News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Peter King's MMQB  ( 67,235 )

Al Yellon

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Peter King's MMQB
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2008, 12:29:41 PM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on May 05, 2008, 09:29:22 AM
Quote from: CT II on May 05, 2008, 09:28:40 AM
I don't know about Peter King, but this JD character does yeoman's work.

It's time to hand him a weekly column. With a link and everything.

JD's MMBBQ of Peter King's MMQB

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »
Quote from: ChuckDickens on May 05, 2008, 12:29:41 PM

SSMBBQ?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2008, 05:49:36 AM »
Quote from: ~Apex on May 05, 2008, 10:46:30 PM
Quote from: ChuckDickens on May 05, 2008, 12:29:41 PM

SSMBBQ?

We can set up a desk at Smoque for him.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »
MM-BUMP-BQ

I'm going to ruin my morning so others don't have to.  Pete's writing about a black guy today, which is nice, I suppose.  I think did the interview over the phone, though, because, as we learned last week, black people can be crazy, y'all.  It's about Tomlin doing commencement speeches or something.  The thing was pretty boring, so I just skimmed it(OK, skimming's what I do to all his articles, but I don't get paid enough to read all of his crap).  Howevah, there were two things that caught my eye:

QuoteIn a month, I'll have the same commencement assignment at my alma, Ohio University.

I get it right off the bat.  This whole Mike Tomlin interview thing was just a way for Pete to tell us he was speaking at a college that he graduated from.  Pete's clever that way.  And, if my skimming skills were better(or worse), then I would've missed it completely. 

Quote"I did the smart thing at my second job, at Memphis,'' he said. "I had the same kind of shaky living conditions, so I talked them out of coming. When I got to Arkansas State [two years later], I bought a three-bedroom, two-bath home in a cul-de-sac. They liked that.''

Me and Mike Tomlin were at A-State at the same time.  We also left about the same time.  He left from there and went to the University of Cincinatti.  I dropped out of there and went to Army.  Army's a step up above Cincinatti, right?  Tomlin might've got me in the end, though, but at least I don't have to talk to Pete King.
Pete had 3 quotes of the week, and they all were equally un-interesting.  I did like this sentence:

QuoteImagine Holt, with 1,000 catches, migrating to Carolina for two final NFL seasons.

That would be impossible for me.  I'm still imagining a skinny black kid at a small college in 2004. 

Pete's travel story was ridiculous.  There's too much stuff in there just begging to commented on.  Here's the gist:  some guy on a plane that wasn't a sportswriter was being annoying with his luggage and some other old guy was a jerk to that guy and the whole plane felt empathy for the person having to sit beside Pete King and smell his coffee farts for 3 hours.  The in-flight movie was Bucket List, though, and I have absolutely no idea why Pete decided to share that.
Sometimes I wonder what bothers Pete.  Then I wonder what bothers Roger Goodell.  Then I wonder what would bother Pete if he were Roger Goodell.  Now I know.
QuoteAnd it would bother me if I were Roger Goodell that Bill Belichick never told him about taping offensive signals, if indeed Belichick didn't, and we don't know if he did or didn't.

What the crap does that sentence even mean? 

And Pete still doesn't like Rex Grossman.  He gets his dig in while pondering what Bears fans might think about Ced Benson.
QuoteI think, if I were a Bears fan, I'd be thinking the Cedric Benson boating case in Texas is one great distraction. Too much coverage for a story about a guy who won't be on the team a year from now, about a guy who's been as big a disappointment as Rex Grossman. Bigger, maybe.

The Bears fans that I know are too busy giggling over a Hot Cop noticing a dangerous bulge in some guy's front left pocket. 

In Titans news:
QuoteI think Jevon Kearse might be writing the Comeback Player of the Year story in Tennessee.

As long as it's not Pete King writing it, then I'm fine with it.

Pete got an email from that Army dude.  Pete, like Apex, isn't a big fan of the Office right now.  Pete did one of those one-line things where he talks to one person and I guess it's kind of a shout-out or something.  Pete likes food, coffee, and sightseeing in Washington, DC.  He doesn't know anyone that went to Vietnam and he ended the stinker with this:
QuoteA belated Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. All you sons and daughters, if you haven't yet, please read Thomas Friedman's column in Sunday's New York Times. Great lessons in there for us all.

I don't know who he's talking to.  I'm betting the only mom that reads his crap is his own.  If I knew my mom read this crap, then I'd put her on hugs probation.  Then I'd kick her in the left shin, but I'd make it seem like an accident.  She'd get the picture.  Pete King sucks.  I apologize if you read this far because this post kinda sucked, too.

Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2008, 08:50:59 AM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 12, 2008, 08:39:31 AM
I apologize if you read this far because this post kinda sucked, too.

I think I think you couldn't be more wrong about this. So a guy who was the #4 pick in the draft and will be lucky to have Ron Dayne's career MIGHT BE a bigger disappointment than the guy who quarterbacked the Bears to their first Super Bowl in 20 years?

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »
Quote from: RV on May 12, 2008, 08:50:59 AM

I think I think you couldn't be more wrong about this. So a guy who was the #4 pick in the draft and will be lucky to have Ron Dayne's career MIGHT BE a bigger disappointment than the guy who quarterbacked the Bears to their first Super Bowl in 20 years?

I'm sure if Pter King actually polled Bears fans and football writers that have actually followed the Bears (or simply picked up a media guide), he'd be shocked that you could find 15 first-round Bear draft picks in the past 20 years who have been more disappointing than Rex:

Ced Benson
Brad Muster
Michael Haynes
Marc Colombo
John Thierry
Alonzo Spellman
David Terrell
Stan Thomas
Rashaan Salaam
Cade McNown
Curtis Enis
Walt Harris
Curtis Conway
Wendell Davis
Rick Mirer (Essentially the No. 1 pick in 1997)

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
Since we're ripping on bad sportswriters here, I found a gem in Rosenbloom's "blog":

QuoteRyne Sandberg was suspended for the second time in two years as manager of the Peoria Chiefs. Raise your hand if you think the Cubs would've won something important if he had done that as a player.

So, do I think that the Cubs would have won more if Ryno was suspended more often? No, I certainly don't think that. I don't think that makes sense in any universe.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on May 13, 2008, 10:55:41 AM
Since we're ripping on bad sportswriters here, I found a gem in Rosenbloom's "blog":

QuoteRyne Sandberg was suspended for the second time in two years as manager of the Peoria Chiefs. Raise your hand if you think the Cubs would've won something important if he had done that as a player.

So, do I think that the Cubs would have won more if Ryno was suspended more often? No, I certainly don't think that. I don't think that makes sense in any universe.

If he'd have knocked over a bank and gone to prison, the Cubs would have won ten World Series titles.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »
Quote from: TJ on May 12, 2008, 09:01:33 AM

I'm sure if Pter King actually polled Bears fans and football writers that have actually followed the Bears (or simply picked up a media guide), he'd be shocked that you could find 15 first-round Bear draft picks in the past 20 years who have been more disappointing than Rex:

Ced Benson
Brad Muster
Michael Haynes
Marc Colombo
John Thierry
Alonzo Spellman
David Terrell
Stan Thomas
Rashaan Salaam
Cade McNown
Curtis Enis
Walt Harris
Curtis Conway
Wendell Davis

Brad Muster?!?  Say it ain't so, TJ, say it ain't so...
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:16 AM »
Quote from: CT II on May 13, 2008, 11:31:42 AM

Ced Benson
Brad Muster
Michael Haynes
Marc Colombo
John Thierry
Alonzo Spellman
David Terrell
Stan Thomas
Rashaan Salaam
Cade McNown
Curtis Enis
Walt Harris
Curtis Conway
Wendell Davis

Can I start the list of second rd busts with Fred Washington? What the  fuck did that guy ever do in a Bears uniform?
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on May 13, 2008, 11:51:16 AM

Ced Benson
Brad Muster
Michael Haynes
Marc Colombo
John Thierry
Alonzo Spellman
David Terrell
Stan Thomas
Rashaan Salaam
Cade McNown
Curtis Enis
Walt Harris
Curtis Conway
Wendell Davis

Can I start the list of second rd busts with Fred Washington? What the  fuck did that guy ever do in a Bears uniform?

He forgot that football is a collision sport.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »

Ced Benson
Brad Muster
Michael Haynes
Marc Colombo
John Thierry
Alonzo Spellman
David Terrell
Stan Thomas
Rashaan Salaam
Cade McNown
Curtis Enis
Walt Harris
Curtis Conway
Wendell Davis

First guy to suffer two simultaneous decapitations.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »

Ced Benson
Brad Muster
Michael Haynes
Marc Colombo
John Thierry
Alonzo Spellman
David Terrell
Stan Thomas
Rashaan Salaam
Cade McNown
Curtis Enis
Walt Harris
Curtis Conway
Wendell Davis

I'm pretty sure I know who BC would add to the list.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »

The Bears, or any other team in the NFL, would have some tough sledding to out-dumbass Gang Green as far as draft picks go.

Remember the year they cut the entire draft class? The year they took Jeff Lagemann with the #7 pick, prompting Kiper to say "The Jets have no idea what the draft is for"?

Steak balls.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
Quote from: PTanner on May 13, 2008, 01:11:56 PM

The Bears, or any other team in the NFL, would have some tough sledding to out-dumbass Gang Green as far as draft picks go.

Remember the year they cut the entire draft class? The year they took Jeff Lagemann with the #7 pick, prompting Kiper to say "The Jets have no idea what the draft is for"?

Steak balls.

Matt Millen is giving Gang Green quite a run for their money.