News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Help a moran help others...  ( 13,340 )

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Help a moran help others...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
Quote from: Jon on March 04, 2009, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on March 04, 2009, 04:02:19 PM
Quote from: Slakee on March 04, 2009, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: CBStew on March 04, 2009, 01:07:35 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 04, 2009, 10:12:45 AM

Thanks to all who helped me out with this. There's still time, and every little bit helps.

Fork, my cousin died last night.  She was only 63.  Her cancer started as breast cancer and then spread.  She suffered a great deal this last year.  This latest contribution is in her memory.

Sorry to hear about that Stew.

I'll echo that sentiment as well, Stew.  I'm sorry for your loss.

Same here.

My condolences, Stew.  I lost my mother last April to lung cancer (she never smoked).  It's a brutal experience for everyone involved.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on March 06, 2009, 04:35:26 PM

Thanks to all who helped me out with this. There's still time, and every little bit helps.

Fork, my cousin died last night.  She was only 63.  Her cancer started as breast cancer and then spread.  She suffered a great deal this last year.  This latest contribution is in her memory.

Same here.

My condolences, Stew.  I lost my mother last April to lung cancer (she never smoked).  It's a brutal experience for everyone involved.

Damn.  Sorry to hear that, IR.
Hire Jim Essian!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 06, 2009, 05:11:40 PM

Same here.

My heart goes out to you.  One of my law partners had a daughter who was a nonsmoker yet developed lung cancer in her early thirties which metastasized to brain cancer.   She suffered for over a year.  My partner was on a case in Washington DC and his wife called him and said that he had better get back to California because his daughter wasn't expected to live another day.  He flew back and got as far as the lobby of San Francisco International Airport.  He felt unwell and went into the restroom where he died of a heart attack without knowing that his daughter was already dead.  His wife called me at 3:00am to tell me that she had lost her daughter and her husband on the same day.
On another note, probably none of you are in the target group for prostate cancer, and I know that there is controversy about screening for people who aren't in the group because of false positives.  I am on the side of screening early and often.  My father died of prostate cancer at the age of 72,  and my brother had a prostatectomy at the age of 60.  He is now age 75 and apparently has prostate cancer again.  If you think that you have a bad diagnosis, get a second and a third opinion.   We make jokes about it, and that is a good thing, because getting a finger stuck up your ass is probably not the worst thing that is ever going to happen to you and the jokes call attention to a very serious disease in a light hearted and humanizing way.  The episode of Family Guy where each of the men decide that they were violated by the proctologist helped men who watched it see how trivial it is to feel embarrassed and too manly to get the exam.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 06, 2009, 05:48:29 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 06, 2009, 05:11:40 PM

Same here.

My heart goes out to you.  One of my law partners had a daughter who was a nonsmoker yet developed lung cancer in her early thirties which metastasized to brain cancer.   She suffered for over a year.  My partner was on a case in Washington DC and his wife called him and said that he had better get back to California because his daughter wasn't expected to live another day.  He flew back and got as far as the lobby of San Francisco International Airport.  He felt unwell and went into the restroom where he died of a heart attack without knowing that his daughter was already dead.  His wife called me at 3:00am to tell me that she had lost her daughter and her husband on the same day.
On another note, probably none of you are in the target group for prostate cancer, and I know that there is controversy about screening for people who aren't in the group because of false positives.  I am on the side of screening early and often.  My father died of prostate cancer at the age of 72,  and my brother had a prostatectomy at the age of 60.  He is now age 75 and apparently has prostate cancer again.  If you think that you have a bad diagnosis, get a second and a third opinion.   We make jokes about it, and that is a good thing, because getting a finger stuck up your ass is probably not the worst thing that is ever going to happen to you and the jokes call attention to a very serious disease in a light hearted and humanizing way.  The episode of Family Guy where each of the men decide that they were violated by the proctologist helped men who watched it see how trivial it is to feel embarrassed and too manly to get the exam.

Que Fork.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 12:52:43 AM »

Very sorry about your loss. I can relate to what you went through.

My grandmother had cancer that started in her ear, and she had emphysema, which complicated things. She really suffered for about six months, and everyone in the family had to run all over Chicago, taking her to doctors, etc. Finally she went to Northwestern, where they told her they couldn't operate.

She went home and was dead within a week, near the end of this January. The whole family had walked around in a zombie state that whole six-month period, and I thought the funeral wouldn't be as bad because there would've been a level of acceptance, but it was quite the opposite. More like a realization that all of the effort everyone had put in wasn't enough.

We drove up to Glendale Heights for the funeral, which was one of the toughest I've ever been to.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Over the last four years my teenage children have had the unfortunate experience of watching three of their grandparents succumb to slow and very painful deaths to cancer.
A fourth grandparent passed away to cancer before they were born.
To all those here that have also had this horrible disease touch their lives, I extend my deepest sympathies.

Cancer makes me ANGRY.
You are doing a good thing here Fork. I'm happy to contribute.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »
Stew, my prayers go out to you.  My mom died from breast cancer when I was 15.  Cancer is a rather serious tragedy. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »

We joke about a lot of shit here, cancer being among the topics.

But when stoop comes to grunt, it's a cold bitch.

You guys have really stepped up. I really appreciate it.

And, yes, at age 46, you bet your (ahem) ass I get checked on an annual basis.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 08, 2009, 05:38:30 PM

You're 46 years old and post on a messageboard?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 07:32:41 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on March 08, 2009, 09:28:45 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 08, 2009, 05:38:30 PM

You're 46 years old and post on a messageboard?

Gives me something to do when I'm not playing video games.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 06:00:08 PM »
I am up on my soap box again.  If you are interested in the latest in prostate cancer treatment, read this:

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20090310/male-lumpectomy-for-prostate-cancer?src=RSS_PUBLIC
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »

Thanks to all. LFork and I raised over a grand, and the event raised $61K.

Any other good Samaritans, keep the thread going.
TIME TO POST!

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 11:41:43 PM »
I just spent the last x-number of days watching my sister dropkick a brain tumor for the 4th time.  This time, it ain't comin' back.  I will see to that. 

We were home from the hospital in time to watch the Cubs' first game of the season.  I'da liked to been here for Opening Day 2009, but considering what has gone on over the last decade, there was no finer place to have taken in that particular ball game.  Go Cubs.

That same "Go Cubs" sentiment, I pass along to all of you who fight the good fight.  May there come a day where all maladies and mishaps are made into myth.  May that day be tomorrow.

Thanks to those who have shared their stories.  You will find that in times of need, a little bit of support goes a long, long way. 

Best wishes to all!
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »
Quote from: Simmer on April 08, 2009, 11:41:43 PM
I just spent the last x-number of days watching my sister dropkick a brain tumor for the 4th time.  This time, it ain't comin' back.  I will see to that. 

We were home from the hospital in time to watch the Cubs' first game of the season.  I'da liked to been here for Opening Day 2009, but considering what has gone on over the last decade, there was no finer place to have taken in that particular ball game.  Go Cubs.

That same "Go Cubs" sentiment, I pass along to all of you who fight the good fight.  May there come a day where all maladies and mishaps are made into myth.  May that day be tomorrow.

Thanks to those who have shared their stories.  You will find that in times of need, a little bit of support goes a long, long way. 

Best wishes to all!

Best wishes to you and your sister, too.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on April 08, 2009, 11:48:40 PM
Quote from: Simmer on April 08, 2009, 11:41:43 PM

Best wishes to all!

Best wishes to you and your sister, too.

Amen, brother.