News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: How We Learned to Stop Worrying And Love The Cubs (again): Your 2019 Thread  ( 11,215 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Enough grab-assing....pitchers and catchers report in less than a month.  Let's light this candle.

Am I crazy to wonder why nobody seems to suggest Ian Happ at second base everyday?  I know he might be bad—but we don't really know for sure because he's hardly played it, even thought that was the position at which he was drafted.  Hell, he's probably played third more than second.  We know he's an adventure in the outfield, but this kid's bat can play—I remain a stout fan of his.  And in any event, he cannot be worse than the homophobic statue who took 11 seconds just to make the fucking pivot on the relay on 6(and 5)-4-3 DP's.  Zobrist is better at second but Zobrist is also better in RF than Happ would be if Heyward is in center vs. a RHP.

Regardless of whether Russell comes back, if Happ can play a modest second base, that would seem to solve a few problems.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
I've always been a big fan of Happ. Until his prolonged hitting struggles this past season, his trajectory was similar to Schwarber. There's nothing wrong with having a switch-hitting second baseman who can hit with power. Move Javy to SS, fire Russell into the sun, and the team's ready to go.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
2019 Cubs: Harper or GTFO
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 23, 2019, 11:41:14 AM

Bryce Harper ain't walking through that door, homes.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on January 23, 2019, 11:55:07 AM

Then they might have to earn my attention this year thanks to this steady diet of Ricketts bullshit we've been fed.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 23, 2019, 01:02:21 PM

Then they might have to earn my attention this year thanks to this steady diet of Ricketts bullshit we've been fed.

Lived through a thousand years of bullshit and shitty teams and "We don't have enough money for Bryce Harper" is the final straw?
I don't get this at all.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
This team is either going to pull their shit together and win the division in a runaway, or be a shitshow of epic proportions. Either way, I'm here for it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on January 23, 2019, 01:18:43 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 23, 2019, 01:02:21 PM

Lived through a thousand years of bullshit and shitty teams and "We don't have enough money for Bryce Harper" is the final straw?
I don't get this at all.

If you think "steady diet of Ricketts bullshit" meant "didn't sign Bryce" and nothing else, then I can't help you.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on January 23, 2019, 09:18:22 AM
Enough grab-assing....pitchers and catchers report in less than a month.  Let’s light this candle.

Am I crazy to wonder why nobody seems to suggest Ian Happ at second base everyday?  I know he might be bad—but we don’t really know for sure because he’s hardly played it, even thought that was the position at which he was drafted.  Hell, he’s probably played third more than second.  We know he’s an adventure in the outfield, but this kid’s bat can play—I remain a stout fan of his.  And in any event, he cannot be worse than the homophobic statue who took 11 seconds just to make the fucking pivot on the relay on 6(and 5)-4-3 DP’s.  Zobrist is better at second but Zobrist is also better in RF than Happ would be if Heyward is in center vs. a RHP.

Regardless of whether Russell comes back, if Happ can play a modest second base, that would seem to solve a few problems.

Assuming no further additions:

Lineup

2B Zobrist
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
SS Baez
C   Contreras
LF  Schwarber
CF Happ
RF Heyward

Bench

Descalso
Caratini
Bote
Almora

Rotation

Lester
Hendricks
Quintana
Darvish
Hamels

Bullpen (guh)

Strop
Cishek
Edwards
Montgomery
Kintzler
Duensing
Chatwood
Iowa grabbag (Mills/Maples/Norwood/GOAT) until Morrow is ready

• Swap out Happ & Heyward for Bote & Almora against LHP.
  • I've got Zobrist as my primary 2B but I've got a bad feeling Joe is going to have Descalso there more often than not.
  • Assuming Russell isn't fired into the sun, and they stick with 12 position players, it would appear that Bote will be the odd man out when Russell's suspension ends.
  • We all know that bullpens are high variance from year to year but this one looks pretty shitty right now. Unless Edward somehow, someway figures his shit out.
  • If any of the Iowa arms turn out to be worth a damn to the point where they're worth keeping in the pen once Morrow is back (Mills?), I really don't see how they keep Chatwood around. Total waste of a roster space unless Tommy Hottovy is a wizard.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I still want to see Schwarber play 2nd base.

But yeah, Happ at 2nd is fine.
And Harper is not going to happen.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on January 23, 2019, 01:33:53 PM
Enough grab-assing....pitchers and catchers report in less than a month.  Let's light this candle.

Am I crazy to wonder why nobody seems to suggest Ian Happ at second base everyday?  I know he might be bad—but we don't really know for sure because he's hardly played it, even thought that was the position at which he was drafted.  Hell, he's probably played third more than second.  We know he's an adventure in the outfield, but this kid's bat can play—I remain a stout fan of his.  And in any event, he cannot be worse than the homophobic statue who took 11 seconds just to make the fucking pivot on the relay on 6(and 5)-4-3 DP's.  Zobrist is better at second but Zobrist is also better in RF than Happ would be if Heyward is in center vs. a RHP.

Lineup

2B Zobrist
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
SS Baez
C   Contreras
LF  Schwarber
CF Happ
RF Heyward

Bench

Descalso
Caratini
Bote
Almora

Rotation

Lester
Hendricks
Quintana
Darvish
Hamels

Bullpen (guh)

Strop
Cishek
Edwards
Montgomery
Kintzler
Duensing
Chatwood

• I've got Zobrist as my primary 2B but I've got a bad feeling Joe is going to have Descalso there more often than not.
  • Assuming Russell isn't fired into the sun, and they stick with 12 position players, it would appear that Bote will be the odd man out when Russell's suspension ends.
  • We all know that bullpens are high variance from year to year but this one looks pretty shitty right now. Unless Edward somehow, someway figures his shit out.
  • If any of the Iowa arms turn out to be worth a damn to the point where they're worth keeping in the pen once Morrow is back (Mills?), I really don't see how they keep Chatwood around. Total waste of a roster space unless Tommy Hottovy is a wizard.
You put Happ at Center and Almora on the bench???
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CBStew on January 23, 2019, 03:17:38 PM

Lineup

2B Zobrist
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
SS Baez
C   Contreras
LF  Schwarber
CF Happ
RF Heyward

Bench

Descalso
Caratini
Bote
Almora

Rotation

Lester
Hendricks
Quintana
Darvish
Hamels

Bullpen (guh)

Strop
Cishek
Edwards
Montgomery
Kintzler
Duensing
Chatwood

You put Happ at Center and Almora on the bench???

We've got a 600 plate appearance sample size now on Albert hitting righties, and it ain't good. He's got a .698 OPS against RHP and an .816 OPS against lefties.

Happ is basically his mirror image with .698 against LHP and .839 against RHP.

Until Albert shows that he can hit righties and deserves to be an every day player, it sets up as a pretty ideal platoon situation *

* Reserving the right to change my opinion after Happ does multiple 360's while chasing a routine fly ball on Opening Day.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I wouldn't mind seeing Heyward in CF with Happ at 2B and Zo in RF but that may be splitting hairs.

The defense has been the saving grace for the rotation for a few years and this year, well, I'm not as confident.  I think if the defense regresses, it may be a long year for the staff.

But, this ain't the time for this bullshit.

The Cubs won 95 games last year and I would fully expect half the lineup to be even better than they were last year.

Give me a bounce back from Kintzler and growth from Edwards and we have ourselves a parade to attend. LET'S GO!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Lineup

2B Zobrist
3B Bryant
1B Rizzo
SS Baez
C   Contreras
LF  Schwarber
CF Happ
RF Heyward

Bench

Descalso
Caratini
Bote
Almora

Rotation

Lester
Hendricks
Quintana
Darvish
Hamels

Bullpen (guh)

Strop
Cishek
Edwards
Montgomery
Kintzler
Duensing
Chatwood

Perhaps I'm being unduly negative, but that team is not exactly screaming "CHAMMENSHIP", is it?  On paper you're a fair distance behind Houston, Boston, LA and the Yanks, I reckon.  I'd be interested to see the WAR predictions for those 25 men vs. the expected rosters of the other teams I mentioned.  Not interested enough to go and look it up, mind you.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on January 24, 2019, 10:09:35 AM

Perhaps I'm being unduly negative, but that team is not exactly screaming "CHAMMENSHIP", is it?  On paper you're a fair distance behind Houston, Boston, LA and the Yanks, I reckon.  I'd be interested to see the WAR predictions for those 25 men vs. the expected rosters of the other teams I mentioned.  Not interested enough to go and look it up, mind you.

Here are Fangraphs' projections. They don't seem very convinced on Milwaukee replicating last year's performance. But they like the Cubs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16