News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: It's Not My Fault...  ( 5,048 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
It's Not My Fault...
« on: January 04, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
It's not my fault.  Well, technically it is.  We had a 4.5 earthquake that was centered 2 blocks from our house here in Berkeley. 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2018/01/04/powerful-4-5-magnitude-earthquake-rattles-californias-bay-area-today/#7723f8b66665

We had one thing fall off a shelf, but no breakage.  No new cracks in the plaster. No bricks fell off the chimney.  Otherwise we had light rain and about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.  I would rather be here than on the East Coast today. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: It's Not My Fault...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
Bomb Quake > Bomb Cyclone

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »
We have had about five shakes in the past 36 hours in the neighborhood of around 3.0 on the Richter.  I haven't felt any of them, but I heard my house reacting to one of them.  I think that cracks in the plaster give a house character. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »
We just had a 3.8.  This one went off with a bang.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »
We had a 3.5 at 4:10 this morning.  It was during a frog-drowning downpour.  Mother Nature must be really pissed off at us today.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 17, 2019, 12:17:07 PM
We had a 3.5 at 4:10 this morning.  It was during a frog-drowning downpour.  Mother Nature must be really pissed off at us today.

Or at frogs.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 12:24:23 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 17, 2019, 01:22:05 PM
Quote from: CBStew on January 17, 2019, 12:17:07 PM

Or at frogs.

Ahem.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 12:51:00 PM »
We have received notice from our gas and electric provider, PG & E, that it is likely to shut off our electricity sometime today because high winds have been predicted beginning this afternoon and lasting into Monday.  PG & E is a publicly traded utility company.  It is not a governmental entity, although it and its shareholders behave as though it is.  What can we do?  We have stockpiled candles and flashlights around the house.  I have charged two laptops.   And that is about it.  I supposed we could cook and distribute all the food in our refrigerator and freezer.  But that is all I can think of. 

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »
At some point in the near future, I am hopeful that my wife and I will buy a couple of Powerwalls from Tesla. Very useful in the event of a power outage, and even better if you have solar on your roof.
M'lady.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 28, 2019, 08:02:38 AM
At some point in the near future, I am hopeful that my wife and I will buy a couple of Powerwalls from Tesla. Very useful in the event of a power outage, and even better if you have solar on your roof.
I understand that the cost of that is around $25000.  Seems a little steep.  We already have solar not only for hot water but for power.  But unfortunately that gets shut down because it is connected to the PG&E grid.   We are actually providing power back to PG&E while it has imposed a blackout on us.  One block away my neighbors are still enjoying the benefits of living in the 21st century while Mrs. CBStew and I stumble around in the dark.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 28, 2019, 01:32:43 PM
I understand that the cost of that is around $25000.  Seems a little steep.  We already have solar not only for hot water but for power.  But unfortunately that gets shut down because it is connected to the PG&E grid.   We are actually providing power back to PG&E while it has imposed a blackout on us.  One block away my neighbors are still enjoying the benefits of living in the 21st century while Mrs. CBStew and I stumble around in the dark.

After around 48 hours the electricity has returned.  I have taken for granted that life owes me this amenity. 
I appreciate  it much more now.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 28, 2019, 01:32:43 PM

I think you're talking about solar panels + power walls. A single power wall is $6500 and would probably do in a pinch.
M'lady.

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 12:00:20 AM »
We had a major storm blow through central WI in July with straight-line winds of 80+. As expected, trees and power lines down all over the area with a lot of house and vehicle damage. Got lucky with power only being out for a day, but people were foul at work for the most part. Avg person in the area was w/o power for 3-7 days. Technology's wonderful when it's working, but go with no power for a few days and it's like being in the stone age.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 11:01:49 AM »
We had a 2.7 this morning.  Not  a big deal.  The epicenter was 3 miles from my home.