News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hacksaw Ridge  ( 1,442 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hacksaw Ridge
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
Mel Gibson has given me another reason to dislike him.  This is the goriest thing that I have ever seen on film.  During World War ll Hollywood had our soldiers die bloodless deaths.  Very neat.  No suffering.  No one died without an opportunity to make a last speech telling the hero to whom to send his love.  Gibson wasn't having any of that.  How can a soldier whose head was just blown off his neck tell someone to tell mom that he loved her?  No one gets shot in the leg in this movie without both legs being taken off above the knee.  My wife spent the entire second half of this movie with her hand over her eyes.  As for the Japanese, of whom there appeared to be an inexhaustible supply,  they appeared to favor being immolated, (spoiler alert)  except for the commanding officer, who gratuitously commits hara-kiri, and then, for good measure his head is lopped off with a Samurai sword. 

MORE SPOILERS.  There is a plot to the movie.  Andrew Garfield plays a conscientious objector who could have claimed a deferment, but elected to be a medic who refused to touch a weapon.  He did something that earned him the Congressional Medal of Honor.  It is a true story, which I found hard to believe, and you will too.  At the end Gibson shows film of the person on whose life the movie was based, so you have to believe it is mostly true.  Garfield's performance is outstanding.  You may almost forget his performance as Spider-Man.  The movie will win Oscars.  Possibly for Garfield, but definitely for special effects.  Hopefully not for Gibson's directing.  But Gibson is probably too hated in Hollywood for that to happen, Sugartits!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hacksaw Ridge
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:03:08 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 01, 2017, 08:42:43 PM
Mel Gibson has given me another reason to dislike him.  This is the goriest thing that I have ever seen on film.  During World War ll Hollywood had our soldiers die bloodless deaths.  Very neat.  No suffering.  No one died without an opportunity to make a last speech telling the hero to whom to send his love.  Gibson wasn't having any of that.  How can a soldier whose head was just blown off his neck tell someone to tell mom that he loved her?  No one gets shot in the leg in this movie without both legs being taken off above the knee.  My wife spent the entire second half of this movie with her hand over her eyes.  As for the Japanese, of whom there appeared to be an inexhaustible supply,  they appeared to favor being immolated, (spoiler alert)  except for the commanding officer, who gratuitously commits hara-kiri, and then, for good measure his head is lopped off with a Samurai sword. 

MORE SPOILERS.  There is a plot to the movie.  Andrew Garfield plays a conscientious objector who could have claimed a deferment, but elected to be a medic who refused to touch a weapon.  He did something that earned him the Congressional Medal of Honor.  It is a true story, which I found hard to believe, and you will too.  At the end Gibson shows film of the person on whose life the movie was based, so you have to believe it is mostly true.  Garfield's performance is outstanding.  You may almost forget his performance as Spider-Man.  The movie will win Oscars.  Possibly for Garfield, but definitely for special effects.  Hopefully not for Gibson's directing.  But Gibson is probably too hated in Hollywood for that to happen, Sugartits!

To be fair, the lopping off of the head is actually the proper end of seppaku.

But I probably won't be seeing this any time soon, as that's all the fairness I have left for Gibson.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:45:17 AM »
A war depicted as violent? Well now I've heard everything.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Good movie.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
Damn, at first glance I was hoping this was going to be a discussion of Heartbreak Ridge, easily the greatest movie ever made about the US going into Granada.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 03, 2017, 03:02:54 PM
Damn, at first glance I was hoping this was going to be a discussion of Heartbreak Ridge, easily the greatest movie ever made about the US going into Granada.

Good movie, too.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.