News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread  ( 15,674 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: McCaskey Family/Chicago Park District Cheap/Dumbassery Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 24, 2009, 09:38:30 AM
There are few things that I get caught up on "it's the tradition" but this is one of them.

If you really want to embrace this statfag thing you've got going, it means you have to let go of (and preferably mock) tradition.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 24, 2009, 09:41:56 AM
Is any other NFL team handicapped as much by having a style of football they're supposed to play?  There's the Bear weather thing, which I suppose ties in with the idea that "Bear football" means running the ball well.  I don't understand why a sports franchise with ever-changing personnel should have a locked-in style of play from year to year.

It's one thing if fans and announcers want to talk about it.  It's another if the team's head coach actually believes it.

Many time over: THIS!

Just a hunch...I'm guessing that weather adds randomness and chance to a game, not the other way around.  In other words, I think bad weather handicaps the more talented teams.  Bad weather makes the better team lose more often than it should on any given Sunday.  Does that make sense?

Why should something as compeletly unpredicatable as weather have an effect on a football game or a season?

Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 09:44:48 AM
The home team has an advantage in a weather game. If you don't see that, you're brain dead. Why you'd want to take that natural advantage away from your team is beyond me. It's not the only advantage that matters. Far from it. But... (slams hand on desk) God damnit, the Bears lost home playoff games because they weren't as good as the other team. They'd have lost no matter the weather. But ask IAN's Saints if the weather was a factor in 2006.

This is the least smart thing you've ever typed.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »
Bullshit. I've typed way dumber things than that.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 24, 2009, 09:45:43 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 24, 2009, 09:38:30 AM
There are few things that I get caught up on "it's the tradition" but this is one of them.

If you really want to embrace this statfag thing you've got going, it means you have to let go of (and preferably mock) tradition.

Can I be a major statfag for baseball? and be a slight statfag for football (i.e. hanging on to things like domes and how I'd hate the Bears if they got one)?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 09:49:13 AM
Bullshit. I've typed way dumber things than that.

Fine.  Please leave me to my hyperbole.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 24, 2009, 09:47:43 AM
Is any other NFL team handicapped as much by having a style of football they're supposed to play?  There's the Bear weather thing, which I suppose ties in with the idea that "Bear football" means running the ball well.  I don't understand why a sports franchise with ever-changing personnel should have a locked-in style of play from year to year.

It's one thing if fans and announcers want to talk about it.  It's another if the team's head coach actually believes it.

Just a hunch...I'm guessing that weather adds randomness and chance to a game, not the other way around.  In other words, I think bad weather handicaps the more talented teams.  Bad weather makes the better team lose more often than it should on any given Sunday.  Does that make sense?

Why should something as compeletly unpredicatable as weather have an effect on a football game or a season?

The home team has an advantage in a weather game. If you don't see that, you're brain dead. Why you'd want to take that natural advantage away from your team is beyond me. It's not the only advantage that matters. Far from it. But... (slams hand on desk) God damnit, the Bears lost home playoff games because they weren't as good as the other team. They'd have lost no matter the weather. But ask IAN's Saints if the weather was a factor in 2006.

Oleg is... right?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 24, 2009, 09:52:11 AM
Quote from: Oleg on November 24, 2009, 09:47:43 AM
Is any other NFL team handicapped as much by having a style of football they're supposed to play?  There's the Bear weather thing, which I suppose ties in with the idea that "Bear football" means running the ball well.  I don't understand why a sports franchise with ever-changing personnel should have a locked-in style of play from year to year.

It's one thing if fans and announcers want to talk about it.  It's another if the team's head coach actually believes it.

Oleg is... right?

Thank God.  Wait...what?

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
Well, there is no roof. So suck it.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 10:17:53 AM

Thanks to your good friend Daley.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 10:23:33 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 24, 2009, 10:22:48 AM

He's done some wonderful things by the Lakefront. We're truly blessed.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 10:23:33 AM

Charter One Pavilion is a great venue for a summer concert. 

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 10:29:26 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 24, 2009, 10:25:32 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 24, 2009, 10:23:33 AM

Charter One Pavilion is a great venue for a summer concert. 

X marks the fun!

WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 12:32:11 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 24, 2009, 09:36:18 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on November 24, 2009, 09:17:57 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 24, 2009, 09:11:16 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 24, 2009, 08:55:02 AM
Quote from: Andy on November 24, 2009, 08:48:57 AM
They have these roofs that you can open and close.  It's like a sunroof, only for stadiums.  They've got one in Milwaukee that works about 40 percent of the time.

Sure, they open and close, but you know at the first chance of rain or snow or sub 30 degree weather, they'd close that shit.

And why not?

BEAR DOWN IN BEAR WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear weather!

Woof Woof Woof

Yeah, we aren't those Nancies from Frisco! WOOO!

Without a dome, da bears will crush dose southern teams in the playoffs!

Lemme tell ya, without a Dome, we'll have a BIG advantage over teams that play in domes, especially when passing teams play in rain and wind and shit!

Following this chronologically, Teej, I fully expected the Dallas game after the '91 season to be where I bolded.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
Quote from: MAD on November 24, 2009, 12:32:11 PM
Quote from: Brownie on November 24, 2009, 09:36:18 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on November 24, 2009, 09:17:57 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 24, 2009, 09:11:16 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 24, 2009, 08:55:02 AM
Quote from: Andy on November 24, 2009, 08:48:57 AM
They have these roofs that you can open and close.  It's like a sunroof, only for stadiums.  They've got one in Milwaukee that works about 40 percent of the time.

Sure, they open and close, but you know at the first chance of rain or snow or sub 30 degree weather, they'd close that shit.

And why not?

BEAR DOWN IN BEAR WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear weather!

Woof Woof Woof

Yeah, we aren't those Nancies from Frisco! WOOO!

Without a dome, da bears will crush dose southern teams in the playoffs!

Lemme tell ya, without a Dome, we'll have a BIG advantage over teams that play in domes, especially when passing teams play in rain and wind and shit!

Following this chronologically, Teej, I fully expected the Dallas game after the '91 season to be where I bolded.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find that game on You Tube.

But, I did find more evidence that not having a dome helps the home team! Fork approves of this message.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
Is any other NFL team handicapped as much by having a style of football they're supposed to play?  There's the Bear weather thing, which I suppose ties in with the idea that "Bear football" means running the ball well.  I don't understand why a sports franchise with ever-changing personnel should have a locked-in style of play from year to year.

It's one thing if fans and announcers want to talk about it.  It's another if the team's head coach actually believes it.

"Playing Bear Football" is management codespeak for "We don't want to pay a lot for quarterback".
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."