News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Green Book  ( 3,200 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Green Book
« on: December 31, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
Possibly the best movie that I have ever seen.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Green Book
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 07:04:31 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 31, 2018, 01:26:46 PM
Possibly the best movie that I have ever seen.

I'm not going to go with possibly the best movie.
But it is absolutely wonderful.

Go
See
It.

Stew and flannj seal of approval.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 07:45:02 AM »
Don't get me wrong, this is a thoroughly enjoyable movie.  Mortensen is fantastic as he hams his way through every Italian American trope you can think of, and the whole thing is enormously heartwarming.  It's entertainment first and foremost, though, and although the film scratches the surface of some very serious issues it never intends to actually get its hands dirty.  There's no real menace from the racists - certainly not by comparison with "Mississippi Burning", for instance; homosexuality and alcoholism are picked up and then discarded without ever actually exploring either issue; and you never have any real doubt that it's all going to turn out nice.  The entire Tonk family enjoyed the hell out of it but it's some guys in a movie, nothing more, nothing less.  Oscar-worthy?  Meh.  Maybe?  Greatest film of all time?  Not on your Nelly.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 10:03:53 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2019, 07:45:02 AM
Greatest film of all time?  Not on your Nelly.

They can't all be "Mary Poppins".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:55:10 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 21, 2019, 10:03:53 AM
Quote from: Tonker on February 21, 2019, 07:45:02 AM
Greatest film of all time?  Not on your Nelly.

They can't all be "Mary Poppins".

Furthermore, what is my "Nelly"?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 08:37:47 AM »
Shows what I know, huh?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 25, 2019, 08:37:47 AM
Shows what I know, huh?

Yeah.  Me too.  Apparently the movie didn't come up to Spike Lee's standards. 

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 25, 2019, 02:03:24 PM
Shows what I know, huh?

You surprised by that?
And I really liked BlacKkKlansman, probably my favourite (hah) of the the best picture nominees that I've seen so far.

But acting like a baby is unfortunate.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Quote from: flannj on February 25, 2019, 02:27:54 PM
Shows what I know, huh?

You surprised by that?
And I really liked BlacKkKlansman, probably my favourite (hah) of the the best picture nominees that I've seen so far.

I haven't seen BlacKkKlansman, but I intend to do so, in spite of Spike Lee.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 25, 2019, 02:54:54 PM
Quote from: flannj on February 25, 2019, 02:27:54 PM
Shows what I know, huh?

You surprised by that?

I haven't seen BlacKkKlansman, but I intend to do so, in spite of Spike Lee.

I understand your dislike but the movie is really worth seeing.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
Shows what I know, huh?

Why would it? It was Viggo for best lead actor, Mahershala Ali for best supporting. That should tell you who the film is actually aimed at. At least BlacKkKlansman centers a black man in the story instead of having a cartoon stereotype of a white guy literally driving the whole movie. Oh and there’s also the whole part about Don Shirley’s family saying they weren’t even consulted and the supposed true story depicted in the film is full of shit. The guy who wrote it said he wasn’t even aware Shirley’s family existed, which is fucking embarrassing and should immediately render the movie’s factual content as suspect. The movie was aimed squarely at Academy voters who want to make a nice feelgood statement on race without concerning themselves with the uglier details.

What a surprise, that the son of the white guy made his racist but well meaning dad the hero when he wrote the screenplay. When he wasn’t busy thirst-tweeting our big dumb president in support of his latest racist rant, that is. If I were Spike Lee I’d probably be pissed off that “White People Solve Racism, Again” beat “An Actual Story About Black Lives” for anything and, just to add further insult, is being hailed by (white) critics as a stirring portrait of race, too. Maybe we’re not the best ones to judge Lee’s reaction!

Please tell me you didn’t love Crash...
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 12:29:58 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 25, 2019, 07:32:42 PM
Shows what I know, huh?

Why would it? It was Viggo for best lead actor, Mahershala Ali for best supporting. That should tell you who the film is actually aimed at. At least BlacKkKlansman centers a black man in the story instead of having a cartoon stereotype of a white guy literally driving the whole movie. Oh and there's also the whole part about Don Shirley's family saying they weren't even consulted and the supposed true story depicted in the film is full of shit. The guy who wrote it said he wasn't even aware Shirley's family existed, which is fucking embarrassing and should immediately render the movie's factual content as suspect. The movie was aimed squarely at Academy voters who want to make a nice feelgood statement on race without concerning themselves with the uglier details.

What a surprise, that the son of the white guy made his racist but well meaning dad the hero when he wrote the screenplay. When he wasn't busy thirst-tweeting our big dumb president in support of his latest racist rant, that is. If I were Spike Lee I'd probably be pissed off that "White People Solve Racism, Again" beat "An Actual Story About Black Lives" for anything and, just to add further insult, is being hailed by (white) critics as a stirring portrait of race, too. Maybe we're not the best ones to judge Lee's reaction!

Please tell me you didn't love Crash...

So, you didn't like the movie?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 08:33:33 AM »
Shows what I know, huh?

Why would it? It was Viggo for best lead actor, Mahershala Ali for best supporting. That should tell you who the film is actually aimed at. At least BlacKkKlansman centers a black man in the story instead of having a cartoon stereotype of a white guy literally driving the whole movie. Oh and there's also the whole part about Don Shirley's family saying they weren't even consulted and the supposed true story depicted in the film is full of shit. The guy who wrote it said he wasn't even aware Shirley's family existed, which is fucking embarrassing and should immediately render the movie's factual content as suspect. The movie was aimed squarely at Academy voters who want to make a nice feelgood statement on race without concerning themselves with the uglier details.

What a surprise, that the son of the white guy made his racist but well meaning dad the hero when he wrote the screenplay. When he wasn't busy thirst-tweeting our big dumb president in support of his latest racist rant, that is. If I were Spike Lee I'd probably be pissed off that "White People Solve Racism, Again" beat "An Actual Story About Black Lives" for anything and, just to add further insult, is being hailed by (white) critics as a stirring portrait of race, too. Maybe we're not the best ones to judge Lee's reaction!

Geez, man...why don't you relax, pour yourself a drink, and watch a feel-good movie like "The Help"?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on February 26, 2019, 08:33:33 AM
Shows what I know, huh?

Geez, man...why don't you relax, pour yourself a drink, and watch a feel-good movie like "The Help"?

I laughed.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?