News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 309,911 )

tjbrown

• Founder and President Emeritus, T.J. Brown's Powderpuff Posse
  • Fukakke Fan Club
The Office
« on: March 25, 2005, 09:14:34 AM »
Did anybody see it? Was it any good, or was it as disappointing as my wife said it was?
Nov. 2004-Oct. 2006

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 10:44:52 AM »
As someone who has never seen the British version- I found the parts I squeezed in in between NCAA games enjoyable.

forklift

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:26:45 AM »

From what I've read, the show starts hitting its stride about Week 3...

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 04:10:19 PM »
If NBC decides that the third time's a charm and they want to Americanize "Black Books," then I am ready and availible to play Bernard Black.

Yah mo B there!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 04:26:48 PM »
I watched it.  They actually planned the Illinois game to end at 8:30 just so I could watch it.  I think it's got potential to be very funny, but then I'm an unabashed fan of the original.  Ricky Gervais the other co-creator collaborated on the "teleplay" for the first episode, which pretty closely mirrored the first episode of the UK version of The Office.

Steve Carrell is great, and Rainn Wilson is perfect as the American version of Gareth. 

They've already got the awkward pauses down, and I'll keep watching.

Right now the only show with humans in it that is consistently funny is Arrested Development, with Scrubs coming the closest runner up.  We NEED The Office to be good, people!

forklift

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 06:24:20 PM »
Quote from: Andy on March 25, 2005, 04:26:48 PM

Right now the only show with humans in it that is consistently funny is Arrested Development, with Scrubs coming the closest runner up.  We NEED The Office to be good, people!

...and Fox cut down Arrested Development's season...

thomsirveaux

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
Sorta tangential to "The Office"...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 08:00:07 PM »
Quote from: forklift on March 25, 2005, 06:24:20 PM
Quote from: Andy on March 25, 2005, 04:26:48 PM

...and Fox cut down Arrested Development's season...

But FOX is getting a new quarterback and AD very possibly a solid ally in Peter Liguori. 

Here's an article about Liguori's ascencion, but note this particular snippet:

Liguori said the success of "Idol," and the creative pedigree of "24" and "Arrested Development," made it more exciting for him to accept the job.

AD and "exciting" in (presumably) the same breath??  It might not mean anything, but given his track record at FX, I look at it as a very good sign.  "Off the hook!" if you will.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 09:22:59 AM »
The former Fox president was also believed to be an Arrested Development fan, and she's the one who cut the order from 22 to 18, hoping to keep the show profitable (because it's one of Fox's most expensive shows because of all the location shooting they do and the size of the cast) and to keep it out of sweeps so that a bad May ratings run wouldn't doom it to cancellation.

Last night's show was the first filmed after the order was cut to 22 and has a joke about the order for new Bluth homes cut from 22 to 18 and solved by moving the company from the expensive top floor of a building to the second to the top floor.  They apparently re-wrote half the show just to make that joke.

One of the things that seems to all but guarantee AD's return is The Bernie Mac Show is kaput, with Bernie blowing up to Jerry Lewis size with his treatment for his dread disease.  And, with That '70s Show trying to stick around for another year without Ashton or Topher, Fox pretty much needs Arrested.

Chuck

• Alumnus, Class of '85 - T.J. Brown's Powderpuff Posse
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 10:20:09 AM »
Quote from: Andy on March 28, 2005, 09:22:59 AM
The Bernie Mac Show is kaput, with Bernie blowing up to Jerry Lewis size with his treatment for his dread disease.
Bernie's sick?  And not just from spitting on Poitier by working with Kutcher?

Mike D.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 10:58:18 AM »
Quote from: Chuck on March 28, 2005, 10:20:09 AM
Quote from: Andy on March 28, 2005, 09:22:59 AM
The Bernie Mac Show is kaput, with Bernie blowing up to Jerry Lewis size with his treatment for his dread disease.
Bernie's sick?  And not just from spitting on Poitier by working with Kutcher?

He's cursed for having the audacity--as a native South Sider and, ergo, Sox fan-- to sing "Take Me Out To the Ballgame" in the seventh inning of Game 6.
As refreshing as an advertising campaign that doesn't suck.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
His sick ass also belted out "Champs! Champs!  Champs!" instead of "home team," which people sometimes forget.

MDZ

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 02:21:39 AM »
here's a link to a pretty funny clip from the next episode.  Its about 10 minutes long but its worth it.
http://www.myspace.com/theoffice

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 09:53:16 PM »
I watched the show tonight, it was pretty funny.  I have class til 10, and my proffesor let us out early so he can go home and watch the show.  This show is quickly becoming my favorite show. 

CT

• President of the Joe Kmak Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 10:08:55 AM »
Quote from: air2300 on March 29, 2005, 09:53:16 PM
I watched the show tonight, it was pretty funny.  I have class til 10, and my proffesor let us out early so he can go home and watch the show.  This show is quickly becoming my favorite show. 

I caught last night's episode, and I thought it was hilarious.  I almost shot beer out my nose at the "collard people" line.
A day job? In an office? My worst nightmare come true!

forklift

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 07:29:43 PM »
Quote from: CT on March 30, 2005, 10:08:55 AM
Quote from: air2300 on March 29, 2005, 09:53:16 PM

I caught last night's episode, and I thought it was hilarious.  I almost shot beer out my nose at the "collard people" line.

That was pretty funny...there's hope for this show...