News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Darkest Hour  ( 2,749 )

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Darkest Hour
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »
I make no apologies for being a history nerd, especially from this era.
But if Gary Oldman doesn't win an Oscar it would be a shame.
Watched it in a packed theatre, the entire audience was transfixed and a big round of applause at the end.
The more you know about WW1 will help to understand what led up to this and perhaps the treatment of Neville Chamberlain was a bit more harsh than necessary.

No, it probably wasn't.

Anyway, great movie. Oldman is terrific. Go see it even if you're not a history nerd.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Darkest Hour
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:47:13 AM »
Quote from: flannj on January 07, 2018, 07:51:56 AM
Watched it in a packed theatre, the entire audience was transfixed and a big round of applause at the end.
The more you know about WW1 will help to understand what led up to this and perhaps the treatment of Neville Chamberlain was a bit more harsh than necessary.

No, it probably wasn't.

Anyway, great movie. Oldman is terrific. Go see it even if you're not a history nerd.

Although on paper it's right up my street, I've heard very mixed reviews of this movie - many complaining of the story being simplistic, trite or clichéd - and I'm wary of pissing my time and money away on another "Dunkirk"-style debacle.  It sounds as though you didn't feel that way about it, though, right?

As a matter of interest, did you see John Lithgow's performance in "The Crown"?  And if so, what did you think of it?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 08, 2018, 03:47:13 AM

No, it probably wasn't.

Although on paper it's right up my street, I've heard very mixed reviews of this movie - many complaining of the story being simplistic, trite or clichéd - and I'm wary of pissing my time and money away on another "Dunkirk"-style debacle.  It sounds as though you didn't feel that way about it, though, right?

As a matter of interest, did you see John Lithgow's performance in "The Crown"?  And if so, what did you think of it?
Although there are some negative reviews (mostly about one particular scene) I think you should see it just for Oldman.
It is not a perfect movie but trite might be a bit harsh.
I mean you either want to see a movie about Churchill during an extremely difficult period or you don't.
It's not like they are uncovering a different line of history.
I really wanted to see "Dunkirk" but I didn't based off of so many negative reviews, including yours.
It's not "Dunkirk".

"The Crown"
I am 1 1/2 episodes in.
This is a completely different era and while the Royal Family interests me some as I am a bit of an Anglophile it's not from the period that interests me as much.
My appreciation for these historical dramas comes mostly because of the elegant usage of the English language and our shared history.
After all I did read all 21 volumes of the Aubrey - Maturin series.
It is a bit weird to see Lithgow portray a 6' 4" Churchill.
mrs. flannj knows much more about the Royals than me, so that helps.
I will keep watching.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »

No, it probably wasn't.

The reason that I won't see this movie is because Gary Oldman is in it.  I know that he has apologized and said that "some of his best friends...", but I carry grudges.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 09, 2018, 01:26:52 PM

No, it probably wasn't.

The reason that I won't see this movie is because Gary Oldman is in it.  I know that he has apologized and said that "some of his best friends...", but I carry grudges.

I wasn't aware of this Stew.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 05:51:34 PM »
Quote from: flannj on January 09, 2018, 02:06:50 PM

No, it probably wasn't.

At least he didn't go full on Mel Gibson.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 09, 2018, 05:51:34 PM

No, it probably wasn't.

Yeah. Oldman is a turd, which sucks because he's a great actor.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 10, 2018, 09:16:57 AM

No, it probably wasn't.

There is a very old and ongoing debate about separating the artist from his art.  Thus, the Israeli Philharmonic regularly performs Wagner, and Degas is revered for his masterpieces.  I think that it is easier when the artist has died.  At least then you are assured that you won't open the morning paper and read that he has called the cop who just arrested him for DUI "sugar tits".   It is really hard to take Woody Allen, yet 99% of his movies are must see.  I think that Louie CK is brilliant, but I wouldn't invite him to dinner.  In the end we have to acknowledge that the artist's mishagas is part of what makes him who he is.  If you appreciate his art that doesn't mean that you have to like him. 

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 10, 2018, 04:32:43 PM

No, it probably wasn't.

There is a very old and ongoing debate about separating the artist from his art.  Thus, the Israeli Philharmonic regularly performs Wagner, and Degas is revered for his masterpieces.  I think that it is easier when the artist has died.  At least then you are assured that you won't open the morning paper and read that he has called the cop who just arrested him for DUI "sugar tits".   It is really hard to take Woody Allen, yet 99% of his movies are must see.  I think that Louie CK is brilliant, but I wouldn't invite him to dinner.  In the end we have to acknowledge that the artist's mishagas is part of what makes him who he is.  If you appreciate his art that doesn't mean that you have to like him.

Given our current point in time I'm constantly surprised as to who's a misogynist, abuser, racist, anti-semite, homophobe, deviant or some other form of bully.
It seems like everybody.
Except you guys.
(sigh)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »
Adding for Stew particularly, kind of like separating Justice from the Law.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 03:49:40 AM »
Quote from: flannj on January 10, 2018, 05:15:04 PM

No, it probably wasn't.

Given our current point in time I'm constantly surprised as to who's a misogynist, abuser, racist, anti-semite, homophobe, deviant or some other form of bully.
It seems like everybody.
Except you guys.
(sigh)

Oh, God, no - I'm definitely several of those things.  I hate nearly everybody.  The only reason I like Jewish people is because they have great food.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »

No, it probably wasn't.

I don't watch most of those guys anymore. I can no longer watch the show and think of the actor as the character. Eg. I can't watch anything with Tom Cruise and think of anything other than his Scientology videos. Takes me out of the show. I was going to rent and rewatch Baby Driver and then I remember Kevin Spacey.

I am excited that we are about to be done with James Franco.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:43:54 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 11, 2018, 10:05:14 AM

No, it probably wasn't.

I don't watch most of those guys anymore. I can no longer watch the show and think of the actor as the character. Eg. I can't watch anything with Tom Cruise and think of anything other than his Scientology videos. Takes me out of the show. I was going to rent and rewatch Baby Driver and then I remember Kevin Spacey.

I am excited that we are about to be done with James Franco.

It's nowhere near on the same scale but I'm genuinely thrilled about being done with Stan Lee's creepy little fucking cameos.