News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2018-2019 Wrongs-Righting Cubs Offseason BRYCE HARPER OR BUST Thread  ( 7,907 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
FIRE SOME

TRADE OTHERS

LAUNCH DANIEL MURPHY AND ADDISON RUSSELL DIRECTLY INTO THE SUN

SIGN GOOD PLAYERS

WIN THE WORLD SERIES

LET'S DO THIS
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2018-2019 Wrongs-Righting Cubs Offseason BRYCE HARPER OR BUST Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
Pick up the option on Hamels. Not so much on Kintzler.

If it's an either/or proposition, get Machado over Harper.

Maybe see how much Kimbrel is asking for.

Untouchable: Rizzo, Baez, Bryant, Contreras, Lester, Hendricks, Strop, Zobrist

Unmovable: Heyward, (probably) Chatwalk, Darvish

Don't hang up immediately if an offer comes in: Schwarber, Quintana, Happ, Edwards

Adios: Murphy, Wilson, Russell, all the bullpen rentals (I, for one, don't expect the Jesse Chavez lightning-in-a-bottle experience to continue)

Anybody else, all options are on the table.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 03, 2018, 08:55:03 AM

Don't hang up immediately if an offer comes in: Schwarber, Quintana, Happ, Edwards

Adios: Murphy, Wilson, Russell, all the bullpen rentals (I, for one, don't expect the Jesse Chavez lightning-in-a-bottle experience to continue)

Chatwalk is probably moveable because there's not *that* much money left on the deal that the Cubs won't pick a chunk of it up

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on October 03, 2018, 10:07:59 AM

Chatwalk is probably moveable because there's not *that* much money left on the deal that the Cubs won't pick a chunk of it up

Yeah.  The Cubs will make it clear to him that his services are no longer required, I guess, and should be able to find somebody who fancies a low-cost reclamation project.

Also, Zobrist is untouchable?  Don't get me wrong, I love the dude like a brother, but if somebody wants to take him off the Cubs' hands for the last year of his deal and have something worthwhile to give back, I'd at least listen.

Stupid fucking FORKGM.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 03, 2018, 10:18:05 AM
Quote from: Yeti on October 03, 2018, 10:07:59 AM

Yeah.  The Cubs will make it clear to him that his services are no longer required, I guess, and should be able to find somebody who fancies a low-cost reclamation project.

Also, Zobrist is untouchable?  Don't get me wrong, I love the dude like a brother, but if somebody wants to take him off the Cubs' hands for the last year of his deal and have something worthwhile to give back, I'd at least listen.

Stupid fucking FORKGM.

For what Zobrist provides, and the fact that 2019 is the dive year in his contract (only $12.5MM), yeah. At least until Happ can prove to be a reliable Zobrist 2.0.

Chatwalk is still at 2/25.5, so the Cubs would have to eat at least 15 of that to get someone willing to bite on him.

The guy I'm interested to see on the trade market is Montgomery. You know he wants to be a full-time starter, something the Cubs can't offer. He's got all three arbitration years left, so he's probably looking pretty damn enticing to someone.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
I'm in favor of either picking up Hamels' option or working out a decline-but-re-sign, and a short extension for Chavez. Both were truly excellent as Cubs and I think it's worth the modest investment to see if they have one last hurrah in them, invigorated by playing for a wire to wire contender.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 03, 2018, 01:50:05 PM
I'm in favor of either picking up Hamels' option or working out a decline-but-re-sign, and a short extension for Chavez. Both were truly excellent as Cubs and I think it's worth the modest investment to see if they have one last hurrah in them, invigorated by playing for a wire to wire contender.

I'm a little skeptical of a pitcher in his mid-30s continuing to rack up an FIP two runs below his career mark, and a WHIP .550 below his career mark. Pass on Chavez.
TIME TO POST!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
Man, Hamels is great and all but I want them to break the goddamn bank.

Harper, Corbin, and Kimbrel.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 03, 2018, 04:03:29 PM

Come on, Oleg.  If you are going to daydream go all the way...Roy Hobbs.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 05:18:25 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 03, 2018, 03:40:53 PM

I'm a little skeptical of a pitcher in his mid-30s continuing to rack up an FIP two runs below his career mark, and a WHIP .550 below his career mark. Pass on Chavez.

What if there's reason to believe it's the result of a mechanical adjustment and not just pure luck, as you seem to be implying?  And we're talking about, what, $5 million of the Rickettseseses' money here?  It's worth trying.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 03:03:18 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 03, 2018, 05:18:25 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 03, 2018, 03:40:53 PM

What if there's reason to believe it's the result of a mechanical adjustment and not just pure luck, as you seem to be implying?  And we're talking about, what, $5 million of the Rickettseseses' money here?  It's worth trying.

I'm on board with the "chuck $2MM at Chavez for another year".  It shouldn't take $5MM - he already said he's either pitching for the Cubs, or he's retiring.  I enjoy watching him pitch.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 09:28:18 AM »

Harper, Corbin, trade for DeGrom and Kimbrel.

If we're shooting for the moon...

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 01:58:14 PM »
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »

Don't forget Machado.
TIME TO POST!