News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Marquis de suc defenestration thread  ( 56,276 )

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Marquis de suc defenestration thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2007, 09:57:19 PM »
Quote from: Down In Front on July 26, 2007, 09:02:41 PM
According to Santo, Cedeno had NO IDEA what he was doing, as he came in for the SAC but didn't keep an eye on Molina so he could backtrack to the bag.

I could just picture it.  His dumbfounded look.  According to Santo, it seemed that he didn't even know what he did wrong, or that he did anything wrong at all.

You know there's a problem with your shortstop when he's out-awared by Ron Santo.

Taylor

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:13 PM »
I have to admit to having this hope delusion that not only will Kerry Wood come back healthy, but he'll be so strong when he comes back that by mid-August he replaces Marquis in the rotation.
"Now I can start to see some of the ways that this team has lost ball games." Lou

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »
Quote from: butthead on July 26, 2007, 09:55:49 PM
I can't get too upset about Marquis. He's just a guy. Not good. Not horrible. He's there because Z can't pitch everyday. You can't get too excited about Z or too upset with the 5th guy. The key is the three lefties. Everybody hates their 5th starter.

I just hope it doesn't come down to the last few days and Marquis goes to the mound in a game that the Cubs absolutely must win. There's a reason Atlanta let him go and there's a reason the Cardinals didn't even have him on the postseason roster last year.

As far as the playoff race goes, looks like every team that is either near the Cubs or the Cubs are chasing lost today/tonight. I'm sure the Cubs could find many excruciating ways to not make the playoffs, but the one thing that would absolutely piss me off would be if the Cubs lost the Wild Card by one game to the Braves. Not only because I just hate the Braves (Other than the Cardinals, White Sox and Yankees I hate them the most) but that M-Fer of an umpire that ejected Lilly on the freaking third pitch of the game or whatever it was against the Braves would have essentially cost the Cubs a chance at the playoffs.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Old Style Man

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2007, 10:45:10 PM »
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on July 26, 2007, 09:02:29 PM
Too many here are getting all "4-letter" on us here. Since when is winning 2/3 in the New Urinal Cake a bad thing? Me satisfied.

I agree. It was still a successful series. Anybody that thinks otherwise is over reacting. Marquis shit his pants. That isn't good, but it isn't the end of the world.

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2007, 10:48:18 PM »
Everybody hates their 5th starter.

But not everybody gives them three-year, $21 million contracts.

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2007, 10:49:49 PM »
Recent Cubs winning teams, 5-hole comparisons--

(04): Jason Marquis or Glen-done? Rusch's career year, I take G-Unit.
(03): Jason Marquis or Shawn F. Estes? I'll take de Suck.
(01): Jason Marquis or Kevin Tapani? OK, I'll take Tap.
(98): Jason Marquis or Mark Clark/J(G)eremi Gonzalez? I'll take de Suck.
(93): Jason Marquis or Frank F. Castillo? Are you kidding? I'll take de Suck.
(89): Jason Marquis or Paul Kilgus? I'll take de Suck.
(84): Jason Marquis or Dick Ruthven? I'll take de Suck.

de Suck ranks 3/7 for the Cubs #5 starters. Livable situation.
RETIRED

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2007, 10:51:25 PM »
Quote from: EG on July 26, 2007, 10:48:18 PM

I'm sorry, did you have to write that check? You did? Damn, sucks to be you.
RETIRED

EG

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2007, 11:09:32 PM »
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on July 26, 2007, 10:51:25 PM

This is a stupid argument.  Of course I didn't write the check.  Of course it's not MY money.  Blah blah blah.  But when the Cubs give $7 million a year to a shitty pitcher, it ties up money the Cubs could spend on better players.

helloWorld

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
Quote from: Corn-fed on July 26, 2007, 09:57:19 PM
Quote from: Down In Front on July 26, 2007, 09:02:41 PM
According to Santo, Cedeno had NO IDEA what he was doing, as he came in for the SAC but didn't keep an eye on Molina so he could backtrack to the bag.

I could just picture it.  His dumbfounded look.  According to Santo, it seemed that he didn't even know what he did wrong, or that he did anything wrong at all.

You know there's a problem with your shortstop when he's out-awared by the broadcasting semi-senile, semi-legless, semi-blind (usually very amusing) version of Ron Santo.

Santo was an aware, and pretty darn good, hot corner man'd
Geovany Soto is my own personal jebus.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »
Quote from: EG on July 26, 2007, 11:09:32 PM

This is a stupid argument.  Of course I didn't write the check.  Of course it's not MY money.  Blah blah blah.  But when the Cubs give $7 million a year to a shitty pitcher, it ties up money the Cubs could spend on better players.

Who else was available? I really don't remember. It seems like they had a couple of options....spend 7 mill on a guy that throws baseballs instead of towels once every five days, or spend 7 mill on bus fare for the endless parade of stiffs from Iowa that took the place of the often injured simulated game all-stars.

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »
Quote from: butthead on July 27, 2007, 10:19:29 AM

Who else was available? I really don't remember. It seems like they had a couple of options....spend 7 mill on a guy that throws baseballs instead of towels once every five days, or spend 7 mill on bus fare for the endless parade of stiffs from Iowa that took the place of the often injured simulated game all-stars.

Who else? Lots of guys. I'll tell you this - the Cubs waaaaaaay over-spent for a #5 starting pitcher that no other team was interested in. Much like last year, when they gave 3 years to a RF that no other team was even offering 2 to.

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »
Quote from: Taylor on July 26, 2007, 10:19:13 PM
I have to admit to having this hope delusion that not only will Kerry Wood come back healthy, but he'll be so strong when he comes back that by mid-August he replaces Marquis in the rotation.

You're with me, leather Taylor.  I've been having the same fantasy.  I feel like a four-letter guy, only my fantasy doesn't end with Adam Dunn and Kent Mercker going all bukkake on me.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2007, 10:35:34 AM »
Quote from: Fourk on July 27, 2007, 10:21:22 AM
Quote from: butthead on July 27, 2007, 10:19:29 AM

Who else? Lots of guys. I'll tell you this - the Cubs waaaaaaay over-spent for a #5 starting pitcher that no other team was interested in. Much like last year, when they gave 3 years to a RF that no other team was even offering 2 to.

You're right. They way over paid. I just can't get upset about a few million here or there when the team has the money to spend. This isn't like the NBA where a bad contract can hamper what a team is able to do. The only way the Marquis contract is a problem is if the new owner lets it be.

EG

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »
Quote from: butthead on July 27, 2007, 10:35:34 AM
This isn't like the NBA where a bad contract can hamper what a team is able to do.

Sure it is.  Look at the Jacque contract.  We overpaid for him, and now we can't even get rid of him because no one else wants to pay that contract (no one even wants to pay half of that contract).  So we're stuck with him.  And that's just a minor example.  Bigger mistakes, like the Chan Ho park deal, have put teams in binds for years.

And if you want to see how a bad deal can hamper a team up close, wait until we're paying Soriano $18 million in 2014.

JS

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »
Quote from: Kermit on July 27, 2007, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: Taylor on July 26, 2007, 10:19:13 PM

You're with me, leather Taylor.  I've been having the same fantasy.  I feel like a four-letter guy, only my fantasy doesn't end with Adam Dunn and Kent Mercker going all bukkake on me.

Well, the talk of getting Wood back is like making a big trade at the deadline has begun again. Gammons said it this morning and I have heard it a couple of other times this week.