News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Wheezer self-indulgence thread  ( 43,157 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Wheezer self-indulgence thread
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2018, 12:39:26 AM »
Well, my evening at the cat shelter with the crazy lady jumping up and down yelling "fuck" was a bit tiresome, in the sense that I wasn't close enough to wave the big pair of scissors at her, so I'm going with some cheesy Poi Dog.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2018, 02:36:42 AM »
So, my octogenarian former neighbor (who is still banging along) was into both politics and the '70s folk scene ("Oh, I *knew* Stevie"). But she used to have a piano, and one time John Prine needed one, and kismet. Hence, Please Don't Bury Me.

[Edit.—The version from Souvenirs. I am undecided between the two.]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2018, 03:20:54 AM »
Jesus, you can't swing a cat without hitting Iris Fucking DeMent (more Prine).

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2018, 04:43:02 AM »
I can't sleep. Three Two versions of "Cecilia":

Local Natives

Paul Simon, Jimmy Fallon, and Stomp

I misplaced the third one.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2018, 12:18:16 AM »
OK, I can't resist: R.E.M.'s "Bandwagon" from Dead Letter Office set to some sort of blend of Christine and The Warriors. I have no idea what the movie is.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »
Before I move on to the Fugs, the first episode of Songwriters Circle, featuring Richard Thompson, Loudon Wainwright, and Suzanne Vega as something resembling  a trio.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2018, 12:54:28 AM »
Jesus, I had only watched part of it when I recognized it as a keeper, but Richard Thompson can really work that axe.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2018, 04:57:52 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 21, 2018, 12:54:28 AM
Jesus, I had only watched part of it when I recognized it as a keeper, but Richard Thompson can really work that axe.

And I take back my complaints about DeMent. Suzanne Vega is a serviceable backup singer, but she doesn't seem to have had a fresh idea since her bout with mild popularity.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2018, 12:39:46 AM »
OK, Fugs time:

The Ten Commandments, rambling live version

Wide Wide River (it's been too long since I've deployed this against persevering antivax gasbags)

Nothing from the memorial service

Perhaps more to come.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2018, 03:04:29 AM »
Is this getting stale? I can't sleep and was almost going for Don Ho.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2018, 08:42:28 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 22, 2018, 03:04:29 AM
Is this getting stale? I can't sleep and was almost going for Don Ho.

True story...in 2003 we were in Honolulu and wanted to swee Don Ho. His show had been sold out for weeks, we found out. We mentioned this to a guy who was giving us surf lessons that day (sidenote: surfing fucking owns) and he said to come swee him at his other jorb (selling timeshares) and he'd get us into the show. We figured it was just a ploy to get us in for his sales pitch, but damned if he didn't make a call to his "cousin" who worked at the club. He told us he'd need a few minutes, and asked us where we were going. We told him we were going over to this shopping center to look around and maybe get something to eat.

We figured that was the end of it, but all of the sudden about a half hour later, this guy shows up and tells us we have to hustle. He takes us through the kitchen like something out of Goodfellas, and tells us he needs $20. He hands us off to his "cousin", who then seats us in the club. So we've got two $75 seats for a total of $20. Then, they announce Don will be outside posing for pictures. At this point, we're so far ahead money-wise we decided to get our picture taken with Don Fucking Ho.

He does his show (singing "Tiny Bubbles" twice), then after the show he's signing autographs. So we get the picture taken before the show of us with D.F. Ho signed, as well as a CD titled "Don Ho Gold". We used an unsigned pic of us with Don as that year's Christmas card.

And that's why in our home we have both a signed photo and CD from Don Fucking Ho.

Tiny bubbles...in the wine...
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2018, 02:46:10 AM »
More Poi Dog, just because I like the contrast, and women playing the fiddle never go out of style: "Everybody's Tryin'," the Letterman version and the Fat Orrall with horns edition.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
OK, I'm shameless: Ooh La La. I'm trying to convince my imaginary ex to watch Rushmore.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2018, 04:59:54 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 31, 2018, 10:51:22 AM
OK, I'm shameless: Ooh La La. I'm trying to convince my imaginary ex to watch Rushmore.

You never need to apologise for Faces.  Having said that, though, it's a reflection of just how fucking good Steve Marriott was that even with a bona-fide legend like Stewart in his place, Faces were never the band that Small Faces were.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »
I suppose this should have occurred to me earlier: The Hey Der Milwaukee Polka.