News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread  ( 15,672 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 08:23:24 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on September 17, 2009, 03:58:18 PM
Quote from: Fork on September 17, 2009, 02:39:52 PM
Quote from: Andy on September 17, 2009, 02:38:30 PM
It's too bad Chicago doesn't have a soccer only stadium.

http://www.toyotapark.com/

No way in Hell World Cup matches get played in a place that holds less than the United Center.

It's like people go, "Soccer, who gives a fuck?" When's the last time some of you set foot in Chicago? There are at least 8 billion Mexicans living here. In Bucktown.

Soccer, who gives a fuck?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »
Nudge.  At halftime Andrea Kremer says some Bears players were complaining about the condition of the field.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
And the field was complaining about the quality of the Bears.

Am I right?

Who's with me?

Reuschels_Jowls

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on September 17, 2009, 11:24:20 AM
Quote from: Andy on September 17, 2009, 11:19:35 AM
Quote from: fiveouts on September 17, 2009, 09:52:19 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to spend 3-4 million to put in field turf instead of constantly replacing the sod?

I wonder which connected developer has the contract to re-sod the field.

It would absolutely be cheaper.  Hell, there are high schools who have put it in because in the long run it's cheaper than trying to water, mow, reseed, paint the lines, etc. on real grass.

Plus, Lovie tries to fill his team with fast guys, why not take better advantage of that speed?  

I honestly think the only reason there's grass there is because of all the meatheads who think the Bears play "real football" on "real grass."  (Even if it's mostly painted dirt by week six.)  

I remember the Bears and the Park District taking a public victory lap when they tore up the awful old AstroTurf and put grass in 20 years ago.

You could argue pretty convincingly that spending what they did on Soldier Field and not putting a roof on it anyway was a terrible mistake.  Because really, why would Chicago ever want to host a Final Four or a Super Bowl, or the Olympics, or something silly like that?

They could have gone retractble, thus preventing any meathead fears that football should only be played outside in "Bears weather"

THIS.

Easily the dumbest thing about the whole Soldier Field renovation. Once they were going with the spaceship design, they should have just slapped the retractable roof on and been done with it, already.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 06:12:17 AM »
Quote from: Reuschels_Jowls on November 23, 2009, 11:18:56 PM
Quote from: Waco Kid on September 17, 2009, 11:24:20 AM
Quote from: Andy on September 17, 2009, 11:19:35 AM
Quote from: fiveouts on September 17, 2009, 09:52:19 AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to spend 3-4 million to put in field turf instead of constantly replacing the sod?

I wonder which connected developer has the contract to re-sod the field.

It would absolutely be cheaper.  Hell, there are high schools who have put it in because in the long run it's cheaper than trying to water, mow, reseed, paint the lines, etc. on real grass.

Plus, Lovie tries to fill his team with fast guys, why not take better advantage of that speed?  

I honestly think the only reason there's grass there is because of all the meatheads who think the Bears play "real football" on "real grass."  (Even if it's mostly painted dirt by week six.)  

I remember the Bears and the Park District taking a public victory lap when they tore up the awful old AstroTurf and put grass in 20 years ago.

You could argue pretty convincingly that spending what they did on Soldier Field and not putting a roof on it anyway was a terrible mistake.  Because really, why would Chicago ever want to host a Final Four or a Super Bowl, or the Olympics, or something silly like that?

They could have gone retractble, thus preventing any meathead fears that football should only be played outside in "Bears weather"

THIS.

Easily the dumbest thing about the whole Soldier Field renovation. Once they were going with the spaceship design, they should have just slapped the retractable roof on and been done with it, already.

No thanks. I'm not going to sit here thinking there's "Bear Weather" but in my opinion, football should still be played outdoors, you know, with real grass (at least shit that's taken care of. I could deal with field turf, though) in whatever weather is out there. And the fact that the Super Bowl doesn't go somewhere where it's not cold is a separate issue.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
They have these roofs that you can open and close.  It's like a sunroof, only for stadiums.  They've got one in Milwaukee that works about 40 percent of the time.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »
Quote from: Andy on November 24, 2009, 08:48:57 AM
They have these roofs that you can open and close.  It's like a sunroof, only for stadiums.  They've got one in Milwaukee that works about 40 percent of the time.

everytime
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 08:55:02 AM »

Sure, they open and close, but you know at the first chance of rain or snow or sub 30 degree weather, they'd close that shit.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 09:11:16 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 24, 2009, 08:55:02 AM

Sure, they open and close, but you know at the first chance of rain or snow or sub 30 degree weather, they'd close that shit.

And why not?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 24, 2009, 09:11:16 AM

And why not?

BEAR DOWN IN BEAR WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 09:35:26 AM »

And why not?

Yeti prefers to watch world-class athletes perform with the unnecessary built-in handicap of shitty conditions. It's the same reason he plays video games with one hand.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on November 24, 2009, 09:17:57 AM

And why not?

BEAR DOWN IN BEAR WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear weather!

Woof Woof Woof

Yeah, we aren't those Nancies from Frisco! WOOO!

Without a dome, da bears will crush dose southern teams in the playoffs!

Lemme tell ya, without a Dome, we'll have a BIG advantage over teams that play in domes, especially when passing teams play in rain and wind and shit!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:30 AM »

And why not?

"Why not" what? That question's pretty vague. But if you're saying "Why not close the stadium?" then my reasoning is this: I've always felt that football can be played outside and should be. There are few weather conditions that actually cause the cancellation of the game. I have a thing for snowbowls and nice sloppy rain-filled fields. There are few things that I get caught up on "it's the tradition" but this is one of them. This isn't about BEAR WEATHER because if all of these players came from Chicago, then it might make sense, but when you have players from Florida, Texas, etc., it means nothing, because I'm sure those guys don't actually like the 10 degree games.

When it comes to baseball, I'm all for a retractable dome. It's unpossible to play when it's raining (or snowing.. Have fun Minnesota.).

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »
Is any other NFL team handicapped as much by having a style of football they're supposed to play?  There's the Bear weather thing, which I suppose ties in with the idea that "Bear football" means running the ball well.  I don't understand why a sports franchise with ever-changing personnel should have a locked-in style of play from year to year.

It's one thing if fans and announcers want to talk about it.  It's another if the team's head coach actually believes it.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »
The home team has an advantage in a weather game. If you don't see that, you're brain dead. Why you'd want to take that natural advantage away from your team is beyond me. It's not the only advantage that matters. Far from it. But... (slams hand on desk) God damnit, the Bears lost home playoff games because they weren't as good as the other team. They'd have lost no matter the weather. But ask IAN's Saints if the weather was a factor in 2006.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.