News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Why Joe Morgan should be fired(again)  ( 30,348 )

Lukester

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
Re: Why Joe Morgan should be fired(again)
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2009, 07:19:32 AM »
One of he only reasons I watched the game last night on ESPN was that I wanted to see if Pinella was going to go off on Phillips for the idiotic comments he made about the handling of Fukudome last year.    Hell,  I was a little surprised that Pinella even did the dugout interview and didn't offer up Trammel or Rothschild to do it.    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/03/02/lou-piniella-does-not-like-steve-phillips/
What a letdown.   I figured Pinella was going to be so amped up from the bullpen shitting the bed the entire weekend,  he would have told Phillips on the air to suck a mile of cock and balls. 

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
Was I the only one who was mystified by Jon Miller, Steve Phillips and Joe Morgan trying to explain OPS? None were really sold on the stat. Morgan thinks the stat could be misleading because you could have "unbalanced" OPS's (i.e., guys who get on base all the time, but really suck because they don't have that kind of power or guys who hit a lot of extra base hits but suck because they don't have the world's best OBA).

But I think the final analysis from Joe Morgan was that it was a good stat because the best player in the NL led the league in OPS, so therefore it "validates" the stat.  I can't wait until he gets to wrap his head around GRIT one day.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00:16 AM »
You guys pay waaayyy too much attention to the announcers.

Just do what I do and look at the pretty pictures.

Oh, and Joe Morgan is dumber than a bag of hammers.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2009, 09:03:15 AM »
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on April 13, 2009, 09:00:16 AM
You guys pay waaayyy too much attention to the announcers.

Just do what I do and look at the pretty pictures.

Oh, and Joe Morgan is dumber than a bag of hammers.

ESPN was my only HD feed last night.  I don't really mind Phillips as I kind of drown him out, but Morgan's pompousness is just so damn ridiculous that you just want to jump through your TV box machine and strangle him until his brain matter oozes from his ears.  Good Gord, he really is worthless.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
Quote from: ~Apex on April 12, 2009, 11:53:39 PM
The showstopper was when Joe announced that the greatest thing about Prince's long, loud out was the fact that all the runners tagged up. Really? I thought I saw a dude track a ball to the fence, find the barrier and then time his leap to perfection to make a catch we'll be seeing on highlight reels until kingdom come. But those runners tagging up, that was incredible.

And that the only thing Fielder cared about following that catch was making sure the baserunners tagged up.. awesome.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 13, 2009, 08:52:31 AM
Was I the only one who was mystified by Jon Miller, Steve Phillips and Joe Morgan trying to explain OPS? None were really sold on the stat. Morgan thinks the stat could be misleading because you could have "unbalanced" OPS's (i.e., guys who get on base all the time, but really suck because they don't have that kind of power or guys who hit a lot of extra base hits but suck because they don't have the world's best OBA).

But I think the final analysis from Joe Morgan was that it was a good stat because the best player in the NL led the league in OPS, so therefore it "validates" the stat.  I can't wait until he gets to wrap his head around GRIT one day.

Not only that - but how many times did he mention 100 RBI like it was the real hallmark of a great player? After Reed's catch he said something like if Prince gets stuck on 96 RBI to end the season he won't be so happy.

Huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »

Morgan actually has a point, since OBP is more valuable than SLG, although if a guy has a 1.000 OPS, it doesn't matter how it's divided out, he's good.  Of course, this problem has already been addressed with better stats like EQA, which Morgan would know if he ever did any research for his job.  Even better, EQA is weighted exactly like batting average, so it makes sense to any baseball fan.  Even ones as dumb as Joe Morgan.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2009, 10:04:41 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 13, 2009, 09:49:05 AM

Morgan actually has a point, since OBP is more valuable than SLG, although if a guy has a 1.000 OPS, it doesn't matter how it's divided out, he's good.  Of course, this problem has already been addressed with better stats like EQA, which Morgan would know if he ever did any research for his job.  Even better, EQA is weighted exactly like batting average, so it makes sense to any baseball fan.  Even ones as dumb as Joe Morgan.

But Morgan's problem was mainly with singles hitters (and guys who walk a lot) getting inflated OPS.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 13, 2009, 10:04:41 AM
Quote from: Eli on April 13, 2009, 09:49:05 AM

But Morgan's problem was mainly with singles hitters (and guys who walk a lot) getting inflated OPS.

Gotcha. I tried to give Joe a little credit and even that was wrong.  Never again.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
I am sure the reason ESPN added Steve Phillips to the booth was to bring in someone who sounded dumber than Morgan.  How that guy had a job as GM is amazing to me.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
I had the TV muted and listened to Bub Uecker on teh internets.

I win.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

HumbleJerry

• Wallet Inspector
  • Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on April 13, 2009, 09:36:09 AM

Not only that - but how many times did he mention 100 RBI like it was the real hallmark of a great player? After Reed's catch he said something like if Prince gets stuck on 96 RBI to end the season he won't be so happy.

Huh?

RBI's for Prince if Johnson doesn't make the catch = 4
RBI's for Prince since Johnson made a sploogetastic catch = 1

So apparently Joe thinks he'd be happy with 99 RBI then.  Math is not your friend Joe.  God I fucking hate him with the white hot fire of a thousand suns.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »
The showstopper was when Joe announced that the greatest thing about Prince's long, loud out was the fact that all the runners tagged up. Really? I thought I saw a dude track a ball to the fence, find the barrier and then time his leap to perfection to make a catch we'll be seeing on highlight reels until kingdom come. But those runners tagging up, that was incredible.

Johnson's catch was only the THIRD most amazing part of that play.

1.  The runners tagging up.
2.  Prince Fielder tipping his helmet to Reed Johnson.
3.  Johnson's catch.
Hire Jim Essian!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2009, 12:17:05 PM »

Tagging up is one of the highlights of any baseball game.  That's why I go to the ballpark.  Got to see those runners tagging up.  Can't get enough of that.  Hoo boy.  Did you see that guy tag up?  Amazing.  Can I see the replay?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »
Arguably the GREATEST photo in history.