News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Mike D., DOWN IN FRONT  ( 1,457 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Mike D., DOWN IN FRONT
« on: November 26, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
I only assume this as it has been 48 hours and Mike Donohue has failed to properly mark the passing of Bears draft bust John Thierry.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Mike D., DOWN IN FRONT
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:07 AM »
Garbanzobeanz outlasts another one.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »
Not dead, nor did I go into seizures upon seeing the orange links (and SKO threw out an APB on Twitter also but I was generally unplugged all weekend).

To re-phrase what I replied with...

Curtises Conway and (P)Enis, and Walt Harris (but not Rashaan Salaam) outlast another one.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
Quote from: Bort on November 27, 2017, 07:24:07 AM

DPD

You may recall (and if you do, then kudos) that one of my more ignominious nickname-dispensings--and one for which I took a similar beating to the one I took (at the time) for Garbanzo Beans for Tom Gorzellany, before Garbanzo Beans proved more enduring, was John Thierry-Of-Relatively-Awful-Wannstedt-Picks

If I were to guess at anyone to have made reference to this it'd have been RV but of course he, too, has been dead for a long time.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 27, 2017, 08:38:56 AM

DPD

You may recall (and if you do, then kudos) that one of my more ignominious nickname-dispensings--and one for which I took a similar beating to the one I took (at the time) for Garbanzo Beans for Tom Gorzellany, before Garbanzo Beans proved more enduring, was John Thierry-Of-Relatively-Awful-Wannstedt-Picks

If I were to guess at anyone to have made reference to this it'd have been RV but of course he, too, has been dead for a long time.

Can confirm that this amazing nickname was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the news Thierry had not outlasted Alonzo Spellman.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 27, 2017, 09:27:38 AM

DPD

Can confirm that this amazing nickname was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the news Thierry had not outlasted Alonzo Spellman.

same. also that Wanny compared him to Charles Haley when drafting him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »

DPD

I did remember, but obviously Garbanzo Beans outlasted him.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 27, 2017, 01:38:59 PM

DPD

I did remember, but obviously Garbanzo Beans outlasted him.

It's clearly the Morgan Freeman of nicknames.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »

Who were the good Wanny picks? John Allred? Marcus Spears? Carl Simpson? Pat Riley? Todd Sauerbum? Paul Grasmanis?

OK, you can have Raymont and Jim Flannigan.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 27, 2017, 02:12:28 PM

Who were the good Wanny picks? John Allred? Marcus Spears? Carl Simpson? Pat Riley? Todd Sauerbum? Paul Grasmanis?

Jim Flanigan fucking sucked, sorry.

Walt Harris was a decent player for a few years.  I would actually say he was their best draft pick (with Raymont a close second) and that is just so fucking sad, particularly when you factor in the fact that Wannstedt gets paid to talk about the NFL on the SCORE.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 27, 2017, 02:15:09 PM

Jim Flanigan fucking sucked, sorry.

Walt Harris was a decent player for a few years.  I would actually say he was their best draft pick (with Raymont a close second) and that is just so fucking sad, particularly when you factor in the fact that Wannstedt gets paid to talk about the NFL on the SCORE.
I have often wondered about the Bears' predilection for drafting mediocre players from mediocre Mid-Western schools.  Don't they subscribe to newspapers that aren't published in Illinois or Indiana?  Do their TV sets not get stations located outside of those states? 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 02:57:34 PM »

Olin Kreutz? Chris Villarial? Warrick Holdman?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 03:01:06 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 27, 2017, 02:57:34 PM

Shit I guess I forgot that Kreutz was in Wanny's last draft in '98 (the Penis Draft).

And Holdman's a good call.  For that matter, ditto Rosy Colvin (unless Jauron drafted Colvin).

Even then...it's some pretty weak tea for 6 draft classes.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on November 27, 2017, 03:01:06 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 27, 2017, 02:57:34 PM

Shit I guess I forgot that Kreutz was in Wanny's last draft in '98 (the Penis Draft).

And Holdman's a good call.  For that matter, ditto Rosy Colvin (unless Jauron drafted Colvin).

Even then...it's some pretty weak tea for 6 draft classes.

Curtis Conway had over 8,000 yards receiving in his career and played for over a decade despite never playing with a quarterback better than Rookie Drew Brees. He caught passes from Rick Mirer AND Ryan Leaf. He was a fine pick, but there's never really been any point to being a quality receiver on the Bears.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
Just to round this out, I will add that Marcus Robinson (1997), Tony Parrish and Patrick Mannelly (both 1998) proved to not be 100% dogshit, which  was pretty much the bar Wannstedt set.