News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hendry's best hire  ( 1,157 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hendry's best hire
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Stan Zielinski a couple of times during his tenure with the Cubs. The first was in 2002, shortly after he joined the team as was scouting in the north suburbs. He always asked media guys if we knew of any players at whatever place he was headed to and if we knew anything about who he was watching, etc. In 2002, he had gone to a movie with his wife one February evening and came home to a phone message informing him he was fired by the team's new owner, Jeffrey Loria (seriously, fuck this guy). A week or so later, Jim Hendry hired him to be the Cubs MW Scouting director. I crossed paths with him a week or so after the infamous Clement/Alfonseca-Tavarez/Willis trade. No surprise, but Zielinski liked the trade, knowing Florida wanted to dump El Pulpo. He thought the world of Clement, and thus he was bragging about it to anyone who would listen.

He then turned to me at some point and grinned: "The Lake County Sheriff's Office took care of one of our critics this weekend." We spent the next couple of innings at this high school game having fun at old Rob Goldman's expense.

Anyway, he was a pretty good scout, with Kyle Schwarber as one of his last great finds. Stan died in his sleep the other night at 64.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hendry's best hire
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
My Grandad died in his sleep.  I hope I go like him.

And not screaming and terrified, like the passengers on his bus.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 06, 2017, 11:49:50 AM

I think this is the original Dad joke from which all other Dad jokes stem. My Dad and Grandpa have each told that joke more times than I count.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2017, 01:08:02 PM

I think this is the original Dad joke from which all other Dad jokes stem. My Dad and Grandpa have each told that joke more times than I count.

I could fill a book as big as Infinite Jest with all of the Dad jokes I was exposed to growing up, and yet I had never heard this one.  Classic.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on January 07, 2017, 09:39:56 AM

I could fill a book as big as Infinite Jest with all of the Dad jokes I was exposed to growing up, and yet I had never heard this one.  Classic.

At this point in my life telling Dad jokes and getting the rolling eyes response makes my day. Every time.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »
Quote from: flannj on January 07, 2017, 01:20:11 PM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on January 07, 2017, 09:39:56 AM

At this point in my life telling Dad jokes and getting the rolling eyes response makes my day. Every time.

One of my dad's favorites is a call-and-response. Usually told after everyone is already laughing from something:

"Who has more fun than people?"
"Monkeys, there's more of 'em."

I've never heard it anywhere else.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?