News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Will  ( 2,247 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Will
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
I admit it.  I have a great interest in Shakespeare.  Not so much the plays, but the person.   I have around a dozen books about his life and times.  I am amazed at the scholarship  surrounding his life.  About 50 years after he died the biographers started in on him, and thousands of books have been published about him.  It is amazing that there are some "scholars" who doubt his authorship.  (Mark Twain, Winston Churchill, etc.)  Yet when he lived no one accused him of claiming credit for someone else's work.  I guess no one at that time thought there would ever be any reason to doubt his authorship.  In fact, it is well known what he wrote and with whom he collaborated.  The claim is that he had only the equivalent of a grammar school education and it would be impossible for him to have acquired the talent.  I think that the same argument could be made about Abraham Lincoln. 
This series makes Shakespeare into a naïve booby, which is a novel approach to say the least.  It has him writing the script for Act One, scene two, while the actors are on stage performing Act One, scene one.  It also suggests that the actors improvised at will (no pun intended) and that he then incorporated the improvisations.  I guess that is possible, but this is the first that I have heard about it.  What else?  Female actors.  No, not men dressed as women.  Actresses?  "Shakespeare In Love" nothwithstanding, that just didn't happen during Shakespeare's lifetime.  It took about 75 years after he died for women to be allowed on an English stage. 
In spite of all these issues, I will follow the entire series because I am hooked on Shakespeare and the diverse approaches to his story. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Will
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 17, 2017, 08:03:18 PM
I admit it.  I have a great interest in Shakespeare.  Not so much the plays, but the person.   I have around a dozen books about his life and times.  I am amazed at the scholarship  surrounding his life.  About 50 years after he died the biographers started in on him, and thousands of books have been published about him.  It is amazing that there are some "scholars" who doubt his authorship.  (Mark Twain, Winston Churchill, etc.)  Yet when he lived no one accused him of claiming credit for someone else's work.  I guess no one at that time thought there would ever be any reason to doubt his authorship.  In fact, it is well known what he wrote and with whom he collaborated.  The claim is that he had only the equivalent of a grammar school education and it would be impossible for him to have acquired the talent.  I think that the same argument could be made about Abraham Lincoln. 
This series makes Shakespeare into a naïve booby, which is a novel approach to say the least.  It has him writing the script for Act One, scene two, while the actors are on stage performing Act One, scene one.  It also suggests that the actors improvised at will (no pun intended) and that he then incorporated the improvisations.  I guess that is possible, but this is the first that I have heard about it.  What else?  Female actors.  No, not men dressed as women.  Actresses?  "Shakespeare In Love" nothwithstanding, that just didn't happen during Shakespeare's lifetime.  It took about 75 years after he died for women to be allowed on an English stage. 
In spite of all these issues, I will follow the entire series because I am hooked on Shakespeare and the diverse approaches to his story. 

Have you read the Bill Bryson book?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »
"I hate literally everything about this show but I still plan to watch every episode."

Let it never be said that Stew is not a Shakespeare connoisseur of the finest order.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »

Are they running chronologically, or is it concentrating on Elizabethan or Jacobian era?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:21:27 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 18, 2017, 08:02:39 AM

Are they running chronologically, or is it concentrating on Elizabethan or Jacobian era?

So far he hasn't published anything so it has to be Elizabethan.  His first stuff was his poems.  Venus and Adonis, Lucrece.  But in this farce his first efforts seem to be unnamed plays.  Jeez.  Why am I watching?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 19, 2017, 11:21:27 PM

So far he hasn't published anything so it has to be Elizabethan.  His first stuff was his poems.  Venus and Adonis, Lucrece.  But in this farce his first efforts seem to be unnamed plays.  Jeez.  Why am I watching?

Well, I have it on good authority that Billy Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch of sonnets.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 05:18:16 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 20, 2017, 09:07:46 AM

Well, I have it on good authority that Billy Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch of sonnets.
They probably believe that it was the Earl of Oxford.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 20, 2017, 05:18:16 PM

Oxfordians are the worst.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 22, 2017, 11:31:24 AM

*Oxonians
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 23, 2017, 09:29:00 AM
Quote from: Bort on July 22, 2017, 11:31:24 AM

*Oxonians

No, Belgian Chuck.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck