News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 60,058 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »
As a lawyer representing working people I was appalled at what was tantamount to a worker paying his boss to work for him.   As I recall, Dawson signed a form contract with the dollar amount left blank for the team to fill in.  
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on January 29, 2010, 01:19:02 PM
Eric Byrnes walks into Jim Hendry's office with a blank check..

...and somewhere in Arizona, a boner is popped.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 30, 2010, 11:24:18 AM
I know it's a car commercial, but even then GM sucked at selling cars. But they did a great job recording the Hawk's love for Chicago.

That Chevy commercial convinced me, it's the kind of thing that makes me sit down and go "wow, I need to buy an Andre Dawson right now."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
In case anyone wants to crash the Hawk HOF party...

What- Dawson Cocktail Reception
When- Saturday, July 24th
Time- 9:00pm to 11:00pm
Place- Hoffman Lane Bistro (www.hoffmanlanebistro.com)
Address- 2 Hoffman Lane, Cooperstown , NY 13326
Dress- Business Attire
Once again, this event is separate from the regular Hall of Fame Weekend festivities and it's a private event hosted by the Chicago Cubs.

Link.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 20, 2010, 02:40:31 PM

Dress- Business Attire
Once again, this event is separate from the regular Hall of Fame Weekend festivities and it's a private event hosted by the Chicago Cubs.

Link.

Natch. And what are the Expos doing for the Hawk? Nothing. They'll probably send Tim Wallach to the party to bash Dawson in both knees with a pick axe for old time's sake.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
Lou Piniella is, according to Joe Sheehan.

Piniella has exemplified practical sabermetrics -- an understanding of the costs and benefits of the stolen base attempt -- and gotten no credit for doing so.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 20, 2010, 02:52:35 PM

Dress- Business Attire

Link.

Natch. And what are the Expos doing for the Hawk? Nothing. They'll probably send Tim Wallach to the party to bash Dawson in both knees with a pick axe for old time's sake.

They, uh, kind of don't exist anymore.  But I'm sure some smelly French Canadian will drink a bottle of wine in commemoration. 
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 21, 2010, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 20, 2010, 02:52:35 PM

Dress- Business Attire

Link.

They, uh, kind of don't exist anymore.  But I'm sure some smelly French Canadian will drink a bottle of wine set a car on fire in commemoration. 

Habs.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »
Damn I love the Hawk. Got a little dusty in here during his speech. I don't care if it makes me sound like an old meatball - they just don't make classy bad dudes like him anymore.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2010, 06:12:19 PM »
Quote from: R-V on July 25, 2010, 04:04:21 PM
Damn I love the Hawk. Got a little dusty in here during his speech. I don't care if it makes me sound like an old meatball - they just don't make classy bad dudes like him anymore.

Intrepid reader: Dusty Baker

Dude never clogged the bases, always picked the right time to hustle and hit a lot better during those hot summer months. You know, because he's black, big-time.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 05, 2011, 04:41:17 PM
B.J. Surhoff

The guy's explained himself later on ESPN:

Quote"In 1976, I was just out of college and working my first job at the Port Chester (NY) Daily Item, covering a Babe Ruth 13-year-old tournament. The starting pitcher for the team from Rye was supposed to be their star, a big kid named Rich Surhoff, whose father Dick had played for the NY Knicks in the 1950s. Surhoff did, in fact, make it t the major leagues, spending nine games with the Philadelphia Phillies. But that day, the pitcher's younger brother was the one who caught my attention. He was only 12 years old and playing with the older kids, playing shortstop. On consecutive plays, I saw him range behind third base to the left field line and throw out a runner, then range the other way all the way behind first to catch a tricky pop that eluded a teammate.

After that game, I told BJ I thought that someday, I'd be watching him in the major leagues. For the next few years, I watched BJ become a local star at Rye HS, covering his games occasionally. And I remember telling him then that someday, I'd be voting for him for the Hall of Fame. Surhoff, went on to a career at UNC, became the No. 1 pick of the draft, played on our first Olympic baseball team. He had a very good (though not great) career for 18 years in MLB. And then there he was on my ballot (I've been a BBWAA member since 1985 and have had a Hall of Fame vote since '95). So I remembered that promise (though I honestly can't say if BJ does) and checked the box.

The reaction to that astounds me. I expected people who didn't know the story to question that vote. But the sheer level of nastiness, the anger, amazes me. I really didn't think BJ would get elected. I'd be surprised if he got another vote besides mine. And I'm fine with that. BJ was a very good player and a good guy (check out the work he's done for autism, sparked by his autistic son). He earned the fulfillment of that 35-year-old promise. And who, exactly did that hurt? If voting for BJ cost someone who deserved entry, I wouldn't have done it. And if the rules said that everybody who got one vote got in, then I definitely wouldn't have done it. But it didn't."

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »
I find this funny...

Quote(check out the work he's done for autism, sparked by his autistic son)

... thanks to this...

QuoteThis is a ballot that eats crayons.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.