News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Wheezer self-indulgence thread  ( 43,158 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Wheezer self-indulgence thread
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 12:09:05 AM »
This could be a long one. As a placeholder, a 1969 interview with John Fahey.

[Edit.—Desperate Man Blues seems like as good a place to start as any.]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 08:27:04 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 10, 2018, 11:28:57 PM
Melanie, Ring the Living Bell. Gather Me is one of the few pieces of vinyl that I have segregated in the keeper section. Tarkio is more than just "One Toke Over the Line," as well.

"Ring The Living Bell" actually hit the top 40, didn't it?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 11, 2018, 08:27:04 AM
Melanie, Ring the Living Bell. Gather Me is one of the few pieces of vinyl that I have segregated in the keeper section. Tarkio is more than just "One Toke Over the Line," as well.

The deuce you say.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 01:34:16 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 11, 2018, 10:40:18 AM

The deuce you say.

Number 31 in 1972.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 05:48:40 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 11, 2018, 01:34:16 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on May 11, 2018, 10:40:18 AM

The deuce you say.

Number 31 in 1972.

"I was fasting with a twenty seven day fast on water." Oh, dear. I'm trying to remember the name of the crank and his daughter who popularized this back then (not that it doesn't persist). It involves at least one criminal prosecution.

[Edit.—It was Herbert Shelton.]

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 01:46:52 AM »
BSL version of "Son of a Preacher Man." This has been pulled from Y—be repeatedly as a putative copyright violation, so get it while you can.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »
A live version of Bill Lee.

[Edit.—This isn't very high fidelity (I have a better one on cassette), but it's from the '86 Jonathan Richman show at Holstein's, which also featured the best version of UFO Man that I've heard yet: Walter Johnson.]

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2018, 12:21:16 AM »
Randy Newman on The Old Grey Whistle Test: Sail Away.

[Edit.—My Old Kentucky Home and I Think It's Going to Rain Today from a live radio broadcast.]

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 06:25:48 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 13, 2018, 12:21:16 AM

[Edit.—My Old Kentucky Home and I Think It's Going to Rain Today from a live radio broadcast.]

Meh.  He's no Randy Edelman.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 12:40:31 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 13, 2018, 06:25:48 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on May 13, 2018, 12:21:16 AM

Meh.  He's no Randy Edelman.

Very well, then. Don't  make me get out the Vachel Lindsay (which I also have on vinyl).

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2018, 01:29:30 AM »
Taj Mahal:

Colored Aristocracy (I used to play clawhammer; haven't ever seen another Hohner banjo)

Ain't Gwine to Whistle Dixie, live version

Fishin' Blues, live

[Edit.—The studio version of Fishin' Blues.]

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 08:36:33 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 15, 2018, 01:29:30 AM
Taj Mahal:

Colored Aristocracy (I used to play clawhammer; haven't ever seen another Hohner banjo)

Ain't Gwine to Whistle Dixie, live version

Fishin' Blues, live

[Edit.—The studio version of Fishin' Blues.]

This rocks.

As does this.
TIME TO POST!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 12:59:07 AM »
Ain't Done Nothing If You Ain't Been Called a Red. With Chinese subtitles. Beats me, but, hey, Faith Petric. This is the version from Rebel Voices, which is uneven but wraps with a terrific Power in the Union (not the Bragg shit).

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 16, 2018, 12:59:07 AM
Ain't Done Nothing If You Ain't Been Called a Red. With Chinese subtitles. Beats me, but, hey, Faith Petric. This is the version from Rebel Voices, which is uneven but wraps with a terrific Power in the Union (not the Bragg shit).

I had that compilation. My introduction to the song.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
Quote from: Bort on May 16, 2018, 08:12:11 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on May 16, 2018, 12:59:07 AM

I had that compilation. My introduction to the song.

Yah, it also hipped me to Utah Phillips: Pie in the Sky.