News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread  ( 15,666 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 24, 2009, 03:33:51 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 24, 2009, 09:41:56 AM
Is any other NFL team handicapped as much by having a style of football they're supposed to play?  There's the Bear weather thing, which I suppose ties in with the idea that "Bear football" means running the ball well.  I don't understand why a sports franchise with ever-changing personnel should have a locked-in style of play from year to year.

It's one thing if fans and announcers want to talk about it.  It's another if the team's head coach actually believes it.

"Playing Bear Football" is management codespeak for "We don't want to pay a lot for quarterback".

But now they're paying a lot for a quarterback, even though Jay Cutler is sparing Carlos Zambrano from all of Kaplan's wrath.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 24, 2009, 03:42:19 PM
Is any other NFL team handicapped as much by having a style of football they're supposed to play?  There's the Bear weather thing, which I suppose ties in with the idea that "Bear football" means running the ball well.  I don't understand why a sports franchise with ever-changing personnel should have a locked-in style of play from year to year.

It's one thing if fans and announcers want to talk about it.  It's another if the team's head coach actually believes it.

"Playing Bear Football" is management codespeak for "We don't want to pay a lot for quarterback".

But now they're paying a lot for a quarterback, even though Jay Cutler is sparing Carlos Zambrano from all of Kaplan's wrath.

The Steelers have the same philosophy that the Bears have always claimed to have. They're just a hell of a lot better at it. The Bears didn't try not to have a good quarterback. They just sucked at finding one.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 03:45:21 PM

The Steelers have the same philosophy that the Bears have always claimed to have. They're just a hell of a lot better at it. The Bears didn't try not to have a good quarterback. They just sucked at finding one.

To be fair, the Steelers sucked at finding a good QB for about 20 years between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

My Bubby Brister jersey will attest to that.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 24, 2009, 05:08:28 PM

To be fair, the Steelers sucked at finding a good QB for about 20 years between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

So there you go. Utler + 2011 = SUPER BEARS SUPER BOWL! SUPER BEARS SUPER BOWL!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 05:30:15 PM

As long as we're going with the correlation, Cutler seems more like the O'Donnell than the Roethlisberger in this scenario. 

Which means you're only a Kordell and a Maddox away from finding your next great QB.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 24, 2009, 05:42:56 PM

As long as we're going with the correlation, Cutler seems more like the O'Donnell than the Roethlisberger in this scenario. 

Which means you're only a Kordell and a Maddox away from finding your next great QB.

Wrong. Grossman = O'Donnell. Greise = Maddox. Orton = Your mom.

Utler = SUPER BEARS SUPER BOWL!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 05:58:55 PM »
SUPAH BEARS SUPAH BOWL!
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 05:58:17 PM

Wrong. Grossman = O'Donnell. Greise = Maddox. Orton = Your mom.

Utler = SUPER BEARS SUPER BOWL!

My mom's neckbeard is way more impressive than Orton's.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 06:07:23 PM »

We get it, you hate Jay Cutler.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 24, 2009, 06:07:23 PM

We get it, you hate Jay Cutler.

DRLP.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2009, 07:39:33 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 24, 2009, 09:47:43 AM
Just a hunch...I'm guessing that weather adds randomness and chance to a game, not the other way around.  In other words, I think bad weather handicaps the more talented teams.  Bad weather makes the better team lose more often than it should on any given Sunday.  Does that make sense?

Why should something as compeletly unpredicatable as weather have an effect on a football game or a season?

I disagree on a few different points.

I don't think bad weather lets bad teams play with good ones.  The really good teams are the ones that can play both a speed/timing based offense/defense and a power one.  Bad teams are typically only able to do one thing.  You take a flawed power team versus a flawed speed team and the field conditions are going to make a big difference.  But a good team can play even with either on their favorable field and house them otherwise.  Good coordinators have systems that don't assume they can power run at will and don't assume they can run timing routes successfully every week, they adapt to the conditions and opposing strengths.  Shitty coordinators try and do the same shit every week and are shocked when it only works when it's a favorable match-up.  If every team played in a dome we'd have a lot of arena league style ball to watch.  Personally, I abhor the idea but I have to concede that it's aesthetic and there's nothing wrong with liking pure speed football.

I like that the weather changes the dynamics of the game.  It adds extra levels to the strategy and the narrative of the game.  And both teams play in the same weather so it's not like it's a random factor.  I think it's one of the aspects that draws me to football over the NBA where the biggest factor between games always feels like just being whichever team gets fucked more by the refs.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 07:31:07 AM »

No to mention, coaches and GMs will tailor their teams to fit the environment. One of the reasons dome teams have trouble playing outdoors, especially in December, is that they built the team to play on a field with no variables - the temperature is always the same, the wind is nonexistent, and there's no rain/snow.

It's easier for a team that is built to play outdoors to adapt to shitty conditions than it is for a team that is built to play indoors.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2009, 08:22:55 AM »
Quote from: Pre on November 24, 2009, 07:39:33 PM
Quote from: Oleg on November 24, 2009, 09:47:43 AM
Just a hunch...I'm guessing that weather adds randomness and chance to a game, not the other way around.  In other words, I think bad weather handicaps the more talented teams.  Bad weather makes the better team lose more often than it should on any given Sunday.  Does that make sense?

Why should something as compeletly unpredicatable as weather have an effect on a football game or a season?

I disagree on a few different points.

I don't think bad weather lets bad teams play with good ones.  The really good teams are the ones that can play both a speed/timing based offense/defense and a power one.  Bad teams are typically only able to do one thing.  You take a flawed power team versus a flawed speed team and the field conditions are going to make a big difference.  But a good team can play even with either on their favorable field and house them otherwise.  Good coordinators have systems that don't assume they can power run at will and don't assume they can run timing routes successfully every week, they adapt to the conditions and opposing strengths.  Shitty coordinators try and do the same shit every week and are shocked when it only works when it's a favorable match-up.  If every team played in a dome we'd have a lot of arena league style ball to watch.  Personally, I abhor the idea but I have to concede that it's aesthetic and there's nothing wrong with liking pure speed football.

I like that the weather changes the dynamics of the game.  It adds extra levels to the strategy and the narrative of the game.  And both teams play in the same weather so it's not like it's a random factor.  I think it's one of the aspects that draws me to football over the NBA where the biggest factor between games always feels like just being whichever team gets fucked more by the refs.

I would do well just to shut up and let Pre make all my points for me. But I just can't help myself. I

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 08:31:59 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 25, 2009, 07:31:07 AM

No to mention, coaches and GMs will tailor their teams to fit the environment. One of the reasons dome teams have trouble playing outdoors, especially in December, is that they built the team to play on a field with no variables - the temperature is always the same, the wind is nonexistent, and there's no rain/snow.

It's easier for a team that is built to play outdoors to adapt to shitty conditions than it is for a team that is built to play indoors.

I agree with exactly none of this.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »
Quote from: Andy on November 25, 2009, 08:31:59 AM
Quote from: Fork on November 25, 2009, 07:31:07 AM

I agree with exactly none of this.

FANK IS FOOTBALL CHUCK!!!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16