News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2010 NFL Playoffs Thread  ( 12,566 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2010 NFL Playoffs Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46:51 AM »
You know what will happen in the Dallas-Minnesota game? Favre will turn in a pedestrian 20-36 225 yd, 1 INT, 3 TD game, and we will hear from Buck and Aikman about how unprecedented it is that a man this old, a guy who LOVES THE GAME and PLAYS THE RIGHT WAY and MAKES THOSE AROUND HIM BETTER and IS JUST A COUNTRY BOY FROM MISSISSIPPO and HAS DEALT WITH ALL KINDS OF PERSONAL TRAGEDY can perform like this at age 40 in the playoffs against a "good" team.  Their memories will be short, as we heard all week about how AWESOME Green Bay's secondary (and really their defense in general) is, and how journeyman Kurt Warner was in for a long day.

Warner threw more TD passes than incompletions last night. Had it been the Minnesota Vikings that won at home under the same conditions, ESPN would have a special 3-hour SportsCenter live from Kiln, MS with John Madden coming out of retirement - BOOM! - driving the MaddenCruiser to Eden Prairie, MN, where Brett Favre would have his weekly press briefing.

Warner has played in one more Super Bowl than Brett Favre and won just as many. But he's not a "gunslinger," a guy "clearly having as much fun as a 10-year-old boy would."

Kurt Warner never arrived at a team anointed its starting quarterback. Ron Wolf traded for Favre knowing he wanted him to start under center within a year. Warner was signed to be a third-stringer with St. Louis and a placeholder for Eli Manning and Matt Leinart in New York and Arizona, respectively. It didn't work out in New York, but if I remember correctly, that had more to do with the Giants wanting to get Eli in there that first year.

He's earned his job in AZ and St. Louis. Sure he's had good receivers, but which great quarterback had horseshit receivers?

I am no more a fan of his evangelism than anyone else here, but goddammit, let's state facts: Warner deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Favre. Especially after last night.

In short, fuck Brett Favre.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »
Not only is it awesome to continue to root for the Cardinals (like I always have since birth), but the thought of them winning the Super Bowl and then having Chad Leinart take over and promptly take this team right into the shitter is also fun to root for.  
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 11, 2010, 10:50:41 AM
Not only is it awesome to continue to root for the Cardinals like I always have since birth, but the thought of them winning the Super Bowl and then having Chad Leinart take over and promptly take this time right into the shitter is also fun to root for. 

That's a hell of a sentence.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »
What about joy? I saw some Warner highlights yesterday and I didn't see anywhere near the level of joy that Brett Favre brings with him week in and week out. You can't put a price tag on joy. You can't stop joy. You either got joy or you aint got joy and there's nothing God or Jesus can do to bring joy to any one of us on the football field. God and Jesus are such sourpusses, always with the sacrifice and the burden they carry for us as sinners. I don't need to be reminded of what a turd I am when I watch football. I wanna feel like a little kid on Christmas morning when I open up my presents and get everything I ever wanted and more. That's joy. God and Jesus got nothing on that.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 10:54:17 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on January 11, 2010, 10:52:13 AM
Not only is it awesome to continue to root for the Cardinals like I always have since birth, but the thought of them winning the Super Bowl and then having Chad Leinart take over and promptly take this time right into the shitter is also fun to root for.  

That's a hell of a sentence.

The only thing better than the game are the deals.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
About 8 years ago I won a "Mac, Jurko and Harry--ESPN 1000" t-shirt for correctly naming one of the three coaches in NFL history (at the time) who had been in at least 3 postseasons but had never won a postseason game.  My correct guess was Buddy Ryan.  The other two were Jim Mora and Allie Sherman.

This past weekend brought a new wrinkle to this bit of trivia.  Wade Phillips had joined this list but is now off again by virtue of Dallas' victory.  Before the Dallas game, however, Rex Ryan became the second son of the above three to actually win one.  So 2 of the 3 coaches to have been in at least 3 postseasons without ever winning a playoff game have sons who have won at least one.

I wonder if Allie Sherman has a kid who could coach.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 11, 2010, 10:46:51 AM
Sure he's had good receivers, but which great quarterback had horseshit receivers?

DPD.

Dan Marino?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »
Quote from: MAD on January 11, 2010, 10:56:41 AM
Sure he's had good receivers, but which great quarterback had horseshit receivers?

DPD.

Dan Marino?

Duper and Clayton weren't horseshit, if I recall.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »

DPD.

Dan Marino?

JAKE UTLER??

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on January 11, 2010, 10:57:15 AM

DPD.

Dan Marino?

DPD.

I think Huey is saying that they would have been without Marino.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
Quote from: MAD on January 11, 2010, 10:55:08 AM
About 8 years ago I won a "Mac, Jurko and Harry--ESPN 1000" t-shirt for correctly naming one of the three coaches in NFL history (at the time) who had been in at least 3 postseasons but had never won a postseason game.  My correct guess was Buddy Ryan.  The other two were Jim Mora and Allie Sherman.

I love you just the way you are, Mike.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 11, 2010, 10:58:05 AM

DPD.

Dan Marino?

DPD.

Yep.

Quote from: Eli on January 11, 2010, 10:58:30 AM
Quote from: MAD on January 11, 2010, 10:55:08 AM
About 8 years ago I won a "Mac, Jurko and Harry--ESPN 1000" t-shirt for correctly naming one of the three coaches in NFL history (at the time) who had been in at least 3 postseasons but had never won a postseason game.  My correct guess was Buddy Ryan.  The other two were Jim Mora and Allie Sherman.

I love you just the way you are, Mike.

I'm an excellent driver.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 11, 2010, 10:58:05 AM

DPD.

Dan Marino?

DPD.

D'oh.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
I give Kurt Warner credit because he went out there that one night after his wife died and competed on the field of football battle.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
Not only is it awesome to continue to root for the Cardinals (like I always have since birth), but the thought of them winning the Super Bowl and then having Chad Leinart take over and promptly take this team right into the shitter is also fun to root for.  

That Charley Trippi is a hell of a ballplayer.  Did he get into yesterday's game?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)