News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Hostiles  ( 1,085 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hostiles
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »
Christian "I'm Batman" Bale portrays a jaded American captain serving in New Mexico with two months to go before his 20 year retirement and claim to a pension.  He is given an assignment to guard a dying Native American chief who has been in custody back to Wyoming.  (I am not sure why the Chief is being sent back to his home.  Seems like a lot of trouble for someone who is considered a criminal and is going to die soon.)  The detachment runs into all sorts of trouble that anyone in the audience could have warned Bale about.  Did I mention that Bale's character hates Native Americans?  Something that struck me when the movie was over is that they traveled consistently across the screen from right to left, which for me heightened the sense that they were going from south to north.  The star of the film throughout was the landscape.  The photography left anything the John Ford did in the dust.  Literally.  Rosamund Pike plays a woman whom they pick up along the way.  Her family has been slaughtered by Comanches and she is a babbling idiot, until she snaps out of it and becomes a heroine, of course.   If this review sounds sarcastic, that is just my personality.  Ignore the my review and go see the movie.  It will cost you more than $8 dollars.  I don't know where Andy got that $8 ticket price.  It must be left over from when he was a fan of Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hostiles
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 29, 2018, 10:27:16 AM
Something that struck me when the movie was over is that they traveled consistently across the screen from right to left, which for me heightened the sense that they were going from south to north.

The director was clearly a fan of Lawrence of Arabia.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Hostiles
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 29, 2018, 01:49:57 PM
Quote from: CBStew on January 29, 2018, 10:27:16 AM
Something that struck me when the movie was over is that they traveled consistently across the screen from right to left, which for me heightened the sense that they were going from south to north.

The director was clearly a fan of Lawrence of Arabia.

He's an English guy, he came to fight the Turkish.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16