News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread  ( 6,716 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »
We'll see what this remaining 13-day sprint happens beginning today with Wilson, but seeing him come into that game Friday and strike out one of the toughest batters in baseball with practically no margin for error (particularly when he threw 2 straight balls to let the count get to 3-2) leads me to believe that he will get at least one shot to that in the playoffs meaning he's probably on--at least for the 1st round.

Rondon could still blow it down the stretch but he'd have to so in order to lose the job to Uehara or a bench player.

I really think Uehara is off, at least in the first round, and that's that.  Rivera, Caratini and Grimm can keep his seat in the stands warm.  Martin too.

The discussion can pretty much be steered to lineups/playing time now....while I don't wish to overstate the importance of a leadoff hitter, you still don't want a guy with shitty on-base skills.  However I also don't think Joe should put Schwarber and Rizzo there either.  And Jon Jay should not really be getting any starts in the playoffs (maybe 1) and so if you think a leadoff hitter is important, it seems that Zobrist might have to be in the lineup just for that reason.  And if he's going to be there to bat leadoff and set the table for the big boys (even though his numbers don't shine as well from leadoff in his career, he's still the best option IMO) he has to do so at the expense of Heyward.  I'm nervous about Zobrist manning RF on a consistent basis but that'd be the only spot to put him  (unless you put Bryant in RF with Baez at 3rd which didn't happen once last postseason).

Happ, LaStella, Jay and Avila make a solid bench, and Heyward of course would make a helluva late-inning defensive replacement.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 19, 2017, 09:13:20 AM
We'll see what this remaining 13-day sprint happens beginning today with Wilson, but seeing him come into that game Friday and strike out one of the toughest batters in baseball with practically no margin for error (particularly when he threw 2 straight balls to let the count get to 3-2) leads me to believe that he will get at least one shot to that in the playoffs meaning he's probably on--at least for the 1st round.

Rondon could still blow it down the stretch but he'd have to so in order to lose the job to Uehara or a bench player.

I really think Uehara is off, at least in the first round, and that's that.  Rivera, Caratini and Grimm can keep his seat in the stands warm.  Martin too.

The discussion can pretty much be steered to lineups/playing time now....while I don't wish to overstate the importance of a leadoff hitter, you still don't want a guy with shitty on-base skills.  However I also don't think Joe should put Schwarber and Rizzo there either.  And Jon Jay should not really be getting any starts in the playoffs (maybe 1) and so if you think a leadoff hitter is important, it seems that Zobrist might have to be in the lineup just for that reason.  And if he's going to be there to bat leadoff and set the table for the big boys (even though his numbers don't shine as well from leadoff in his career, he's still the best option IMO) he has to do so at the expense of Heyward.  I'm nervous about Zobrist manning RF on a consistent basis but that'd be the only spot to put him  (unless you put Bryant in RF with Baez at 3rd which didn't happen once last postseason).

Happ, LaStella, Jay and Avila make a solid bench, and Heyward of course would make a helluva late-inning defensive replacement.

There's a decent shot Schwarber is the odd man out. Almora in center over Jay. Happ in left with Baez and Russell on the infield.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 19, 2017, 09:25:23 AM

There's a decent shot Schwarber is the odd man out. Almora in center over Jay. Happ in left with Baez and Russell on the infield.

No, Chuck.

I should stop there, but what fucking goddamned drain cleaner are you chugging that makes even your addled, diseased brain think  the guy with a .294/.351/.588/.940 line in September (and a .238/.340/.512/.858 line in August and a .250/.333/.607/.940 line in July etc.) is the one who'll get left off of the fucking roster? Jesus wept you really are just the shit-kicking worst.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

Yeah no that won't happen--at worst he'll split PT with Happ but he's not "out" like LaStella or Jay and can be expected to get more than the 1 start that those two might get.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2017, 09:31:50 AM

No, Chuck.

I should stop there, but what fucking goddamned drain cleaner are you chugging that makes even your addled, diseased brain think  the guy with a .294/.351/.588/.940 line in September (and a .238/.340/.512/.858 line in August and a .250/.333/.607/.940 line in July etc.) is the one who'll get left off of the fucking roster? Jesus wept you really are just the shit-kicking worst.

DPD.

Just so we're clear, not even Chuck is saying to leave him off the roster but rather, simply the "everyday" lineup, such as it is.  Still wrong tho.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 19, 2017, 09:39:57 AM

No, Chuck.

I should stop there, but what fucking goddamned drain cleaner are you chugging that makes even your addled, diseased brain think  the guy with a .294/.351/.588/.940 line in September (and a .238/.340/.512/.858 line in August and a .250/.333/.607/.940 line in July etc.) is the one who'll get left off of the fucking roster? Jesus wept you really are just the shit-kicking worst.

DPD.

Just so we're clear, not even Chuck is saying to leave him off the roster but rather, simply the "everyday" lineup, such as it is.  Still wrong tho.

Yeah that's still very wrong, but my urge to kill is fading. Against RHP the lineup in Oct should be : Zobrist 2B/Bryant RF/Rizzo 1B/Contreras C/Schwarber LF/Happ CF/Baez 3B/Russell SS. Sub in Heyward when you have a lead, you can always move Contreras to LF and pinch hit Avila in a big spot if needed. Jay can sub in, etc.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »

I really think Uehara is off, at least in the first round, and that's that.  Rivera, Caratini and Grimm can keep his seat in the stands warm.  Martin too.

The discussion can pretty much be steered to lineups/playing time now....while I don't wish to overstate the importance of a leadoff hitter, you still don't want a guy with shitty on-base skills.  However I also don't think Joe should put Schwarber and Rizzo there either.  And Jon Jay should not really be getting any starts in the playoffs (maybe 1) and so if you think a leadoff hitter is important, it seems that Zobrist might have to be in the lineup just for that reason.  And if he's going to be there to bat leadoff and set the table for the big boys (even though his numbers don't shine as well from leadoff in his career, he's still the best option IMO) he has to do so at the expense of Heyward.  I'm nervous about Zobrist manning RF on a consistent basis but that'd be the only spot to put him  (unless you put Bryant in RF with Baez at 3rd which didn't happen once last postseason).

No, Chuck.

I should stop there, but what fucking goddamned drain cleaner are you chugging that makes even your addled, diseased brain think  the guy with a .294/.351/.588/.940 line in September (and a .238/.340/.512/.858 line in August and a .250/.333/.607/.940 line in July etc.) is the one who'll get left off of the fucking roster? Jesus wept you really are just the shit-kicking worst.

Not off the roster you dope. Just on the bench.

Almora's September: .387/.387/.742/1.129.  And Joe plays defense over offense.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »
More realistically I accept that Heyward's somewhat encouraging bat of late means he's probably a lock vs RHP so I'm guessing:

vs RHP: Zobrist 2B/Bryant 3B/Rizzo 1B/Contreras C/Schwarber LF/Russell SS/Happ CF/Heyward RF
vs LHP: Zobrist LF/Bryant 3B/Rizzo 1B/Contreras C/Baez 2B/Almora CF/Russell SS/Happ RF

I would expect Joe to pinch hit and sub even more liberally than before because Avila/Rivera (vs LHP anyway)/La Stella/Jay make a pretty solid bench.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »
In the playoffs with scoring harder to come by I think the value of a potential Schwarber Dong (and lest we forget he is tied w Bryant/Rizzo in all time playoff homers for the Cubs despite missing two entire series that they played) outweighs whatever potential improvements Almora or Jay might offer defensively, and in the second half at least he's gotten on base better than both have.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »
Pitchers are still scared of Schwarber (almost as scared of him as they are of Rizzo and Bryant), and he's given them something to fear of late. He starts vs. RHs.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2017, 09:43:48 AM
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 19, 2017, 09:39:57 AM

No, Chuck.

DPD.

Yeah that's still very wrong, but my urge to kill is fading. Against RHP the lineup in Oct should be : Zobrist 2B/Bryant RF/Rizzo 1B/Contreras C/Schwarber LF/Happ CF/Baez 3B/Russell SS. Sub in Heyward when you have a lead, you can always move Contreras to LF and pinch hit Avila in a big spot if needed. Jay can sub in, etc.

Okay, just so you know Bryant didn't play an inning of OF once the playoffs began last year--just pointing that out.  I remember thinking it was odd since he so freely played out there during the regular season but in the playoffs he didn't.  Same would have been true of this regular season but for the time Heyward had a sore wrist and missed 10 days-2 weeks.  I'm sure Bryant could handle it but I don't know if Joe will all of a sudden do it after he didn't do it last postseason and did it only 9 times this season.  

At the same time it also wouldn't be unprecedented for Joe to sit Heyward.  Remember that Almora was actually the starting Right Fielder in the pennant-clinching game vs. Kershaw and Soler got 2 (3?) starts over Heyward in the Series.  I still don't see Joe benching him the ENTIRE postseason though  even if he really should.  Not doing so is why these discussions are a challenge.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2017, 09:49:41 AM
More realistically I accept that Heyward's somewhat encouraging bat of late means he's probably a lock vs RHP so I'm guessing:

vs RHP: Zobrist 2B/Bryant 3B/Rizzo 1B/Contreras C/Schwarber LF/Russell SS/Happ CF/Heyward RF
vs LHP: Zobrist LF/Bryant 3B/Rizzo 1B/Contreras C/Baez 2B/Almora CF/Russell SS/Happ RF

I would expect Joe to pinch hit and sub even more liberally than before because Avila/Rivera (vs LHP anyway)/La Stella/Jay make a pretty solid bench.

This seems about right. As much as I'd like to see a Bryant RF/Baez 3B alignment over Heyward RF/Bryant 3B, Bryant has logged all of 65 innings in the OF this year compared to 453 last year.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »

I think this is about right actually.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »
ABOUTRIGHTFACEDBYADEADGUY

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »

Happ in RF would surprise me. He hasn't played there in all of September and only two times in August (the 1st and 31st).