it's easier to play it again than it is to argue with him.

We do the same thing in the car... playing the soundtrack will calm him down pretty quickly.

Has he seen all the movies? I am trying to wait to show him Empire until he's old enough to understand the surprise ending so he gets the full impact of it, but that means watching ANH over and over and over for the foreseeable future.

He'll only pay attention for about 10-15 minutes at a time, tops, so we mostly just watch the lightsaber fights and really any time Darth Vader is doing something, but he likes watching Clone Wars.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 13, 2017, 02:07:38 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 13, 2017, 02:06:09 PM

He'll only pay attention for about 10-15 minutes at a time, tops, so we mostly just watch the lightsaber fights and really any time Darth Vader is doing something, but he likes watching Clone Wars.

My guy will sit there for a lot of the movie, if not the entire thing sometimes. Every once in a while I ask him if he actually understands what the hell is going on, and he just points at the TV and says "Artoo". I can't imagine he gets it, but he's happy so whatever.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm waiting until my kid is a bit older before we show him Star Wars. (In general, we try to limit his tv to about 45 minutes a week, and that's split up over the weekend.) I've been thinking we might watch the Clone Wars when he's 3 or 4, but I want him to be old enough to really follow along and understand the movies before he finds out the big reveal about Vader -- so, maybe when he's 6 or 7.
M'lady.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 14, 2017, 06:16:06 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm waiting until my kid is a bit older before we show him Star Wars. (In general, we try to limit his tv to about 45 minutes a week, and that's split up over the weekend.) I've been thinking we might watch the Clone Wars when he's 3 or 4, but I want him to be old enough to really follow along and understand the movies before he finds out the big reveal about Vader -- so, maybe when he's 6 or 7.

I saw the big reveal when I was my son's age (four - seeing Empire was my earliest movie theater memory), but I'm neurotypical*, and my son is very much not. I'm really not sure he's fully taking in the plot of anything we watch (he usually runs around the room and only stops to watch occasionally), but I've been avoiding Empire in front of him for that reason. I've watched a New Hope, and a lot of Rebels and Clone Wars, and he loves seeing the action and hearing the music, but I don't think he knows any of the characters at all. I'm hoping once he reaches a point where it's clear he can follow the storyline, I can show him the movies for real.

*Mostly. I have my doubts sometimes about myself in that regard.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 14, 2017, 08:21:29 PM

I saw the big reveal when I was my son's age (four - seeing Empire was my earliest movie theater memory), but I'm neurotypical*, and my son is very much not. I'm really not sure he's fully taking in the plot of anything we watch (he usually runs around the room and only stops to watch occasionally), but I've been avoiding Empire in front of him for that reason. I've watched a New Hope, and a lot of Rebels and Clone Wars, and he loves seeing the action and hearing the music, but I don't think he knows any of the characters at all. I'm hoping once he reaches a point where it's clear he can follow the storyline, I can show him the movies for real.

I just remember being in either kindergarten or the first grade, and watching A New Hope at my best friend's house. I thought it was amazing, and mesmerizing, but I had no fucking clue what was going on. Then again, he's definitely smarter than I was at his age, so maybe by 4 or 5 he'll be able to follow along. But at this point, he's never watched a movie and I don't think he'd be able to handle one.
M'lady.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 08:24:06 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 15, 2017, 06:50:29 PM

I just remember being in either kindergarten or the first grade, and watching A New Hope at my best friend's house. I thought it was amazing, and mesmerizing, but I had no fucking clue what was going on. Then again, he's definitely smarter than I was at his age, so maybe by 4 or 5 he'll be able to follow along. But at this point, he's never watched a movie and I don't think he'd be able to handle one.

I know there is no way he gets what's going on. He just like Artoo and the Jawas and the spaceships. Hell... he says "daddy!" when Obi-Wan first appears, which makes me feel great about the gray hair in my beard. So there is no way he would understand the Vader surprise. My wife thinks I'm crazy for thinking I could possibly ruim it for him this young, but I still refuse to put Empire on if he's in the room.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »
Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2017, 08:24:06 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on January 15, 2017, 06:50:29 PM

I know there is no way he gets what's going on. He just like Artoo and the Jawas and the spaceships. Hell... he says "daddy!" when Obi-Wan first appears, which makes me feel great about the gray hair in my beard. So there is no way he would understand the Vader surprise. My wife thinks I'm crazy for thinking I could possibly ruim it for him this young, but I still refuse to put Empire on if he's in the room.

Take it from the "Been through that" side, you have to show it as soon as you think he's ready because "Luke, I am your father" is something he's going to hear.  We did Machette (sans Phantom)  with Little Girl Murton about 15 months ago.  She loved them, but she knew what was coming.

She now sleeps with a plush Chewie that growls. She's gotten to the point where we had IV-Despecialized on a few weeks ago, Chewie growled, and she said, "Hey! That's the growl my Chewie makes!" Chip off the old block.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 17, 2017, 09:26:21 AM
Take it from the "Been through that" side, you have to show it as soon as you think he's ready because "Luke, I am your father" is something he's going to hear.  We did Machette (sans Phantom)  with Little Girl Murton about 15 months ago.  She loved them, but she knew what was coming.

She now sleeps with a plush Chewie that growls. She's gotten to the point where we had IV-Despecialized on a few weeks ago, Chewie growled, and she said, "Hey! That's the growl my Chewie makes!" Chip off the old block.

We're going to basically do Machete for sure, although I won't cut out Episode I. Rogue One kind of puts a kink in things, though -- I don't think I'd want him to see it before A New Hope. I think, logically, Rogue One doesn't get inserted until the first rewatch.
M'lady.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 08:08:34 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 17, 2017, 07:55:54 PM

We're going to basically do Machete for sure, although I won't cut out Episode I. Rogue One kind of puts a kink in things, though -- I don't think I'd want him to see it before A New Hope. I think, logically, Rogue One doesn't get inserted until the first rewatch.

Added Phantom later. She turned it off. Bored. And she was a little bored by Rogue One until the third act. Do R1 on the back end.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 17, 2017, 08:08:34 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on January 17, 2017, 07:55:54 PM

Added Phantom later. She turned it off. Bored. And she was a little bored by Rogue One until the third act. Do R1 on the back end.

Phantom Menace is boring as hell, and it's one of the reasons I hate the excuse "but little kids liked the prequels!" I loved Star Wars more than anything and saw Phantom Menace when I was 11 and I was bored as fuck until the very end. Attack of the Clones and Sith have a bit more action in them from the jump so I can see where kids might like them more but Phantom Menace is irredeemably bad for all ages and you should just skip it.

Show the kid Clone Wars, toss him the Revenge of the Sith novelization, move on.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015