News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Baby Driver  ( 1,867 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Baby Driver
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »
I admit it.  I am not young enough to appreciate this movie.  It is not a bad movie, if you like to watch improbable gymnastics performed by muscle cars and the unidentifiable crop of cars recently populating city streets and freeways.  No plot.  At least none that I can remember, but the audience in the theater that we went to didn't mind and many applauded at the end.  The star is a kid with some talent, Ansel Elgort, whom you may have seen in "The Fault Is In Your Stars", a tear-jerker about a fatally ill young woman.  This is not a "date movie", although Mrs. Cubbiebluestew gives it a thumbs up.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Baby Driver
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:15:46 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 02, 2017, 12:13:28 PM
I admit it.  I am not young enough to appreciate this movie.  It is not a bad movie, if you like to watch improbable gymnastics performed by muscle cars and the unidentifiable crop of cars recently populating city streets and freeways.  No plot.  At least none that I can remember, but the audience in the theater that we went to didn't mind and many applauded at the end.  The star is a kid with some talent, Ansel Elgort, whom you may have seen in "The Fault Is In Your Stars", a tear-jerker about a fatally ill young woman.  This is not a "date movie", although Mrs. Cubbiebluestew gives it a thumbs up.

So this isn't a Boss Baby sequel exploring The Baby's new career change?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 02, 2017, 12:15:46 PM

So this isn't a Boss Baby sequel exploring The Baby's new career change?

It's not a dramatization of a Simon & Garfunkel song?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »

The Wife also liked it. One of the characters is deaf (as is the actor portraying). Great soundtrack. Good cast. Least interesting characters are the leads. Jon Hamm, Kevin Spacey (doing a riff on Keyser Soze) and Jamie Foxx are clearly having a lot of fun.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 17, 2017, 10:30:54 AM

The Wife also liked it. One of the characters is deaf (as is the actor portraying). Great soundtrack. Good cast. Least interesting characters are the leads. Jon Hamm, Kevin Spacey (doing a riff on Keyser Soze) and Jamie Foxx are clearly having a lot of fun.
Kevin Spacey wasn't even trying to suppress his smirk.  I wouldn't have been surprised if he had winked at the camera.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 17, 2017, 07:23:54 PM

Kevin Spacey wasn't even trying to suppress his smirk.  I wouldn't have been surprised if he had winked at the camera.

Netflix hasn't been good for him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 17, 2017, 09:50:08 PM
Quote from: CBStew on July 17, 2017, 07:23:54 PM

Netflix hasn't been good for him.

The deleted scenes bonus reel for this movie is just going to be twenty minutes of Kevin Spacey turning to the camera and explaining the plot.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 02:46:15 AM »
The first fifteen minutes are pretty fucking annoying, the choreographed shoot-outs get old very quickly, and parts of the (ever-present) soundtrack are a bit obvious.  Other parts, on the other hand, are absolutely spot on: Baby's favourite song is Queen's "Brighton Rock" and when, in the early going, they cut away from it just before the solo, I was desperately hoping they'd get back to it.  They did - and how.  The movie theatre I was in was pretty fucking loud right the way through but that scene was almost deafening - and almost moved me to tears.  I've never heard that song that loud before and it was absolute magic.  Anyway, Hamm and (especially) Foxx are the best things in the movie, Jon Bernthal is criminally underused, Lily James is very, very cute, and Kevin Spacey's performance is absolutely nothing like Keyser Soze whatsoever.

Once it gets past its much-too-cool-for-school opening, this film grabs you by the scruff of the neck and doesn't let up for a second until it's all over.  Go and see it on the big screen if you possibly can.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.