News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: José Quintana: a Cub.  ( 10,982 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: José Quintana: a Cub.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 17, 2017, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 17, 2017, 01:11:52 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2017, 12:16:10 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 17, 2017, 12:08:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2017, 10:19:49 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 17, 2017, 09:53:20 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2017, 08:51:07 AM
I don't really feel bad throwing his one great start in the faces of people who shat on the trade even though it's a small sample size since those people have already decided that 3-4 bad starts this year mean more than 150+ starts of awesome over the last 3 years. Anyone who had a problem with this trade can still get soundly fucked.

Forget it. Quintana can win World Series MVP each of the next three years, and the first time Eloy puts one into the upper deck at Glen Lerner Field (that's what it will be by then), meatballs will be lighting up the Score's call-in lines.

Oh the meatballs don't bug me, it's the Extremely Rational FansTM who stand alone in the wilderness, the only souls smart enough and brave enough to say "umm, excuse me, but Prospects are actually Good and therefore this trade is bad." There are an annoying number of those, people who have spent way too much time writing about Cubs prospects the last 5 years and have reached the point where they can't rationally discuss parting with any of them and thus slander a dude like Jose Quintana as unworthy.

Yeah, but that's kind of meatballish thinking too...do you think they'd feel any differently had the same 4 guys brought back Kershaw?

Look, the Cubs have two lefties in the rotation now that are as good as any two lefties the Cubs have had in (looks it up) ever. Yeah, I admit I thought the price was high at first, until I remembered that it cost Torres to get a rental that helped the Cubs win the World Series. If Torres ever becomes a 5 WAR guy for the Yankees, you don't think people here will piss and moan about it?

Oh people bitch about losing Torres now, that never stopped. Most of 'em just point to game 7 as proof they didn't "need" Chapman, which kind of ignores how crucial he was in Game 5 among others, but oh well.

I agree we need to re-define meatball a bit. We live in a post-analytics world and have to stop assuming anyone with even a basic working knowledge of things like WAR or whatever has to be in "our" camp vs the meatball camp. The fact is prospect huggers and Dave Cameron-esque people who make up trade value rankings in a vacuum and tut tut any trade that doesn't line up perfectly in terms of their own scoring system are meatballs of a different sort. It's really just a more advanced way of doing the meatball fan trade proposal of "a buncha crap my team doesn't need for your star" whether they admit it or not.

There are three things everyone in the world thinks they can do better than the person doing it...drive a cab, run a hotel and build a baseball team.

Never mind that the guy currently doing it at 1060 W. Addison St. has proven to be one of the best in the history of baseball at doing at least one of these things. But I've never seen him drive, and I've never seen his picture in any of the hotels where I've stayed.

Is this a thing? Is this the definitive list?

I mean it also leaves out "manage a baseball team", which is absurd, since history's Great Tacticians have all pined for a chance to show they know more than Joe Maddon.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2017, 02:12:06 PM
I don't really feel bad throwing his one great start in the faces of people who shat on the trade even though it's a small sample size since those people have already decided that 3-4 bad starts this year mean more than 150+ starts of awesome over the last 3 years. Anyone who had a problem with this trade can still get soundly fucked.

Forget it. Quintana can win World Series MVP each of the next three years, and the first time Eloy puts one into the upper deck at Glen Lerner Field (that's what it will be by then), meatballs will be lighting up the Score's call-in lines.

Oh the meatballs don't bug me, it's the Extremely Rational FansTM who stand alone in the wilderness, the only souls smart enough and brave enough to say "umm, excuse me, but Prospects are actually Good and therefore this trade is bad." There are an annoying number of those, people who have spent way too much time writing about Cubs prospects the last 5 years and have reached the point where they can't rationally discuss parting with any of them and thus slander a dude like Jose Quintana as unworthy.

Yeah, but that's kind of meatballish thinking too...do you think they'd feel any differently had the same 4 guys brought back Kershaw?

Look, the Cubs have two lefties in the rotation now that are as good as any two lefties the Cubs have had in (looks it up) ever. Yeah, I admit I thought the price was high at first, until I remembered that it cost Torres to get a rental that helped the Cubs win the World Series. If Torres ever becomes a 5 WAR guy for the Yankees, you don't think people here will piss and moan about it?

Oh people bitch about losing Torres now, that never stopped. Most of 'em just point to game 7 as proof they didn't "need" Chapman, which kind of ignores how crucial he was in Game 5 among others, but oh well.

I agree we need to re-define meatball a bit. We live in a post-analytics world and have to stop assuming anyone with even a basic working knowledge of things like WAR or whatever has to be in "our" camp vs the meatball camp. The fact is prospect huggers and Dave Cameron-esque people who make up trade value rankings in a vacuum and tut tut any trade that doesn't line up perfectly in terms of their own scoring system are meatballs of a different sort. It's really just a more advanced way of doing the meatball fan trade proposal of "a buncha crap my team doesn't need for your star" whether they admit it or not.

There are three things everyone in the world thinks they can do better than the person doing it...drive a cab, run a hotel and build a baseball team.

Never mind that the guy currently doing it at 1060 W. Addison St. has proven to be one of the best in the history of baseball at doing at least one of these things. But I've never seen him drive, and I've never seen his picture in any of the hotels where I've stayed.

I mean it also leaves out "manage a baseball team", which is absurd, since history's Great Tacticians have all pined for a chance to show they know more than Joe Maddon.

After reading Twitter this weekend, you may want to add 'cast a TV show' to the list as well
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »

Fork is going to run Trump Hotels.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »

"You know. You all know exactly who I am. Say my name."
"You're Trooblud."
"You're goddamn right."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »

I'm still using Phil Rogers' system, which rates the Quintana trade as a -3 and therefore it was bad.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:11 PM »
Quote from: flannj on July 17, 2017, 02:23:36 PM

Rubber sheets on every bed.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on July 17, 2017, 03:34:11 PM
Quote from: flannj on July 17, 2017, 02:23:36 PM

Rubber sheets on every bed.

Complimentary piss for all international guests (except Mexicans, Muslims, and very rude Brits).

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on July 17, 2017, 02:36:36 PM

I'm still using Phil Rogers' system, which rates the Quintana trade as a -3 and therefore it was bad.

It's actually a +1 using the true Rogers system.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 17, 2017, 03:48:42 PM

He might have been using the new bRog, which has been updated to factor in leap years. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 05:57:45 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 17, 2017, 04:52:38 PM
Quote from: R-V on July 17, 2017, 03:48:42 PM

He might have been using the new bRog, which has been updated to factor in leap years. 

Bingo. At some point Ol' Phil hopped on the prospect bandwagon, I'm sure of it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

No.  It is "run a restaurant", not "run a hotel". 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 17, 2017, 07:13:29 PM

Once again Stew is right.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
Quote from: flannj on July 17, 2017, 08:23:13 PM
Quote from: CBStew on July 17, 2017, 07:13:29 PM

Once again Stew is right.

So, Fork got them all wrong?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
Paul Goldschmidt: A Hanging Curveball
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 03, 2017, 03:07:07 PM
Paul Goldschmidt: A Hanging Curveball

Brandon Drury: A Hanginger Curveball