News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Remember That Guy?  ( 1,465 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Remember That Guy?
« on: May 19, 2017, 03:59:25 AM »
Hey remember when Arismendy Alcantara didn't suck and was being mentioned as part of the core? Me either.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Remember That Guy?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on May 19, 2017, 03:59:25 AM
Hey remember when Arismendy Alcantara didn't suck and was being mentioned as part of the core? Me either.

I don't view him as ever having been part of "the core" but, rather, the palate cleansing prospect before the "real" prospects began showing up.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on May 19, 2017, 09:42:37 AM

I don't view him as ever having been part of "the core" but, rather, the palate cleansing prospect before the "real" prospects began showing up.

Castro and Soler are the only guys who were ever mentioned as "core" guys who aren't still around.

But Mendy looked swell until everyone figured out he would even swing at pickoff throws.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
I don't remember even really paying any attention to Mendy before 2014. He was a flash in the pan who topped out I think at like #87 on the top 100 prospects list. I don't remember anyone penciling him in as part of the core.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 19, 2017, 10:23:18 AM
I don't remember even really paying any attention to Mendy before 2014. He was a flash in the pan who topped out I think at like #87 on the top 100 prospects list. I don't remember anyone penciling him in as part of the core.

He sort of surged in 2014 and got called up ahead of Baez and the thought at the time was that he might become a useful everyday player.

That thought didn't survive 6 weeks.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
Fair enough. What I should have said is being mentioned in the same breath as the core or as a likely complement to the core. Like this, for instance:

First, the rise. Not really that long ago, his name was among the prospects that Cubs fans were getting excited about, although not as excited as the top names in the system, but he was garnering a lot of attention just a year and a half ago. In the summer of 2014, he was probably up there with Jorge Soler and Javier Baez.

Or this:

Any team can have a bad century -- Alcantara might be the first of the new wave who can erase those bad memories and create new ones.

And one more:

The touted Core Four of Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, Albert Almora and Jorge Soler likely won't see Wrigley this season, but one of the lesser-known but perhaps just as talented minor leaguers will.

Turns out he was absolutely nothing like any of those guys. That's what I meant.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 19, 2017, 10:23:18 AM

Buddy, *current Cubs scout* Jason Parks would like a word.

QuoteI've always liked Alcantara, but I was too low on him coming into the season, despite a skill set that has three-way impact potential at the highest level (hit/glove/run). Now that the 22-year-old has taken his talents to Triple-A, and exceeded expectations at the plate and on base, the future first-division player has jumped the list and emerged as a top 20 prospect in the game. --Jason Parks

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »
I don't think that it was his talent that drew attention, but rather the alliteration of his name. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »
Innings 1-9: Rich Hill
Inning 10: Mitch Hill

This joke (C) Kurt. All rights reserved.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on August 23, 2017, 08:52:33 PM
Innings 1-9: Rich Hill
Inning 10: Mitch Hill

This joke (C) Kurt. All rights reserved.

Just can't trust that Mitch Hill, with his top hat and curly moustache. Dastardly villain!
M'lady.