News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Yu Darvish Two-Straight-Cy-Youngs-Then-Opting-Out Splooge-O-Rama  ( 7,685 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
It's on.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Yu Darvish Two-Straight-Cy-Youngs-Then-Opting-Out Splooge-O-Rama
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »
I think he needs to rely more on the eephus. Hopefully Jim Benedict agrees.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
Good piece here on how Darvish joining the rotation not only means adding Montgomery to an already-improved bullpen, but it also means launching a subpar reliever (Justin Grimm) to Mars.

So the Cubs essentially traded Justin Grimm and money for Yu Darvish.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 14, 2018, 08:40:26 AM
Good piece here on how Darvish joining the rotation not only means adding Montgomery to an already-improved bullpen, but it also means launching a subpar reliever (Justin Grimm) to Mars.

Someone else pointed out that Darvish/Chatwood will be costing the Cubs just a few million more each year than what Arrieta/Lackey cost.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »
I'm most excited that I'll be able to constantly drive Pen crazy with my "No YU Darvish" "joke" for the next few years.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on February 14, 2018, 10:06:57 AM
I'm most excited that I'll be able to constantly drive Pen crazy with my "No YU Darvish" "joke" for the next few years.

The seedy underbelly of a seemingly positive acquisition.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on February 14, 2018, 10:06:57 AM

Shit, you know Maddon's going to throw him out in the field for one inning just for the "Yu's on first" jokes.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »

Indeed, adding a good player means more good players, and fewer bad players, on the roster. This is the bold, cutting edge analysis I demand from Fangraphs.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 14, 2018, 03:50:45 PM

Indeed, adding a good player means more good players, and fewer bad players, on the roster. This is the bold, cutting edge analysis I demand from Fangraphs.

Also, Grimm is still on the team assuming they go with 8 relievers, and a guy like Maples or Simmons doesn't have a great spring.

Morrow
Cishek
Strop
Edwards
Grimm
Wilson
Duensing
Montgomery

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »

+1

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 14, 2018, 04:13:24 PM

Also, Grimm is still on the team assuming they go with 8 relievers, and a guy like Maples or Simmons doesn't have a great spring.

Morrow
Cishek
Strop
Edwards
Grimm
Wilson
Duensing
Montgomery

Yeah Grimm is finally out of options (I still have no idea how he had them as late as last year, considering he made his debut in Texas in like 2012 or something) so I'd expect him to get the last spot in the pen, he's flashed too much over the years for them to just discard him, probably. Maples would have to suddenly have a lot better command than he had last year to beat him out of the gate, I think.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 15, 2018, 08:12:17 AM

Morrow
Cishek
Strop
Edwards
Grimm
Wilson
Duensing
Montgomery

Yeah Grimm is finally out of options (I still have no idea how he had them as late as last year, considering he made his debut in Texas in like 2012 or something) so I'd expect him to get the last spot in the pen, he's flashed too much over the years for them to just discard him, probably. Maples would have to suddenly have a lot better command than he had last year to beat him out of the gate, I think.

I'd think Maples will get the closer role in Iowa, so the Cubs could also get a feel for how he responds to high leverage situations. Grimm will get the 8 spot for now, but if the Cubs see any trades out there, they're going to try throwing him in.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 15, 2018, 11:27:47 AM

Morrow
Cishek
Strop
Edwards
Grimm
Wilson
Duensing
Montgomery

I'd think Maples will get the closer role in Iowa, so the Cubs could also get a feel for how he responds to high leverage situations. Grimm will get the 8 spot for now, but if the Cubs see any trades out there, they're going to try throwing him in.

Gotta see how Maples handles the pressure cooker of Triple-A baseball before bringing him up.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 15, 2018, 01:33:04 PM

Morrow
Cishek
Strop
Edwards
Grimm
Wilson
Duensing
Montgomery

Gotta see how Maples handles the pressure cooker of Triple-A baseball before bringing him up.

He has options, Grimm doesn't. If they trade Grimm, it's all moot. But Maples will be the biggest stud in the Iowa pen, might as well make him closer.
TIME TO POST!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 15, 2018, 01:38:04 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 15, 2018, 01:33:04 PM

Morrow
Cishek
Strop
Edwards
Grimm
Wilson
Duensing
Montgomery

He has options, Grimm doesn't. If they trade Grimm, it's all moot. But Maples will be the biggest stud in the Iowa pen, might as well make him closer.

I'm guessing he was more making fun of the idea that "handling high leverage situations" is some discernible skill and that skill can/should be honed in AAA.