News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's Really Win Two: the 2017 Postseason thread  ( 10,649 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's Really Win Two: the 2017 Postseason thread
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
DPD, but also the lack of salary cap in MLB is somewhat mitigated by baseball players generally peaking/declining earlier and harder than NHL players, thus make FA a bad place to buy wins, and also the fact that there's nothing in hockey quite as unpredictable as pitching variance and injury.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2017, 10:03:11 AM
DPD, but also the lack of salary cap in MLB is somewhat mitigated by baseball players generally peaking/declining earlier and harder than NHL players, thus make FA a bad place to buy wins, and also the fact that there's nothing in hockey quite as unpredictable as pitching variance and injury.

You're right, nobody ever gets hurt playing hockey.

And there's no such thing as streaky goalies.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 19, 2017, 10:12:13 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2017, 10:03:11 AM

You're right, nobody ever gets hurt playing hockey.

And there's no such thing as streaky goalies.

Didn't say that hockey players don't get hurt, but pitching is such a key part of building any MLB team long term, and no position on earth gets hurt with more regularity than MLB pitchers.

Again, I'm not saying hockey playoffs aren't somewhat random. They are certainly more random than the NBA, I'd even disagree with that Harvard study and say they're less predictable than the NFL. In the NFL you can usually pick superbowl winners come playoff time with a certain degree of success just by asking who has the best combo of QB and pass rush.

But they are not, by any kind of evidence, "more random" than baseball playoffs. At this point the onus is on you to show me how they are. I've given far more evidence that they aren't.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
Also, shit, when you factor in a hockey playoff field of 16 vs an MLB field of 8-10, the fact that it has produced the same number of unique champions in that time frame is also evidence it's playoffs aren't more random. If MLB had 16 teams every year there'd really be chaos.

Shit for all of the talk of the President's Cup curse the team that won that has won the Cup more often (25%) than the team that has best overall record in MLB has won the World Series (23%) since the year that started.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2017, 10:37:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 19, 2017, 10:33:15 AM
Also, shit, when you factor in a hockey playoff field of 16 vs an MLB field of 8-10, the fact that it has produced the same number of unique champions in that time frame is also evidence it's playoffs aren't more random. If MLB had 16 teams every year there'd really be chaos.

Shit for all of the talk of the President's Cup curse the team that won that has won the Cup more often (25%) than the team that has best overall record in MLB has won the World Series (23%) since the year that started.

Every playoff game that goes to OT is sudden death. It's like having both teams batting in the bottom of the 9th.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 19, 2017, 10:37:18 AM

Every playoff game that goes to OT is sudden death. It's like having both teams batting in the bottom of the 9th.

This argument is dumb and I hate it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »

I mean, that's neat. Playoff hockey is exciting. The better team still tends to win those games more often than the better team wins MLB playoff games. If a playoff field of 16 teams every produces the same number of unique champions, repeat champions etc. as a playoff field of 8 teams every year there's no way to claim the 16 team field is somehow "more random." It's decidedly less.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 19, 2017, 10:54:36 AM

This argument is dumb and I hate it.

"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »

Who is on first?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
test

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »
What happened?
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »
Quote from: Andy on October 22, 2017, 05:30:29 PM
test

If you're just joining us, they did not, in fact, win two.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!