News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Halt and Catch Fire  ( 1,410 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Halt and Catch Fire
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:18:42 PM »
I concede that it's basically impossible to convince anyone to do anything on the internet, but if:

1) you're looking for something to watch
2) you enjoy really well-written drama
3) have any sort of interest in technology and/or the 80s/90s

You really should watch this show. I think the first three seasons are on Netflix. The fourth and final season just wrapped up.

It took the place of Mad Men as AMC's period drama. I believe the first season was sort of critically panned although I enjoyed it in spite of the flaws. I remember reading that it's a miracle that they lasted four seasons and after watching the last few seasons, I'm not sure why.

It did change quite a bit over the last three seasons. But, frankly, it's one of the best shows in terms of characters that I can recall. I prefer it to Mad Men because I find the arcs a lot more believable. I got a lot more invested in the characters. And frankly, I got a little choked up a few times during the last few episodes. One of which is hands down the most authentic depiction of post death/grieving/moving on that I can recall seeing ... anywhere?

It's not a show that you could just jump into and get a lot of enjoyment. It's a slower burn. You would need to see the entire story from beginning to end to appreciate the epilogue.

Watch it. Or don't. But seriously. Watch it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Halt and Catch Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 17, 2017, 08:18:42 PM
I concede that it's basically impossible to convince anyone to do anything on the internet, but if:

You really should watch this show. I think the first three seasons are on Netflix. The fourth and final season just wrapped up.

It took the place of Mad Men as AMC's period drama. I believe the first season was sort of critically panned although I enjoyed it in spite of the flaws. I remember reading that it's a miracle that they lasted four seasons and after watching the last few seasons, I'm not sure why.

It did change quite a bit over the last three seasons. But, frankly, it's one of the best shows in terms of characters that I can recall. I prefer it to Mad Men because I find the arcs a lot more believable. I got a lot more invested in the characters. And frankly, I got a little choked up a few times during the last few episodes. One of which is hands down the most authentic depiction of post death/grieving/moving on that I can recall seeing ... anywhere?

It's not a show that you could just jump into and get a lot of enjoyment. It's a slower burn. You would need to see the entire story from beginning to end to appreciate the epilogue.

Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix. I'm starting this soon. How soon depends on some hitters.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 04:32:58 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 17, 2017, 09:54:47 PM

Seasons 1-3 are on Netflix. I'm starting this soon. How soon depends on some hitters.

Soon, then.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 18, 2017, 04:32:58 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 17, 2017, 09:54:47 PM

Soon, then.

Bat mitzvah is Saturday. Guessing Sunday night would be episode 1.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »

Co-sign. Great show.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 18, 2017, 09:13:31 AM

Co-sign. Great show.

I'm going to spoil this -- not because it reveals any plot points, but because I don't think I'd have been able to stop thinking about it while watching him steal scene after scene had I known it before. And those scenes are some of the best parts of the show.

If you already know who Toby Huss is, then this won't blow your mind. I however, did not when I learned this yesterday.

Toby Huss (Bosworth) also played "The Wiz" on Seinfeld and "Artie, the Strongest Man in the World" on Pete and Pete.