News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Comedian  ( 1,033 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Comedian
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »
(?)

The question mark above represents my confusion about the title of this movie.  You would expect that a movie named "The Comedian" would be funny.  If titles are supposed to reflect the theme of the movie then this one should be called "Major Depression".  I laughed only once in this movie.  The rest of the time I was near tears.  It is probably just me, but this movie seemed to be about getting old, realizing that it was time to retire and make end of life decisions.  (Have YOU finalized your will yet?)  De Niro plays a stand up comedian who isn't funny, has serious emotional issues, and whose stand up routine sounds more like a cry for help.  After reading this you will go to this movie much better prepared than I was, because you will see some outstanding dramatic acting instead of a laugh out loud feel-good movie. 

SPOILER ALERT!   I think that when the director saw the almost last cut of this movie he/she got the message and added a feel good final scene that contradicted the rest of the movie.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Comedian
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
Didn't DeNiro already play an unfunny comedian in The King of Comedy?

(Or in almost every role he's had for the past 15 years? *rimshot*)
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Comedian
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »
This sounds like Dustin Hoffman in "Lenny", except Hoffman told better jokes.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16