News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Phil Rogers' time machine  ( 28,420 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Phil Rogers' time machine
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
Quote from: Captain Beef Juice on February 26, 2010, 02:10:58 PM
Quote from: Shooter on February 26, 2010, 01:57:48 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on April 13, 2009, 11:52:15 AM
That must mean ole Phil has given up on the Astros sneak attack.

That will just make it all the sneakier.

Shooter!  You're alive!

Great desipio experience, eh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2010, 10:25:24 AM »
Phil slams Kenny Williams for trading for Peavy. I'm too lazy to find Phil Rogers' reaction to the trade last summer, but I know those are out there:

QuoteWas Jake Peavy just another grab for attention by Ken Williams?

Williams' need to put his stamp on the White Sox roster has been evident throughout his decade as the general manager, and the addition of Peavy is just another example.

Reader Phil Trager offered some good thoughts on Williams' heavy-handed style in the GM job in a recent e-mail, charting the tendency all the way back to the trade of Aaron Rowand after the 2005 World Series. The thought then was that Rowand was expendable because the Sox had a surplus of center field prospects, led by Brian Anderson (now trying to make it as a pitcher in the Royals' organization).

"Usually while fishing, an angler does not leave fish to find fish,'' Trager writes. "The first rule of baseball then may be not to get rid of a good player to take a chance on an unproven player.''
Williams certainly has done that more than a few times. He's also habitually raided his farm system to make splashy acquisitions, perhaps the biggest of those being the deal for Peavy at the trading deadline last July.

One of the reasons that was such a shocking move was that the White Sox were already in fairly decent shape in regards to starting pitching. They had just gone to the 2008 playoffs behind a cast including Mark Buehrle, John Danks, Gavin Floyd and Clayton Richard, and had starting pitchers coming, most notably Daniel Hudson.

But Williams decided that Peavy was a must-have commodity, ignoring a few facts in picking him up. The first was that Peavy was on the disabled list at the time, not taking regular turns in the Padres' rotation. The second was that he had built his statistics based in Petco Park and the NL West, the best place in the majors for a pitcher. The third was that U.S. Cellular Field is a hitter's park, an especially tough place for any pitcher to dominate.

Williams also concluded that with a corps of Peavy, Buehrle, Danks and Floyd the White Sox would be able to win 90-plus games and compete against the best teams in the American League. This looks like a poorly played hand, in part because the salaries of Peavy and newly acquired center fielder Alex Rios took away his off-season flexibility to complete the roster. He wound up trading for the relatively affordable guys he could get (Juan Pierre and Mark Teahen) rather than pursuing the impact hitter or two that was needed.

Peavy may eventually get himself in a groove, although the six runs in six innings against the Angels on Thursday night was a step backward. But will it matter that the Sox have Peavy? It doesn't appear they have a 25-man roster to compete against the Twins and Tigers. But Williams created a ton of buzz with the Peavy trade, allowing himself to masquerade as a master deal maker. The Padres are glad he did, but it's tough to find any benefits for the White Sox.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
Phil wants everyone to watch the proof of his genius unfold.  The pieces are falling into place ... JUST LIKE HE PREDICTED AND PREDICTED AND PREDICTED AND PREDICTED.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
I'm sure Indolent Reader and Sox fans would agree with Phil - definitely a good thing that Beckham didn't hit for half the year.

QuoteThis has been a huge developmental year for Gordon Beckham. It's far better for him to struggle and figure it out than if had just continued to hit, and his consistent success in the second half is proof that Beckham has turned a corner and should never again be in a funk like the one he was in at the start of the season.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 26, 2010, 12:44:57 PM
I'm sure Indolent Reader and Sox fans would agree with Phil - definitely a good thing that Beckham didn't hit for half the year.

QuoteThis has been a huge developmental year for Gordon Beckham. It's far better for him to struggle and figure it out than if had just continued to hit, and his consistent success in the second half is proof that Beckham has turned a corner and should never again be in a funk like the one he was in at the start of the season.

That's colossally stupid, even for Maude.  Wow.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »

That's why I'm ok with Z struggling early this year. Maude knows what's up

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 26, 2010, 12:45:51 PM

You don't get it. Now Beckham will never suck to start out a season ever again.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 26, 2010, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: PANK! on August 26, 2010, 12:45:51 PM

You don't get it. Now Beckham will never suck to start out a season ever again.

Dumb.  Just dumb. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2010, 01:40:13 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 26, 2010, 12:57:24 PM

That's why I'm ok with Z struggling early this year. Maude knows what's up

Fuck. The Cubs traded Fontenot as he was on the cusp of his inevitable run of 80 HR seasons.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »
Phil is a talentless hack - but he's a productive talentless hack.

QuoteSpeaking of Granderson, I still wish the Cubs had found a way to trade for him last winter -- but I can see why Hendry considered Starlin Castro far too high of a price to pay. Granderson's all-around play remains a pleasure to watch. He hit only .247 in his first season with the Yankees, which he considered a disappointment, but it was a productive .247 (OPS: 792) and his work with hitting coach Kevin Long helped him become more of a factor against left-handed pitchers (.234/.646 OPS, compared to .253/.866 against right-handed pitchers).

Granderson is a player who can't really be measured by the raw numbers. He contributes with his range in center fielder and his ability to run bases, along with amazing leadership in the clubhouse. I once wrote that he should be the next commissioner of baseball, and he hasn't done anything since to make me regret it.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:10 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2010, 08:28:33 AM

QuoteSpeaking of Granderson, I still wish the Cubs had found a way to trade for him last winter -- but I can see why Hendry considered Starlin Castro far too high of a price to pay. Granderson's all-around play remains a pleasure to watch. He hit only .247 in his first season with the Yankees, which he considered a disappointment, but it was a productive .247 (OPS: 792) and his work with hitting coach Kevin Long helped him become more of a factor against left-handed pitchers (.234/.646 OPS, compared to .253/.866 against right-handed pitchers).

Granderson is a player who can't really be measured by the raw numbers. He contributes with his range in center fielder and his ability to run bases, along with amazing leadership in the clubhouse. I once wrote that he should be the next commissioner of baseball, and he hasn't done anything since to make me regret it.

I know I'm stupid for even asking since it's Phil Rogers, but what could Granderson do to make Rogers regret making that idiotic statement?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »

Son of a bitch. He just can't help himself and say, "Granderson had a mediocre season offensively but remains an excellent defensive centerfielder and a threat to steal bases. He's also a great guy, beloved by teammates and I think he'd be a great baseball executive some day."

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2010, 09:15:47 AM »

Sounds like a variation on Yellon's theory of Not the Best Player, but the Right Player®

Also, a .646 OPS is only "more of a factor" in the same sense that getting punched in the taint five times is better than getting punched in the taint six times.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2010, 11:32:25 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2010, 09:15:47 AM

Sounds like a variation on Yellon's theory of Not the Best Player, but the Right Player®Also, a .646 OPS is only "more of a factor" in the same sense that getting punched in the taint five times is better than getting punched in the taint six times.

I see that on a t-shirt* worn by Visor Guy in front of the foul pole within a couple years.

*Proceeds go to to Darwin Barney's battle for anal fistula
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2010, 11:32:25 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2010, 09:15:47 AM

Sounds like a variation on Yellon's theory of Not the Best Player, but the Right Player®Also, a .646 OPS is only "more of a factor" in the same sense that getting punched in the taint five times is better than getting punched in the taint six times.

I see that on a t-shirt* worn by Visor Guy in front of the foul pole within a couple years.

*Proceeds go to to Darwin Barney's battle for anal fistula

Why is Darwin Barney battling FOR anal fistulas? Has he been bought out by Big Fistula?